• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

2-3 years ago when I played on the old Kronos i had the best time of my life what concerns gaming. The server population was pretty low but the community was the best one I ever met. And since good community equals fun for me, I hope many of the old players will come back. ^^

Last edited:
2-3 years ago when I played on the old Kronos i had the best time of my life what concerns gaming. The server population was pretty low but the community was the best one I ever met. And since good community equals fun for me, I hope many of the old players will come back. ^^

I really don't doubt that the community itself will be good.
I just hope that the population will be a bit higher than Low. Preferably Medium or even High ofcourse.

We should really try to get a lot of people to come and play on Kronos.

Half-Life 3 confirmed?
They don't lose interest over time. Its just that players calm down after a while and won't post as actively on the forum anymore. Doesn't mean they are less interested.

I started in Vanilla when I was quite young, I was god awful cause the game was hard already and especially for a young fool like myself! But it reminds me of my childhood and i'd like to play it right this time. Besides nothing that's easy is fun to me, I love a challenge and experiences. Retail feels like the actual world where everyone just rushes by you and focuses on themselves (don't get me wrong there are diamonds in the rough!). But that's not why I played! I played to escape reality for a few hours not to live a different virtual form of it.

VanillaWoWFTW

Well, a few things. To give some context however, I've been playing non-stop since Beta, and I believe that with the evolution of the game not everything they (Blizzard) implemented is necessarily bad, it has good sides and down sides as anything does. It's been almost 10 years, enough to turn your life around, and just as my life evolved, the retail game had to evolve, and I can appreciate that because if it was still like Vanilla, I would have had to let go raiding a long time ago.

However! I do miss my vanilla...

Scale:

It was truly a WORLD! It was months before I had the entire map charted and covered, I recollect travelling what seemed kilometers to get to one place or another, everything; every distance, every area seemed massive. And I actually remember wishing it was even more expansive than it was.

You had to actually travel, you had to consider if that travel was worth it before doing it, you had to make choices of best routes, and you had to make sure you were prepared so you wouldn't waste double the time in case you forgot something back in the civilized world. You had to actually know the location of each dungeon and raid entrance, and to do that you might have also quested in that zone, giving you some context of why that dungeon is there and why you need to kill the creatures in it.

I can't leave this topic without approaching the flying mounts, although exciting, I could see it coming when it was announced; the end of true travel and an PvP engagement, no longer you had to know the roads, the nooks and crannies, the shortcuts, the geography, or fear for your life. The decision of "should I take the road and risk ganking, or the woods and possibly a slower trip due to mobs or obstacles?" was taken away from us, and I didn't like it.

In short, it gave us a sense of massiveness of a true world, one that today's portals-and-queue-buttons have stole from us.

Social Networking:

It's hard to put into a small description all the achievements the vanilla community created, the community was just different back then, gamers were a different concept of what they are today, and specifically MMO players were a different breed, more patient, more lenient, more helpful.
A person would either play alone or had to engage in social conversations in order to get a group together, the best part being that that social interaction was smooth, it didn't seemed forced. People were more open to conversations and just generally helping, as opposed of today which it's hard to find help and people are not open to conversation at all.

I've made real life friends in this game, people I have met in reality and that are really close, a true friendship. All of those were made pre-Wrath, because socializing and puzzle solving (dungeon crawling and tactics) just became unnecessary, no exchange of words is needed these days.

Dedication

From character building to actual raiding, to my perspective people seemed more interested and more engaged into their characters and raid kills.
I recall loving to bits my 3 60's, you had to dedicate a lot of time to them and it made you love them even more. I didn't have one of each class that I easily and effortlessly leveled to the cap, I didn't have 5 or 6 other classes that I forget how to play if I don't pick them up for over a month, I didn't have this much choice. Don't get me wrong, choice is good and I appreciate the chance I can play other classes at high level and have a feel of how they work, however I can never find myself dedicating true time to them or even relate myself to those characters like I am to my original 60's and 70's.

