• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Frustration about stuck/bugged mobs around Azeroth

Thesneak

Hello everyone,

yesterday i've decided to give a try Kronos so i'm new here. I've heard a lot of good stuff about kronos especially about scripting. :smile: I'm only lvl 8 but i have already come a cross with several stuck/bugged mobs around the world. These mobs cannot be attack, aggroed or anything. It looks like they were bugged after respown.

It's kinda frustrating and confusing to see such a basic thing doesn't work properly. :mellow: I wanna ask if that's something new to Kronos (because of patch or something) or it's a common thing ? Can it be fixed? ( I have already report it )

The reason why i'm saying this is because, this issue might very easily become pretty frustrating for new players like me. It would be a shame really. :smile:

It's not really that big of an issue. You see it regularly but it is never the case that it slows down questing in any way as it is maybe one out of many in a given area where you have to farm mobs for a quest. Other than that you find surprisingly few bugs. Nothing is perfect and if you choose a server you probably will always trade some issues for others.

It is probably a issue with pathfinding technicalities. I usually see it when the server hasn't been restarted in several days.

The good thing is that they do not cause any issues, (except looking dumb) As they do not aggro you. And it is maybe 1-2 each zone, They got a dedicated post on the bugreport site were every bugged respawn is listed.

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=4125

Yes, it's caused by random movement generator, that makes NPCs "wonder around". From time to time it calculates waypoint that leads into obstacle and NPC gets stucked there. Server restart usualy fix it. Fixing that issue is a bit harder than it seems.

We could have something like a server-npc-check every 2 hours (or whatever's convenient) that looks for the position of all npcs that should randomly move, if they stand at the exact same spot as on the previous check they get reseted.

But that would require checking EVERY goddamn npc, keeping track of EVERY position and calculating EVERY comparison at EVERY check.

Even in this case you would get creatures stuck in stuff because players kill them faster than the check.

So yeah, that would likely use too many ressources.

The best idea would be that they don't get stuck in trees to begin with, but the movements must also be random, which allows errors and stuck creatures. (on a side note I heard aoe spells could reset those)

As mentioned above, characters can get stuck by natural movement, by chasing after players and then getting "stuck" once evading. Server restarts generally fix these issues, and yes we aren't happy at the aesthetic look of this type of thing. There are things that can be done to help prevent it, but making it happen takes times and resources. The server has priorities and that is always in flux. While this is something we'd love to get fixed asap, it's not nearly as game breaking or "high demand" as other things so it's not currently on our "to do" list for now.

As I write this, Kronos has been up for 5 days and 17 hours, so it can be a bit more common to see these at this point in the server cycle. Once the server resets, it will be back down to normal/low noticeability.

We're sorry for any issues or frustration this may cause you.

Can we have a server restart everday, in the low-peak hours of the server? And it can be in a random timer everyday(within a 2-3 hour interval) with 3-5 minute warning beforehand so it cannot be abused for farming black lotuses etc. (or you could potentially change the way black lotuses respawn so they dont pop up right away after a restart)

That kinda restart would solve majority of the issues we see in world chat everyday, such as multiple quest mobs spawning, quest NPCs being bugged due to someone failing, mine/herb nodes being invalid targets, mobs being stuck. They are all problems that fix themselves once server restarts. I know having a very long uptime with 500+ players in all times is great and all, shows the stability of the server but a simple restart at a Random time would solve all those problems. Yes, this sounds like a workaround rather than a fix but it would save so much drama and complaints from world chat as well as reduce the workload of GMs with those repetetive tickets.

Last edited:
I also started today and noticed that, as well as boars being stuck under sea in durotar. I know this is not gamebreaking but it really looks unsatisfying for a server of such quality. And since this was in a starting zone I think it might give a bad first impression on new players and I hope it gets fixed eventually. I did play at server start and I don't think this problem was there then (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just curious about that.
I looks like Kronos has fixed spawns for mobs, but each mob can actually spawn in a closeby point to the spawnpoint. Lets say in a 5y radius. And sometimes these new spawnpoints are inside objects such as trees. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Could you not check if the new "random" spawnpoint is within LoS to the fixed one so they won't get stuck in trees? Assuming my assumption with the spawns is correct.

Mob/pet pathing on Kronos isn't the best, mobs sometimes simply walk into trees over time.

Just curious about that.
I looks like Kronos has fixed spawns for mobs, but each mob can actually spawn in a closeby point to the spawnpoint. Lets say in a 5y radius. And sometimes these new spawnpoints are inside objects such as trees. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Could you not check if the new "random" spawnpoint is within LoS to the fixed one so they won't get stuck in trees? Assuming my assumption with the spawns is correct.

This is smart, but appearently the problem isn't only with spawn, monsters walk into trees due to random movement aswell

Last edited:
The dynamic-respawn feature can detect how many players are in the area, and adjust the respawn rate of mobs accordingly. Perhaps a fix would be that if the dynamic-respawn detects 0 players in the area for 15 minutes, then all mobs that are currently alive despawn and appear anew at their starting location?

If a mob despawns in a forest and nobody sees it, did it happen? ^^

Last edited:
The dynamic-respawn feature can detect how many players are in the area, and adjust the respawn rate of mobs accordingly. Perhaps a fix would be that if the dynamic-respawn detects 0 players in the area for 15 minutes, then all mobs that are currently alive despawn and appear anew at their starting location?

That would still mean a zone without players gets resets every 15 minutes, wouldn't that be a lot of resets? And assuming the population increases this might be unlikely to happen, or not happening in some areas (like starting zones and cities where players are often there). Besides you'd have to exclude players in flight paths ?

