• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

BasicTranslator

tekai

Authorized
Hello there,

I had previously discussed being making an addon to help players (english and chinese, mostly) communicate together : BasicTranslator, making of

I have now made a first version public. In a nutshell this addon is a small menu with drop-down lists that contains common sentences or words that can be said in another language if clicked and guides or useful information for all players.

Pictures can be found here : http://imgur.com/a/rl7tz

basic translator5.jpg WoWScrnShot_042116_130002.jpg WoWScrnShot_042116_125949.jpg basic translator 2.jpg

[video=youtube;vewk7DyVzuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewk7DyVzuU[/video]

Updates will be here : BasicTranslator on Google Drive
For players from 中国 : Ask me for the QQ group

A note for all players using it : Currently you must keep pressing the CTRL and SHIFT keys to display some drop-down menus (changing the channel and the language).

Enjoy!

this is so cool, thank you !
Thank you for the kind words and support :)

At this time there should be around 100+ asian/chinese users, according to the QQ group and total downloads on a chinese website. Hopefully those that downloaded it are on Kronos.

Anyone who dont speak english to begin with shouldnt be playing on kronos in the first place. I remember the times when i was able to see the text my comrades were typing in battlegrounds. Now a days its just blank lines and obviously they're off somewhere having no clue whats going on in the bg.

Dont you realize that the chinese shadow-community will N-E-V-E-R integrate with the rest of the server, and yet our game masters will be flooded with google-translated tickets that waste their time again due to language barriers.
Game masters (who are already being flooded with 1 ticket per 30 seconds in some hours as theyve said before) have to spend their private time trying to assist someone who cant speak proper english, and here you are saying that's great lets make them feel welcome guys!

Quality over Quantity used to be Kronos motto. Why do you go out of your way to bring/keep more chinese players on the server, when it is directly harming Kronos in multiple ways to have them here.

It involves such a level of restraint you wont believe it to keep this post somewhat civil, so atleast give me credit for that. Your work is poison to the server.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm getting the intent correctly, is the end result supposed to work kinda like communication works in Hearthstone or League of Legends? You pick a phrase in your language from a list and the guy you're talking to sees the phrase in his/her language?

If so, that is really cool.

I would help with adding Russian language too. PM me with anything you need to translate.

Not sure if I'm getting the intent correctly, is the end result supposed to work kinda like communication works in Hearthstone or League of Legends? You pick a phrase in your language from a list and the guy you're talking to sees the phrase in his/her language?

I unfortunately don't play LoL, so I can't tell about that, but yes you pick a sentence in a language you understand (english) and it sends it in another language (chinese) that the other player can understand.

There are also a couple more things which you can't click, like the Kronos rules, how to say the cities/classes/professions/dungeons and guides on how to make a LFM message or a WTS message.

I would love adding russian to the list with your help but first I will have a couple edits to make to the core :D . I will keep your name somewhere, feel free to hit me up if I don't contact you.

I know the issue of non-English speakers seems to be a sensitive topic these days, but I think having the option to communicate is always preferable to not having the option. Who knows, the GMs might even be able to make use of this when they need to deal with talking to Chinese players. Maybe even a special version of the addon containing sentences the GMs frequently make use of, like common warnings or explanations about rules that GMs might wish to say to Chinese players. Also, using this as a base and including other languages as well, I think gives this potential to really help GMs and players alike communicate with people who have difficulty understanding English.

Looking at it from another angle, giving GMs an easier ability to communicate in every language would actually make their job easier, when they need to warn or help players from all around the world. It may potentially help them save time.

Is there also one sentence with a tinyurl or similar easy url so the other person has an easy time to download it?

Seems pretty useful. I haven't met any Chinese players yet (that I know of) but I see how that could come in handy. What languages are you planning to support? I could translate the sentences into German for you (but I doubt there are many non-English speaking Germans on Kronos).

Is there also one sentence with a tinyurl or similar easy url so the other person has an easy time to download it?

I am not sure what you mean by that... Oh, okay, I think I get it, a link so that the player can download the addon. Well, there is a sentence that basically says "I am using the addon [BasicTranslator] to communicate with you" (in english/chinese). Assuming they search for Basictranslator + 魔兽世界 (WoW) on Baidu (chinese Google) then the very first link is my addon.

I prefer that they have to go look on Baidu than to give them a direct link, reasons are a) a single link can be used to mislead people into malware or such, b) the link might fail at some point, c) if they find the chinese addon page they also find a guide on how to use it. Also, many websites cannot be accessed straight away from China.

What languages are you planning to support? I could translate the sentences into German for you (but I doubt there are many non-English speaking Germans on Kronos).

I plan to support the languages that seem most needed. Currently I know that there are over 400+ asian players on the server and many have trouble with english, just like english players with chinese, this was a good start. Russian looks like an interesting addition due to its differences with english, but many of those players know english already. Assuming there is demand for other ones I would love to add those. I also recognize that there are other servers than Kronos and it can come handy when playing on those.

Thank you for thinking of the community and contributing such an interesting addon, Sir. I'm not chinese, but it seems like it would be useful :>

Top Bottom