• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Auction House

hammmy

I'm currently playing on Valkyrie, which has a relatively anemic 300-600 population. They used to have the Horde and Alliance auction houses linked and this seemed to please everyone. For some reason, they split the AHs without a correlating rise in population growth and now both sides of the AH are atrophied. For example, I started playing a couple of months after the split and from reading a thread about it, learned the Alliance AH had shrunken to roughly half of what it had been right after the split: 20 pages versus 45. Even after playing there a couple of months, with decent growth thanks to a Twitch streamer, the AH has stagnated again at 27 pages.

Unless the server launches with more than 1,000 players online, I think you should consider having the AHs linked.

---

A related issue is how auction deposits are calculated. On Valkyrie, for any given gear slot, for example Cloth Waist items, there might be 5-8 items at any one time, total. This seems to be related to the high cost of deposits for gear items. I myself chose to disenchant everything that wasn't a blue because I simply couldn't find a buyer at any price within the maximum 24 hours and ran an inordinate risk that I would lose the deposit. If the deposits scaled with the asking price instead of a fixed, seemingly arbitrary, cost, I feel that would encourage more use of the auction house.

When I log on valkyrie the population is nowhere near 300-600. When do you guys play or from what decade are your numbers?

That's total population, Horde and Alliance. I'm using the numbers posted on their website but it does correlate decently with /who. I play in GMT -7 (USA) and the population is usually at its lowest ebb (the Russians are asleep).

I think a linked AH would be a good idea in the beginning, then after analyzing population see if it would be wise to split them later on.

Adding a convenience feature like this later is always easier than having it removed at some point. Once you introduce something that gives players an advantage, it's almost impossible to take it away from them, even if it's not needed anymore. Let's see how things work without linked auction houses first.

If the deposits scaled with the asking price instead of a fixed, seemingly arbitrary, cost, I feel that would encourage more use of the auction house.
If I remember correctly, it is based on vendor sell price. Thus selling green weapons on the AH was just plain not worth it unless it was explicitly popular for some particular reason (say, model used).

Adding a convenience feature like this later is always easier than having it removed at some point. Once you introduce something that gives players an advantage, it's almost impossible to take it away from them, even if it's not needed anymore. Let's see how things work without linked auction houses first.
Agreed. Kronos should start out with segregated Auction Houses (with the neutral ones for cross-faction selling, of course) and if the number of listings suffer for an extended period, linking them should be considered to increase use of it.

Let's just wait and see. This server is most probably going to have a very sizeable population on release, there will be no need for such measures. No need to make things less blizzlike if you can avoid doing so, really.

If I remember correctly, it is based on vendor sell price. Thus selling green weapons on the AH was just plain not worth it unless it was explicitly popular for some particular reason (say, model used).

I played on a backwards vanilla retail server (Skywall) and even there you could find greens on the AH at any level, because there were enough players to justify the risk. The only greens you wouldn't consider selling were "of the Wolf/Boar/etc" while "of the Eagle/Bear/Monkey" were must-sell.

I don't disagree with you guys on "wait & see" but if it launches with a low playerbase, I've given anecdotal but verifiable evidence that the AH will be virtually nonexistent, which is not Blizzlike.

On K2, we had connected AHs (H/A) and reduced listing fee due to the low population so I'm sure that if AHs will be empty, then this solution will be applied again.

I played on a backwards vanilla retail server (Skywall) and even there you could find greens on the AH at any level, because there were enough players to justify the risk. The only greens you wouldn't consider selling were "of the Wolf/Boar/etc" while "of the Eagle/Bear/Monkey" were must-sell.
I was on a retail server too with a decent to large size iirc (Shadowmoon EU). However I didn't say anything about armor. Armor with appropriate random enchantments was well worth selling on the AH. It's just that the risk for weapons was generally not worth it because I often lost money more than I earned. It was less hassle to just vendor the damn things.

Now if only I realized back then that you could disenchant anything with a 1/300 Enchanter...

Hi there,

I played on excalibur tbc for a long time and they got connected AH's too. It was really a nice thing as the population is less than 1k. Even if you dont connect horde/alli, you may think about connecting sw,if and bbay.

This really helps to get a proper economy in the first times on the server.

On ED there are 40 items in the tanaris AH...

@phraze ah okay i may wrong then. I think it was tanaris and bbay that were not connected. They are 100% obsolete now on feenix for example. They are of no use. (with about 600cap players)

Horde AHs are connected, Ali AHs are connected and Tanaris/winterspring/BB AHs are connected in 1.12.1

Horde AHs are connected, Ali AHs are connected and Tanaris/winterspring/BB AHs are connected in 1.12.1

That sounds about right to me, wasn't a fan of the linked auctions and cross faction chat on the last server I played on, but if it's needed it's needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom