• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Improved global/world chat

Cr0wL0ck

I would like to suggest improving the global/world chat filter to include more words.

i am working on "http://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/85571-help-with-making-an-addon" already as an idea to do this but if the server instead filtered those words then there would be no need for an addon that does that :smile:

simply increase the filter to include what the current wow censors like it does to words like "fuck" in vanilla, but vanilla had so many common troll words that first came to the filter later on such as "anal", "vagina", "lesbian", "gay", "asshole" and similar words that don't belong in the global/world chat of a game.

you could also improve what "ED" failed at, for example on "ED" writing: "Kronos-wow" or "twinstar" gets changed to another word but if people add " " around it then it wont detect. you could on the other hand improve it so whenever a direct link to "ED" or simply "Feenix" or "corecraft" is linked, it wont be posted at all but the player gets a red warning in his chat, the warning doesn't trigger anything but is just meant as a minor info that warns.

note: i know many aren't bothered by it, i am not bothered too much either but over time it gets bothersome that global/world chat is filled with spam such as perhaps the most common "Anal [random weapon name]", so improving the filter to include most of the words that the retail now has and maybe some more wouldn't harm but just improve the daily global chat as long as it is only offensive or vulgar words + ED/corecraft links that get filtered ☺

Last edited:
The problem with doing it server side is that people probably wouldn't be able to choose whether or not they want their chat to be censored. The retail filter might work to a greater extent than the vanilla client's does but, correct me if I'm wrong, it's still an opt-in/opt-out kind of deal with the profanity filter checkbox. You're walking a thin line between improving the overall chat quality and impeding people's ability to communicate freely here, I'd personally prefer an entirely unfiltered chat any day.

On the topic of getting rid of server names, I'm actually not sure if that's that great of an idea. Feenix removes server names because they have to fear competition. Their strong point is having a rather large population and keeping them unaware of other private server projects to keep them from leaving is in their best interest. Having played on scriptcraft back in 2012, I can tell you that when people play on what they believe to be the superior server, having other servers mentioned in world chat is only going to result in people trashtalking them. Let's face it, kronos is currently a private server so little known that it won't be most people's first vanilla server - when they make it here, they have probably already heard of or played on feenix so trying to remove any mentions of feenix/ED from chat channels isn't going to do much. On the other hand, when people join a server with people talking badly about what they previously assumed to be the top of the line server for vanilla, that could increase the odds of them staying.

well on retail i havent realy ever felt limited to what i want to say as long as i am not trying to be a troll.

and just filtering words that are filtered on retail already + advertisement from rival servers wouldnt limit anyone except those who are angry or those who like to post words like "anal Ashbringer" etc. in global chat.

i am not saying to filter the words Feenix or Emerald Dream but simply direct link's to their website or advertisement, so players can still talk about how horrendous Feenix/ED or Corecraft is but if they give a link to their website then its replaced with the same as when you say "fuck" or simply not posted or replaced with a slightly changed link so it looks normal but links to nowhere for example "forum.twinstar.cz/?langid=1" would be changed to "forum.twinstar.cz/zlangid=1", those who try to copy it will end up nowhere and think that it is unstable or was something wrong, you could do that with Feenix or Corecraft links, so there are many methods to counter advertisement but allow speaking of it ☺

if i had the choice between a filter that filters 10% too much or one that only filters 10% of what it needs to then i would prefer the one that goes a bit too much since you can always change a word slightly in order not to be censored but it would sound less like a serious insult.

If, for some reason(I fail to find any), the team decides to create such a filter, the most important thing about it is, that a player should be able to turn it off. Thanks
But, please don't search for a reason.. I don't see why, or how, would you want to turn the gaming world into a church.

Also, what the hell is offensive/vulgar about the word gay? or lesbian? or vagina?

not intending to turn it into a church but just filter out words that have no place in a global channel in a game :smile:

and the words are not all offensive but simply have no place in global/world chat.

why would you play wow you to chat about sex or link random nonsense that would only offend people or make them think of you as a spammer/troll. i know some consider it fun but in the end it ruins the purpose of global chat and turns into a chat you can find on any random webpage rather than a chat for those who play.

also it is not a matter of creating the filter since it already exists they would just need to add to it what came later as the online community evolved and included more "sex" related words that had no place in the game since they intended to appeal to all ages even kids.

note: are you saying retail has become a church ?

Last edited:
I think that there is no need for a global channel other than Trade and LFG. But if there is, and if the players need to chat about random stuff, censoring it would kind of defeat its purpose.

have you ever seen a server without global or world chat active ? XD

and do you think blizzard shot themselves in the foot when they added a filter in vanilla and improved it for each expansion to reduce spam/trolling ?

I think that a group of players with permissions to moderate global chat channel is much better and simpler solution than any chat filter.

But I don't think there would be something like this was needed.
As for me, I like living world, with living chat. :smile:

If you don't like what someone is saying ignore them. Simple as that. Cussing is part of normal life :yes:

have you ever seen a server without global or world chat active ? XD

and do you think blizzard shot themselves in the foot when they added a filter in vanilla and improved it for each expansion to reduce spam/trolling ?

no I haven't

I think blizzard made that filter in a way so that grown ups can turn it off. which is all I was asking

This. Remember censorship is usually bad. If you don't like the language please ignore it.
Yeah... this bring's upon another problem which would be that the "Ignore List" has a limit of 25, which was first increased to 50 in 3.3.0, which blizzard found out wasn't enough so they increased the filter yearly to include only the worst words to reduce the need to constantly use it on randoms.

you would then have to ignore simple global/random trolls as well as those who really deserve permanent ignore, some can add 25 within a day and others take a year or more, it depends on who but the longer you take the harder it is to remember who you don't want at all to get out of that list. you can then get an addon to write a note for each of them which leaves you with a ton of work and management...

why bother with all this if even blizzard solves it by simply increasing the "chat filter" which isn't really hard and can be done within a couple minutes. it does not have to include everything but just what retail has + eventual extras that the staff decide's.

I think that there is no need for a global channel other than Trade and LFG. But if there is, and if the players need to chat about random stuff, censoring it would kind of defeat its purpose.

I'm in total agreement with you. If the game supported a faction specific set of Trade and LFG global channels, I'd have no need to join a global channel past that. I'd also like to see those two channels have a simple rule of using each one for their intended purpose, and people tossing out racial / national / homophobic slurs or hateful sentiments either getting mutes, temp suspensions, or the like. If people want a general global channel where they can freely discuss whatever they want, goferit.

I'd just have no use for it, and abuse of a useful channel would get on my nerves.

i am working on 2 different approaches to filter out those words in case Kronos wont, so those who want can but it aint that easy considering i am still a bit new to .lua and i dont know everything so i wonder if i can :/

update: i took into account how much "goris" dislikes filters and want a clean trash-channel so i started on a 3rd approach... this filter now score's all word's, lets say word "A" gives 20 and word B give "70", the limit is 100 as an example, then the word wouldn't trigger anything but if above a tresh-hold it is added to a new chatbar which can be minimized, lets say a person goes over the tresh-hold. now he gets added to the filter into the seperate chatbar that can be minimized, if he repeatedly get's caught in this filter atm testing with 3 times then he is added to a "blacklist" in other words you wont see chat from him untill you whitelist him. atm i am working out the score and maximum so only the worst are caught automatically.

so much work just becourse some dont want filters :S

Last edited:
Top Bottom