• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

What makes you want to play Vanilla World of Warcraft again?

Community and the journey. I found that I had the best social leveling/endgame experience in any MMO in vanilla and made some friends that lasted me throughout the years.

Hahah this is so true.

WoW + Weed = Perfect.

I highly recommend everyone to try it!
It even made MoP playable for me for a while.

I think you need a lot more then weed to make mop playable xD

No Cross Realm!
My gosh, I played WOW from the beginning (beta even)
Loved PvP, especially the community but was destroyed once I have to fight some unknown person from another server. We would post on forums about fights or contact each other in game to either curse or compliment ^^

WoW + Weed = Perfect.

I highly recommend everyone to try it!
It even made MoP playable for me for a while.

Smoking weed while playing WoW makes me too antisocial, which is counterproductive in vanilla WoW. But man it was perfect for MoP, which was one of the most antisocial expansions anyway.

Hey all- just found out about Kronos a few days ago and am amped to play this again. Just read through all fourteen pages and I'm loving it. I was in the original open beta and stress test, and got the game when it came out. I played it for a few years and lost interest, so I haven't played any of the expansions. Still, the WoW experience was some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

A few points of nostalgia in no particular order, and why I'm psyched to try this out again (apologize for the wall of text in advance):

1. The epic (and perilous) journey from Menethil to Stormwind as a level 10 Night Elf really made the game seem huge, alive, and deadly. Dodging crocs in the marsh and orcs in the passes was all worth it when you stepped into the safety of Ironforge for the first time.

2. The epic battles of Hillsbrad and Southshore turned that entire region into a bloodbath. In the days before battlegrounds, it really made it seem like pitched battles could just crop up anywhere.

3. As alliance, the desperate march to Scarlet Monastery. Swimming past the Undercity and trying to run past all the horde waiting outside the instance made the mad dash to get inside so so worth it.

4. The late-night /who "druid" "35-40" bid to find any healer who will be willing to go to Uldaman. The joy of finding one who is up for it, and the sorrow of realizing he is in Tanaris and has no idea where the instance is.

5. Linked to the previous one, the joy of having a warlock and being able to tell prospective party members "CAN SUMMON!!"

6. The sheer epic scale of the instances. I've been playing Rift recently and am absolutely missing the length and difficulty of the early 5-man dungeons. Nothing like finally finishing the Deadmines after running onto Van Cleef's boat for the 9th time that night.

7. The need to fill specific niches - I remember how rare it was to do Scholomance back in the day because no one had the key to it, and you'd need to find a 290 lockpicking rogue to get in. Even gathering all the necessary components and meeting up with everyone to go into the instance was rewarding. It really made it seem like "this is my group, these guys all look strong, we are gonna kick some ass."

8. The bloodbath of Stranglethorn Vale and PVP dynamics. I remember just being absolutely massacred in that zone and hating it with every inch of my being. I'd be one kill away from completing a quest before I get destroyed by a rogue and a warrior, who take the last kill and /dance on my corpse before running away.

9. Similarly, finding a friendly enemy and doing quests along-side them, communicating through "keks" and /waves. And finally, the eventual betrayal when another of his allies appear and he turns on you without remorse.

I'm not sure what of this stuff still survives in the expansions, but it this is the type of stuff that I miss.

7. The need to fill specific niches - I remember how rare it was to do Scholomance back in the day because no one had the key to it, and you'd need to find a 290 lockpicking rogue to get in. Even gathering all the necessary components and meeting up with everyone to go into the instance was rewarding. It really made it seem like "this is my group, these guys all look strong, we are gonna kick some ass."

8. The bloodbath of Stranglethorn Vale and PVP dynamics. I remember just being absolutely massacred in that zone and hating it with every inch of my being. I'd be one kill away from completing a quest before I get destroyed by a rogue and a warrior, who take the last kill and /dance on my corpse before running away.

9. Similarly, finding a friendly enemy and doing quests along-side them, communicating through "keks" and /waves. And finally, the eventual betrayal when another of his allies appear and he turns on you without remorse.

I'm not sure what of this stuff still survives in the expansions, but it this is the type of stuff that I miss.

Without taking anything away from your previous points; these really hit the nail on the head, and were also quite funny! They're all so relatable.

For me the reason is really simple. I fancied playing WoW again, but when I tried retail everything dropped dead in one or two hits and I couldn't die. Zero challenge. No consequence of any choices. Retail WoW is no longer a game, it's a casual reward dispenser.

For me the reason is really simple. I fancied playing WoW again, but when I tried retail everything dropped dead in one or two hits and I couldn't die. Zero challenge. No consequence of any choices. Retail WoW is no longer a game, it's a casual reward dispenser.

Hahah I actually remember walking around as a Warrior in full heirloom gear.
I went AFK for a while in the Barrens, just somewhere off the road, and when I got back like 5 or 10 minutes later I was being attacked by 3 or 4 mobs of the same level and my health was steadily hovering at around 60%.

That really sucks, there's almost NO danger at all and no challenge.
Thats what made it so much fun in the first place. A big and dangerous world and you had to fight (sit behind your computer) for months and years to conquer it.

100% agree with you guys, last time I played retail was on wotlk and even then all I was doing was dungeon finder everyday + open reward chest from lvl15 to 80...

More like challenge (which undoubtely, leveling is even easier than it was at vanilla retail), it's how dead the worlds are due to the "insert common activity" finder, which makes everything else in the game just a glorified chat lobby where to chat while you wait for your queue to pop.

I've never played vanilla, so I am going to give a shot - Kronos looks like a very capable server.

Yesterday, I made a toon - a Night Elf warrior. Leveling her through Teldrassil is quite... interesting. Two or more mobs = death, no way in hell I am going to AoE stuff down like nothing (á la my heirloom-clad prot warrior back in Wrath; TC, brutally beefed up Revenge, Cleave and I was able to literally derezz whole groups of mobs. Not here). I was dying to one and the same stupid furlborg three times in Starbreeze Village until I got it right. However, the RNG bullcrap of misses/dodges/parries plays a huge role here and I don't like that :no: Well, I was at 10 hp (no healing pots in my pockets) and could kill the mob in a single blow. But the game said nope.avi, my charater missed and died right after that miss. Simple RNG bullcrap. It is not so prevalent in the expansions (mosty beginning with Wrath) as mobs are easier to kill and your toon can withstand significantly more punishment.

And those chainpulls... deadly as hell. I can kill one mob, but the other kills me (with luck I could kill both, but having to get some food in as my HP were dangerously low). Warriors are stupidly gear-dependent it's not really funny. But I like warriors, so I will probably level one up after Kronos goes live (was also thinking about a mage or a rogue).

About leveling, I kinda like leveling experience in Cata as you don't have to lose too much time with travelling - you can easily go 1-60 on a single continent. In Vanilla this is even more of an issue as the first mount is at level 40 and costs some 100g. So travelling on foot for most of the leveling progress and constantly changing continents/zones? Lots of boring time waste; I'd rather spend the time killing mobs and questing rather than traversing large expanses of land without any action happening. I know travelling is a big part of adventure. But some zones literally alienate on that - going on foot through the whole massive expanse of Barrens *cough*. However, the mobs really should be more challenging and more dangerous in expansions. It's far too easy and without any sense of adventure.

However... I don't personally like the idea of rolling a human on Kronos as I would end up switching to Dun Morogh after hitting level 5 :biggrin: Nope.avi, those stupid murlocs in eastern Elwynn are DEADLY. They multiply like rabid dogs, heal themselves, ALWAYS chain-pull in twos, threes or even fours (yeah, they also LOVE to run away and chainpull the whole damn village on you!) and you have to go right in the MIDDLE of their village to examine some remains of a fallen soldier?! Good riddance, Blizzard. That's some REALLY BAD design... /facepalm. Challenge, yes. I like leveling in WoW being a bit of challenge, having to think about pulling and using abilities/CDs for efficient and quick kills (so mobs don't dwindle my HP dangerously low). But that muloc-related quest for humans (and it's just one example of many) is simply ridiculous. Good if you find a kind soul who does the quest too - grouped with other players, the murlocks fall much quicker. But soloing that stuff? Nu-uh, nada, zilch, zero, schluss. Maybe if some players cleared the village beforehand... And kobolds are also a pretty dang dangerous bunch.

We'll see. First impressions are good, leveling is much more adventurous than in expansions (TBC still was bit of an adventure, but Wrath - and mainly Cata - begun to throw the adventure down the drain). So far so interesting and quite fun (aside from dying to RNG bullshyte).

However... I don't personally like the idea of rolling a human on Kronos as I would end up switching to Dun Morogh after hitting level 5 :biggrin: Nope.avi, those stupid murlocs in eastern Elwynn are DEADLY. They multiply like rabid dogs, heal themselves, ALWAYS chain-pull in twos, threes or even fours (yeah, they also LOVE to run away and chainpull the whole damn village on you!) and you have to go right in the MIDDLE of their village to examine some remains of a fallen soldier?! Good riddance, Blizzard. That's some REALLY BAD design... /facepalm. Challenge, yes. I like leveling in WoW being a bit of challenge, having to think about pulling and using abilities/CDs for efficient and quick kills (so mobs don't dwindle my HP dangerously low). But that muloc-related quest for humans (and it's just one example of many) is simply ridiculous. Good if you find a kind soul who does the quest too - grouped with other players, the murlocks fall much quicker. But soloing that stuff? Nu-uh, nada, zilch, zero, schluss. Maybe if some players cleared the village beforehand... And kobolds are also a pretty dang dangerous bunch.

That's because vanilla is made so you HAVE to group up with other people; it's not a solo game. Personally, I like it is that way, it feels much more realistic and like a real adventure, because to overcome danger most of the time you have to do it with friends.

We'll see. First impressions are good, leveling is much more adventurous than in expansions (TBC still was bit of an adventure, but Wrath - and mainly Cata - begun to throw the adventure down the drain). So far so interesting and quite fun (aside from dying to RNG bullshyte).

Good you liked it, just get used to the difficulty of leveling :)

tristan: I pretty much agree on the grouping matter. However, I feel being a bit limited in cases that I can't get any group mates for whatever reason. Also it feels a bit unnatural and inconsistent when I can do most quests single-handedly and boom - suddenly I need a group to get rid of some stupid murlocs. It's not flagged as a group quest, per-say. Nor it is an elite or dungeon quest (where groups are natural and sensible solution). It seems to be a typical solo quest - the sort of quests which you do hundreds of when leveling. But it really needs a group.

tristan: I pretty much agree on the grouping matter. However, I feel being a bit limited in cases that I can't get any group mates for whatever reason. Also it feels a bit unnatural and inconsistent when I can do most quests single-handedly and boom - suddenly I need a group to get rid of some stupid murlocs. It's not flagged as a group quest, per-say. Nor it is an elite or dungeon quest (where groups are natural and sensible solution). It seems to be a typical solo quest - the sort of quests which you do hundreds of when leveling. But it really needs a group.

Actually, the quests that are flagged as group or elite, it's nearly impossible to do them alone if you are on the quest level range. On the other hand, this murloc quest given as example, i've done it myself many times alone. The only problem is that it is very hard, but it can be done. Same goes for other quests such as the ones you have to kill X guy inside a cave full of monsters. You CAN do it alone, but it's very hard and time consuming. That's the difference with non elite/group.

Totally agree the OP posted video and reasons.

Above all I am looking once again to see some of that in realm community to grow up and shine like it used to.. it is totally gone nowadays @Live .. I think ever since end of WotLK.

Never got to experience vanilla, since I started playing 3 months after TBC launched (took me ages to level to 70 since I just sorta goofed off and liked to explore the zones instead of questing a lot :p). Everything everybody has mentioned so far seems really great. I'm so used to grinding in MMOs it doesn't even feel like a chore anymore, instead more like, as others mentioned, a trance of sorts (ever try to grind 900 million exp without quests in an MMO? Madness! But doable =p)

I'm not really sure what to expect, but I think it'll be neat to see how everything played out back then, and having to actually group together with other people instead of becoming a one-person army of death and destruction ;p

Look forward to the live launch at the end of March = )

I never played Classic WoW or TBC for that matter as I joined late Wrath and I heard so much from my older brothers just how amazing Classic was. The community, the levelling, the sudden cry of other players as Stitches spawned and attacked Darkshire! And overall the atmosphere. Classic WoW seems so appealing and I see why people played it back in 2004 and I just really want to experience it like my brothers did.

I just really hope I can experience this with someone with the same interests. :)

What I find really enticing about Kronos in particular, is that the community does not remind me of #swag #yolo kids, spamming out memes, rape and ebola jokes around. Bullying, trolling, childish behaviour. That's what I haven't found here. Yet. And that's what ruined my experience with recently-opened-popular-vanilla-server.

Also, we can see that people are eager to help with bugs and development team seems to care at least a little bit. Mechanics are one thing, but let's see how the human factor will work on Kronos.

I wish you all - and also myself - a good, healthy and fun social experience in here.

Top Bottom