• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Priest DPS Pve priest

Spufy

Authorized
i still looking what to play....and see shadow priest....i TBC was good but dont know in vanilla.Bigest problem will be fast OOM in raid.Another + will be--->im mass healer on tank group+support warlock dmg...But leveling will be some pain.Some1 have exp with shadow pve in vanilla?

Most guilds will have a designated shadow priest with nearly 100% raid attendance as the shadow weaving buff is a very strong buff to warlock dps. To have more than that isn't really worth it from a minmax perspective due to the mana issues you mentioned.

In regards to boss fights you'll probably want to pot as much as possible and in longer fights not use your less damage-per-mana efficient spells, an addon like theory craft can help with that.
As most offspeccs it's more fun to play than classes like mage and warlock, so if you feel like it, go for it, additionally shadowpriest is one of the strongest, and until warlocks hit a lot of hp arguably the strongest, classes in 1v1 PvP and also a very strong PvP class in general.

My experience with it was a mix between good and bad.

You have to put a shitload of effort with consumable and min/maxing gear but you will do very fine.

This time i will roll warlock , raiding as spriest is too hardcore if you wanna compete on dmg.

Hm...thx for the answer's.....maybe will roll for hunt/lock/druid...have time to dicede :smile:

I'm interested in this thread :)

As I see it Priest is one of the better designed hybrids: strong pve healing and medium pve dps (at least they can get in some raids).

PvP looks good too but shadow looks very much like a one trick pony. I mean the entire rotation is SW:p, Mind Blast, Mind Flay and Mana burn/dispel when appropriate. Seems fun for a couple of days but I don't know if it's THAT engaging for months. Probably very strong in 1vs1 but I don't know about performance in organized pvp. I would guess speccing as Disc there brings more to the table. Maybe an experienced priest can comment.

For Disc PvP i'm a bit worried about escape mechanisms. Priests don't have much mobility and I guess would fold quite easily if/when focused.

shadow spec isnt viable in raids on vanilla. If you want to do your best for guild (or just raid setup) You have to go shadow tree until shadow weaving, and put rest to holy. You can hold that debuff on target easily (with simple r1 spells), while you heal the raid. Otherwise youre just simply tolerated like retri,enha and rest of the hybrids

Makes me consider rolling spriest after all. Just to proof you are wrong.

Shadow priests are actully useful in PvE due to the shadow weaving debuff, and they are the only hybrid I would put in my "ideal" raid setup. Not counting DPS warriors of course.

That said having 2 shadow priests is bad, therefore it's usually very hard to get a spot as a shadow priest, and you would need to use loads of consumables and mana potions to stay close to competetive.

You can be very good in PvE damage, but everything must be perfect. Just getting your hitcap (i think it was 4% with 5/5 skilled hit rate in shadow tree but i'm not sure at this) and than max shadowdamange + manareg/int (you need really NO krit rate!). So in the raid you are only doing SW:p and Mindflay, but first of them could get forbidden due to less debuff slots. So you are mainly just doing Mindfly all the time. If you are horde you will have a big manaproblem (ally has wisdom blessing + judgement) and should always take that rank of Mindflay wich allows you to cast the Mindflay without a break (use biggest manapots on cd) so that the debuff stays active. There is another problem of Shadowpriests in raid: The short range of Mindflay.

So all in all for PvE: With perfect gear (no krit!) you can (especially as ally due to not so big manaproblems/no manaproblems) catch up with mages/rouges/furys but your main use is still helping warlocks with your debuff and helping the healers with healing the 4 warlocks in your group wich drain their own life all the time. But during trash mobbs your are the most time just sitting there and drinking, not doing any damange.

Too much pointless minmaxing for a decade old game that doesnt need it. Just need a focused group of "tryhards" (not in the bad meaning) lets say 25 people and they will carry the rest. If that rest is somewhat usefull ofc, no matter what they play

Shadow priests are actully useful in PvE due to the shadow weaving debuff, and they are the only hybrid I would put in my "ideal" raid setup. Not counting DPS warriors of course.

That said having 2 shadow priests is bad, therefore it's usually very hard to get a spot as a shadow priest, and you would need to use loads of consumables and mana potions to stay close to competetive.

You missed the point here. YOu dont need to be full shadow speced for keeping Shadow weaving debuff on target. More usefull for raid is healer holy/shadow talents. something like this

You missed the point here. YOu dont need to be full shadow speced for keeping Shadow weaving debuff on target. More usefull for raid is healer holy/shadow talents. something like this

I know what you said, but since a good shadowpriest can do at least 80% of an equally good warlock/mage damage I dont see the point in gimping a healer so badly. I'd rather play with a proper shadowpriest and 1 less mage or warlock.

all important holy holy talents you got there, and there are other priests in raid for improved spirit and stamina buff, so you can fullfill your healing role with 100% .

@Figaro
You only raided with utterly bad shadow priests as it seems.

For me its the same as Hagson says. I'd rather take a reliable and good shadow with me then a mediocre specced holy.
The very good and important part about bringing another spriest into the raid, especially for horde, is that you have 1 more dps who is also able to disple. Horde only gets priests for defensive disples so taking another shadow instead of a lock or mage is totally fine.

may be possible. No sp on vanilla i saw was even close to 80% of warlock dmg (as he told). they was more like 50 % or so..

all important holy holy talents you got there, and there are other priests in raid for improved spirit and stamina buff, so you can fullfill your healing role with 100% .

Now that you say that, that is definately a viable option. I only skimmed through it last time, but you definately have a point.

No, you will be a mana starved healer instead of a mana starved dps. Id rather take the full shadow priest. Imp vamp is good for lock group, and Especially a specific fight in Naxx... :) But yes, more than 1 is a waste.

Btw i reccomend leveling with discipline for wand and then holy talents , best spec to level , no mana problems , at lvl 45 i was able to solo 3 mobs my own level with white/green gear in 12x xp rates :) also you will find groups easy as healer , actually its wanding + SW:p and use mana for heals

I agree with imp wands, shadow is really good for lvling. Should be second. Pulling with holy fire, SwP, mindfray till they are close. Fear, wand til fear wears off, mindflay.
Stack spirit gear instead of int and with each killing blow over half ur mana comes back. Mindblast waste a lot of mana. Use when you have a lot of mana or fighting two and need to burn down the first

I raided as shadow up through AQ40 and Naxx, and if your shadowpriests were only pulling 50% of Lock DPS, they were either
  • Itemized Terribly
  • Had their SW:p knocked off constantly
  • Specced PvP
  • Terrible
  • Didn't do their pre-raid prep with Pots/Demonic Runes/potions/flasks/etc.
or you had the best Warlocks in the World.

Forbidding a properly geared Shadowpriest from putting their SW:p on a target, especially with limited Debuffs is likewise fucking stupid, especially if you're allowing any other Dot to go up there.
  • Siphon Life
  • Curse of Agony
  • Serpent Sting
  • MOTHERFUCKING REND
  • et al.
All do less damage than SW:p at comparable gear levels, and in some case dramatically so, but I would still get my Pain knocked off by dipshit hunters/locks.

As others mentioned as well, Imp VE. was spectacular when you were grouped with Locks and/or tanks. I would be placed in either the Tank group or the Lock group and provided free healing for both groups, which in turn was free mana for the locks, or a sizeable amount of off-healing for the tank over the course of a fight.

- - - Updated - - -

You ever try healing a 10+ minute encounter without Meditation?

Last edited:
Forbidding a properly geared Shadowpriest from putting their SW:p on a target, especially with limited Debuffs is likewise fucking stupid, especially if you're allowing any other Dot to go up there.
  • Affliction
  • Curse of Agony
  • Serpent Sting
  • MOTHERFUCKING REND
  • et al.
All do less damage than SW:p at comparable gear levels, and in some case dramatically so, but I would still get my Pain knocked off by dipshit hunters/locks.

I think you mean corruption and not affliction.
Corruption proccs Nightfall (Shadow Trance) for Warlocks, which is a huge damage increase, since it's an instant Shadow Bolt (which also happens to procc 20% more shadow damage). And the corruption base damage is 822 (to 852 on SW:p), which is not that much lower and definitely makes it more valuable for the whole raid.

I think you mean corruption and not affliction.
Corruption proccs Nightfall (Shadow Trance) for Warlocks, which is a huge damage increase, since it's an instant Shadow Bolt (which also happens to procc 20% more shadow damage). And the corruption base damage is 822 (to 852 on SW:p), which is not that much lower and definitely makes it more valuable for the whole raid.

I mean't to type corruption, but I was thinking about Siphon life after looking at the lock talent builds again :crying:.

Top Bottom