That would still mean a zone without players gets resets every 15 minutes, wouldn't that be a lot of resets? And assuming the population increases this might be unlikely to happen, or not happening in some areas (like starting zones and cities where players are often there). Besides you'd have to exclude players in flight paths ?

The dynamic-respawn does not track the entire Zone afaik, it tracks small areas. For example in Arathi Highlands:
Stormgarde Keep would be an area, each of the elemental bindings would be a seperate area, etc.
So it's very likely that there is an occurrence of 15 minutes with absence of players several times during the day/night.

There are no reports of npc's being stuck inside walls or trees in cities, so that's not a problem at this point. You are right about the starting-zones, which arguably is the most critical place to have this fixed.

As i have sayed, this have nothing to do with respawns. It's bug in random movement generator that allows NPCs to walk into obstackle. My thought on fixing this is to make NPCs ignore LoS/Pathing obstackles while they are not in combat so the will walk into obstackle, but will walk out again. But it may cause that NPCs in buildings will walk out through wall and that is not good either.

The proper (and much more time consuming) fix is to make random movement generator allways check if calculated waypoint is not in obstackle (or in certain proximity) and if it is, then recalculate it again.

Edit: To the cities - yes, because in cities, there are no NPCs that "wander around" their spawn point. All moving NPCs have exact scripted paths.

Last edited:
This Kodo is very sad about this phenomena. Just look at his face :crying:
WoWScrnShot_020916_133842.jpg

I see this almost everywhere i go here while lvling, never seen this much on a certain other server i've been on.

Thank you everyone for all the info.

I've been playing on Nos. server for over 7 months now and i really cant say that i have come a cross with such a pathfinding issues ( Stuck/bugged mobs). It's kinda shame that this happening on Kronos since Kronos supposed to be better scripted. At least that's something that many people and google says. :wink:

Of corse Nos. have some fundamental issues with pathfinding as well, like trees and many objects don't block line of sight and spellcasting but nothing so much "graphically noticeable". At least from my own experience.

Since i found Nos. too much hyped, toxic and overpopulated server (especially the pvp server) i decided to give a try to Kronos which i considered for much better server when it comes to scripting, community and website features.

However, from what you've said it seems to me that this pathfinding issue is common thing on Kronos. Not even the pathfining but also bugged quest givers. To be honest this finding & bugged quest givers makes me feel sad and disappointed. I didn't expected that and i thing that this should be fixed as soon as possible if Kronos wanna impress new players and want them stay. It's not a gamebraking thing yes, but it's one of the things that average player will notice once he/she login into the game.

Even such a "basic things" can be very frustrating and can discourage new players from coming on Kronos. Personally I don't know right now what to think about Kronos scripting quality.

At least for now i can say that Kronos has nice community and awesome website features. Quite possibly the best i've seen on private wow servers so far :wink:

Last edited:
what bugged quest-givers tho?

Regarding to this post, server has some issues with quest NPC'S. I personaly haven't found any yet since i'm only lvl 11.

That kinda restart would solve majority of the issues we see in world chat everyday, such as multiple quest mobs spawning, quest NPCs being bugged due to someone failing, mine/herb nodes being invalid targets, mobs being stuck.

Last edited:
Can we have a server restart everday, in the low-peak hours of the server? And it can be in a random timer everyday(within a 2-3 hour interval) with 3-5 minute warning beforehand so it cannot be abused for farming black lotuses etc. (or you could potentially change the way black lotuses respawn so they dont pop up right away after a restart)

That kinda restart would solve majority of the issues we see in world chat everyday, such as multiple quest mobs spawning, quest NPCs being bugged due to someone failing, mine/herb nodes being invalid targets, mobs being stuck. They are all problems that fix themselves once server restarts. I know having a very long uptime with 500+ players in all times is great and all, shows the stability of the server but a simple restart at a Random time would solve all those problems. Yes, this sounds like a workaround rather than a fix but it would save so much drama and complaints from world chat as well as reduce the workload of GMs with those repetetive tickets.

I agrese with this. Everyday restart in the low-peak hours of the server might temporarily solve issues we see in the world everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

Soon(tm)

It annoys me as well :(
Please fix these issues. It would make Kronos even better server to play on ;)

Last edited:
Regarding to this post, server has some issues with quest NPC'S. I personaly haven't found any yet since i'm only lvl 11.
That kinda restart would solve majority of the issues we see in world chat everyday, such as multiple quest mobs spawning, quest NPCs being bugged due to someone failing, mine/herb nodes being invalid targets, mobs being stuck.

Number of buged quests you can count on fingers. What he meant is, that there are some NPCs, that you can spawn via Q item and they have long or no despawn time so if some player summons them and run away, they will remain here. Many of those were fixed, but I'm certain that there are still some with this problem. But, because it's based on the quest script, the only way to get this fixed is to not be lazy, go to bug tracker and report every single NPC and related quest.

Number of buged quests you can count on fingers. What he meant is, that there are some NPCs, that you can spawn via Q item and they have long or no despawn time so if some player summons them and run away, they will remain here. Many of those were fixed, but I'm certain that there are still some with this problem. But, because it's based on the quest script, the only way to get this fixed is to not be lazy, go to bug tracker and report every single NPC and related quest.
Agreed, through reporting these problems it's actually to get fixed and technically a bug like this I've seen dozens of times on nost (Stranglethorn fever anyone?) where quest mobs or NPCs are bust or in spawned in via quest, they don't despawn and pile till server restart. Outside Stranglethron Fever, the water testing quest out in Tanaris is bugged too on nost where the beetles never despawn and result in this massive pile up that causes people to outright avoid this quest line

Top Bottom