• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other PvE classes/specs features

nimeralos

Authorized
I would like to ask about interesting tactical features of each class. Tanks are tanking, DPS are DPSing, healers are healing and... What's more? Please tell something about different things that classes have to do during dungeons/raids encounters.

(Crowd) control, short buffs (some unique, not usual HoTs), debuffs (not usual DoTs), dispells... Who's doing this usually, who's doing this during some interesting boss fights?

Priests can mind control humanoid adds, warlocks can banish elementals/demons, rogues sap humanoids, hunters fear beasts and sleep in survival spec, druids put beasts and dragonkins to sleep, mages poly etc.

Are you by any chance looking to play a utility/support class? If so I would probably look at the healing classes.

Hunters use tranquilize to stop enrage on some raid bosses and they setup pulls for the MT.

Priests can mind control humanoid adds, warlocks can banish elementals/demons, rogues sap humanoids, hunters fear beasts and sleep in survival spec, druids put beasts and dragonkins to sleep, mages poly etc.

Are you by any chance looking to play a utility/support class? If so I would probably look at the healing classes.
Yes, I do know about these abilities, the question is more about which of them are really used for control in PvE. Thanks for healing class advice, but I want to know which of them doing something instead of healing often... And I don't think I'm gonna heal here anyway :) Wanna look at bosses more, less at the health bars.

I'd say for interesting features a Druid is good.

Maybe some of the points I made in this post will help:

http://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/90057-A-good-small-group-PvP-support-class
Thanks, but that's mostly PvP features and variety. Only Innervate is interesting PvE-thing... But druid is most unlikely choice for me since I played druid on ED already.

Hunters use tranquilize to stop enrage on some raid bosses and they setup pulls for the MT.
Thank you, that's the kind of answer I'm looking for! Anything else? :) To be honest, I'm most interested in warlock. Do the variety of curses, demons etc come in handy? But feel free to talk about the other classes too.

Last edited:
In order to answer your question you'd need to do a hefty rundown on all the classes.

Since you asked about locks Ill try to answer.

"Do the variety of curses, demons etc come in handy?"

Curses, yes to some extent. Demons no.
You will either play with imp in invisibilty for the arua or a sacraficed succubus for the shadow damage.
90% of the time you will keep up Curse of Elements, Shadow och Recklessness. Very rarely tongues is needed. Other than that you're a shadowbolt machine. Keep an SS on a healer and distribute healthstones to those who ask. And cast shadowbolts. Lots of shadowbolts.

Thank you Hagson,
yep, I heard such a things... Not too bad after all, but...

And what are (in your opinion) the most interesting classes in Vanilla raids when it comes to "buttons" and features?

All classes are interesting in their own way.
From what I've heard rogues and warriors have a (more) interesting rotation (than casters). That said playing a caster isn't too bad, even if it might be a bit repetetive.
Healers get to vary their spells more since downranking and it's less constrained to a single rotation since you will always have to adapt to what's going on. Some don't like it and call it whack-a-mole with healthbars though.
Tanks I don't know to much about but I imagine it's, like healing, more based on reacting to what's going on than dpsing is.

Play the class you want to play, and try to find a way to enjoy it.
Unless you want to play boomkin, feral, retri or protpala in which case don't.

Don't forget warlocks are summon bots, they usually have to farm a bag full of soul shards before each raid.

All classes are interesting in their own way.
From what I've heard rogues and warriors have a (more) interesting rotation (than casters). That said playing a caster isn't too bad, even if it might be a bit repetetive.
Thanks for the info about melee. I thought about playing warrior... Maybe I'll think closer now.
Play the class you want to play, and try to find a way to enjoy it.
Sure :) I'll try to understand what I want.
Unless you want to play boomkin, feral, retri or protpala in which case don't.
Yep, I know :)
Don't forget warlocks are summon bots, they usually have to farm a bag full of soul shards before each raid.
Heard it... By the way, why "before each raid"? Is it too egoistic to farm shards during the raid? Or raid mobs don't drop them?

You will usually summon people to the raid and in preparation for the raid. And ideally you dont want to waste time and dps soul draining stuff during a raid.

nimeralos> i would say paladins, maybe? auras, blessings, seals, spells against UD (5man, Naxx) and that sweet sweet Cleanse :)

Nim,

To expand a bit on Hunters. They are probably the ones who can accomplish most special tasks.

1. Hunters do pulls. Sometimes, not merely because it's handy, but because they are the only ones able to safely split an NPC/group from the rest, due to range and FD. A clear example is the Kurinnaxx encounter (Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj).
2. Hunters taunt through Distracting Shot. Either to allow the tank some respite, or to control adds. Another clear example would be Hakkar's wind serpents.
3. Hunters are the only class in the game who can CC long-term 3 NPCs at the same time. 2 through Freezing Trap (by placing the 2nd Trap after the first is activated) and 1 through Wyvern Sting. Sadly, this was a lot more useful in early TBC Heroics than during Classic, which was a lot more forgiving.
4. Hunters kite. Lots of times. Lots of places. Sometimes, you would kite an add to the beginning of the instance to allow your raid to finish the rest. A good example would be the Anubisaths in Ahn'Qiraj. Ossirian too. Your first relevant kite will be in UBRS, where you kite Drakkisath until the party/raid finishes the adds.
5. Hunters dispell Enrage/Frenzy through Tranquilizing Shot. On Magmadar, Chromaggus, Kurinnaxx again, Gluth etc.
6. They also have a good range interrupt in Scatter Shot.
7. Finally, as a perk, Hunters are able to survive a wipe through FD, enabling them to then resurrect a healer with Jumper Cables. If you're deep in Ahn'Qiraj, you'll really appreciate this.

EDIT
8. Hunters are also employed to Viper Sting during certain encounters, such as Moam in the Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj.

Last edited:
Top Bottom