Classes / Tactics

Each class felt unique, they had their ups and downs, their traits and skills. There was no perfect balance, or even an attempt of perfect balance, and that - ironically - made it perfect.
Heal spells were different in each class, healing classes didn't have 3 heal types, the fast the mid and the large one, shamans held the only bloodlust, warriors had to 'stance dance', Warlocks had their odd soulstone, it was a blessing to have them in groups to rez the group after a wipe, or a shaman, or even a rogue with vanish+jumper cables was appreciated back then.

CC was used and abused, it was a lovely dance to see mages polymorphing, warlocks seducing/banishing, druids rooting/sleep, priests shackling, rogues sapping/blind and hunters freezing. When they all worked in sync and nothing was broken by the tank or a miss-fire, it was beautiful, like a well rehearsed concert.
Everyone wanted to bring something to the table, and it was appreciated by everyone else in the group. Doing 5 man dungeons successfully along with significant raid kills were the best moments in vanilla, for me personally.

Lore

There was no main antagonist in the world, it was a wild lush world, riddled with problems in certain parts of the world, but filled with beauty in others. Small towns had problems with local antagonists, hopping for a brave adventurer to come and help, but otherwise left to their own deviations in fighting the threat. Nobody was here to dramatically take over or destroy the world, the big threats were disguised and subtle (making it sound even deadlier).

There was the prime daughter and son of Deathwing (a name whom you only associated with mistery back then and had only encountered in WCII or books) with their devious schemes to take over Stormwind by infiltration (Onyxia) and by creating an apparent perfect dragonflight with chromatic dragons (Nefarian), but these were threats that took time, slowly building up, slowly conniving and plotting in some obscure part of the world, a lonely mountain, a murky swamp or right under your nose in Stormwind, they were intelligent evil doers instead of blatantly and cheesily yelling "I'M HERE TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD".

C'Thun was no different, slowly plotting to take over the minds and sanity from all sentient creatures, and it took true determination from the entire world to defeat, I believe that was the first true blatantly evil character, as the each server had to brace itself for a real struggle to keep the insect threat bellow the equator.

Naxxramas was a beautifully designed dungeon, and so very different from everything else so far, and it just stands to show the diversity of environments given to us back then. Giving us just a taste of the power of the Lich King, which we could only wonder about being in the cold north and from WCIII + TFT expansion nostalgia.

In conclusion, There was no "theme" to the vanilla threats, no Outlands, Lich King or (laughable for what used to be a highly regarded antagonist) Deathwing. The world itself was huge and filled with danger, you felt it in the dungeons, raids and on the road with lingering PvP. And that's what I want to come back to, I realize perfectly it won't be the same, it never will, but I still keep trying because it's that engaging. I love Azeroth.

Last edited:
@ unrealized

Thank you, that was beautiful.
And you know what? I think (and have good hope that) this server can actually very accurately 'copy' all those things and thus the feelings.

It may sound silly, but I really really miss those days. Reading your post made my memories even more vivid, and even if people wanna say: "You're looking at it through rose-tinted goggles, it wasn't that great" .. it actually was. We perhaps did not realize the extend to how awesome it actually was until it was gone and gradually went to shit.

So once more, thank you for reminding me how glorious it was, and like I said; I have very good hopes for Kronos.
I love Azeroth too.

:angel2:
Edit: Can someone tell me how to +1 a post? I can't find it haha

I ususally avoid wall of texts like the plague, but you put alot effort into it and it was worth the read.
9/10 man. Really good points that I never thought about.

Yap. And you can't authorized before the server isn't released.

Its our prerogative as previous players that we can facepalm :wub::tongue:

... at least for now it is.

Yap. And you can't authorized before the server isn't released.

Well, you can always level up on any of the other three available patches in the meantime and authorize your account that way. You can play any expansion with your one game account here. Or just buy a character:D If facepalming is that important to you.

Last edited:
Well, you can always level up on any of the other three available patches in the meantime and authorize your account that way. You can play any expansion with your one game account here. Or just buy a character:D If facepalming is that important to you.

I'll wait ;)

I joined late in vanilla and only barely got to experience stuff at lv60 before TBC came along. TBC was great, mind you, but a lot of stuff was rendered obsolete and I never got to experience them as they were originally designed to be; I often ran around soloing everything during later expansions and while enjoyable, it's not the same.

I want to experience that time again, even if only once.

The fact that it takes a few months to get to max level, therefor only those hardcore enough to level up are the only ones raiding, it was a flawless system that made noobs RQ and pros dedicate their lives, I relaly hope with kronos you will keep the Vanilla grind apparent and avoid doing what other servers do beign you kill something and go up 15 levels, this will make or break my opinion on kronos and it's basically all i'm waiting for upon release. As what's the point of playing some shitty server that you can just boost straight to max, seems pretty gay.

The fact that it takes a few months to get to max level, therefor only those hardcore enough to level up are the only ones raiding

I think you and I played different vanillas...

The sentence above contradicts itself to begin with, I wouldn't say it takes months to cap to 60, the 'hardcore' least of all. And most definitely "only those hardcore to level up are the only ones raiding" is completely inaccurate, quite the opposite, of the grand majority that did get to 60, only small percentages ever did see raids in front of them, decreasing that percentage each tier. Naxxramas for example was completed at 60 by 1 (one!) US horde guild.

In the US alone for example there were approximately 895,000 level 60 characters strewn across blizzard’s 179 servers. Of the over 900 guilds that had killed at least 1 boss in Naxxramas only 23 guilds killed Kel’Thuzzad, This means roughly 1035 players out of 895,000 level 60 players have completed Naxxramas. That is 0.1% of all level 60’s.

That was exactly the issue back then, most 60's - read paying subscribers - were hardly 'hardcore' and never made it very far in the raiding scene, hence why the attunements were milder in TBC and non existent beyond that, the game would have never peaked 12.000.000 active subscriptions if it kept the vanilla raid limitations.

Last edited:
Actually it took almost everyone who started playing the game months to reach 60.
Main reason was that they didn't know what to expect from the game. It was more exploring then leveling.
Now that players know what they want from the game and how to get it they will rush to the end as fast as they can.

Actually it took almost everyone who started playing the game months to reach 60.
Main reason was that they didn't know what to expect from the game. It was more exploring then leveling.
Now that players know what they want from the game and how to get it they will rush to the end as fast as they can.

And I absolutely agree with what you just said, but what I did say was it wouldn't take months to level up as a hardcore, which is what he seemed to imply in the original sentence. Even if those truly dedicated players didn't participate in the pre-release betas, they didn't take months to get to 60, I remember, I was there and I was one of the slow-pokes. I was baffled at how fast some guys leveled something they never picked up before.

- - - Updated - - -

Only one guild cleared naxx and then 23 guilds killed Kel'Thuzzad ?

Read it again ;) Those are US only numbers by the way (I couldn't dig out EU numbers with just a quick search), and only one HORDE guild cleared it, the remaining 22 were Alliance.

Last edited:
@unrealized,

While I have absolutely no knowledge of any numbers or percentages, I will just go off of what I recall expierencing when I played vanilla on EU realms.
With that said, I have to agree with mvp to some degree; not meaning I disagree with what you said.

But is it not true nowadays leveling is a lot easier? Thus giving everyone - noobs included - a higher chance of participating in end-game.
I think it indeed was a near flawless system back then, like mvp said: "only those hardcore enough to level up are the only ones raiding, it was a flawless system that made noobs RQ and pros dedicate their lives"
He seems to imply that the absolute noobs; meaning those completely lacking knowledge of class mechanics, tactics, and general discipline that was needed to be a good player, were just very few in number when it came to high end raiding and also hardcore pvp situations like premades.
Ofcourse you always have those people who don't speak English (in EU realms anyway) or those who are seemingly braindead. But a big chunk of the player base @ lvl60 was of a way different caliber than nowadays.

I know this from expierence not only by playing retail a lot, but also seeing friends' little brothers and nieces play having full timeless epic gear, and being in Deathwing Heroic raids, while they literally just smash their keyboards not knowing that they are actually doing.

Thats it I dont want a wall of text which it already kind of is.
My point being is that it is no more than logical that with harder content to go through to get to max level, and more effort needed to compete in max level, that the noobs stay behind more often than nowadays in retail.

:wheelchair:

I love how everyone is going on about how hardcore vanilla was, while back invthe day the biggest reason wow became so popular was it being the first mmo accessable to casuals as opposed to everquest ultima online etc.

Top Bottom