• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Rolling decision: Rogue vs Warlock

Calinthodd

Whats up everybody? I'm posting because like many, i'm torn on the decision of which class to play when Kronos launches; rogue or warlock. I'm curious to hear your opinions on the power balance of these two classes for both PvP and PvE. A big part of me is leaning towards playing an undead warlock simply because I have so much experience with that class as a hardcore raider and pvper in retail.

I think diminishing returns are implemented on Kronos, so that will have a huge impact on a lock's PvP defenses. Speaking on this topic, does anyone know if seduce and fear are going to occupy the same diminishing return?

Another big consideration is the way both classes scale. In vanilla casters in general are extremely reliant on gear to be viable in PvP, especially warlocks since they need high stamina to survive any fight. What are your thoughts on the PvE and PvP viability of both classes with blues, t1, and t2/t3 level gear?

I appreciate everyone's input. I only played vanilla for a little over a year before BC came out so some of the nuances of they way these two classes are balanced in this patch may be lost on me. I know many people are having similar struggles on which class to play so hopefully this discussion will spark even more class balance discussions. Cheers.

I had the most fun as rogue. Death ray + rank 9 eviscerate book, which is easy to get is a really early and huge power spike. You do 3k+ combos on everyone, except tanks. Even in blue gear.

Yeah blue gear warlocks on the other hand are easy targets

From a PvP perspective, Rogues are so damn good. Stunlock and burst, GG.

Though I really enjoy Warlocks as well. My pet peeve with them however is having my curses and DOTS easily dispelled. That frustrated the hell outta me when I played one in the past. Still, against certain classes they can be a nightmare.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either. Rogues will certainly be one of the most played classes, and Warlocks one of the least.

Hey OP,

I was in the exact same predicament as you. Rogue vs. Warlock.
I chose Warlock.
What made me finally make a decision were a few minor and a few major points:

1. I've played Rogue a lot in my WoW career and Warlocks I haven't.

2. Eventhough Stealth is AMAZINGLY fun, I feel asthough the stunlock gameplay is just
too much of a pussy approach, I really hate it. (Burst aside)

3. Eventhough I love Melee classes and Melee weapons, I feel in a lot of situations a Ranged class will have a slight advantage. Though Rogues arguably dont have that problem as much as Ret Pallies/Warr/Enh Shaman in PvP situations.

4. I just love what a Warlock stands for. They're fearless; just bad ass, can be very resilient, have SO MANY tools to help them win at PvP and PvE. Nukes, DoTs, Healthstones, Soulstones, Demons, Fear, Deathcoil, more Demons etc.

5. Warlocks aren't limited to their resources. What I mean is that, eventhough Rogues can be quite nifty and survive a near certain death and they do have a relatively quick Energy regen. I feel asthough with Warlock you can really play with your Health and Mana and your ranged CC/dmg abilities in such a way that is almost as fun as playing Rogue but its from a distance and you dont rely on invisibility like a coward so I feel its better; and I feel you have more Health/Healing management.

Last but not least:
6. One of my very best friends will play with me. And we have always debated ever since '05 on good class/race combinations when it comes to being a Duo (2) in PvP. After a while you realize a lot of combos can be very good, but we decided that Warlock + Shadow Priest is one of the better combo's.
If I had chosen Rogue, we would've done Double Rogue which is also insane but have different strengths and weaknesses. SO eventually because of some of the previously mentioned points, we went for this combination.
That made it final, I go Warlock.

:death2:

Last edited:
Do warlock's fear and howl of terror overlap with the diminishing returns on any of the Spriest's CC?

Unfortunately yes.

All our main CC abilities share DR's.
That kind of sucks, but we like the combo nonetheless.

There are quite a few combos that don't have this problem, but you will always have some kind of weakness or set back with any set-up I think.

What are the main abilities of interest for this combo? Curse of Shadows? What else makes it so attractive?

What are the main abilities of interest for this combo? Curse of Shadows? What else makes it so attractive?

Not even so much CoS. I'll give a brief overview of the things that we think are nice in this combo:

- We both have a few Health regeneration tools that can be benificial for both like:
Renew, Power Word: Shield, Vampiric Embrace, "out of Shadow Form heals"
Healthstones for both, Drain Life, Soulstone, Siphon Life, Life Tap (in comb. with a renew/heal is almost unlimited mana)

- We have relatively OK CC, like:
Fear (Warlock), Howl of Terror, Seduce, (optional Curse of Exhaustion + Amplify Curse), (occasional Summon Infernal stun)
Psychic Scream, Mind Flay, (occasional Blackout proc = stun from Priest)
Atleast one, if not both of us, will go Engineering for Grenades.
- If you want to count Silence effects as CC:
Silence (Priest talent), Spell Lock (Felhunter) and Curse of Tongues for prolonged Spell casting durations.

- We have a few Buffs, like:
Stamina (Priest), optional Fel Intelligence (increased Int + Spi by Felhunter), Shadow Resistance (Priest), Armor buff (Priest), Demonic Armor (Lock), optional Paranoia (stealth detection by Felhunter), Unending Breath (Undead passive and Lock spell), Ressurection by Priest.

- We have a few Nukes, like:
Mind Blast, Shadow Bolt, Searing Pain, Shadowburn, Immolate to a lesser extent.

- We have quite a few DoTs, like:
Shadow Word: Pain, Mind Flay, Devouring Plague (UD Priest Racial)
Corruption, Curse of Agony (opt. + Amplify Curse), Immolate, Siphon Life, Drain Life.
Pure debuffs: Vampiric Embrace, Shadow Weaving, Improved Shadow Bolt debuff talents.

- We have a couple of Dispells, like:
Felhunter Devour Magic (usable on friend and foe), Warlock Spellstones (Absorb Magic and remove Dots)
Priest Dispel Magic & Disease

I probably forgot something but this is it.
The one thing we need to pay attention to is not to overlap too many CC's that share DR's,
and things like Pally Bubble, Mage Iceblock, Warlock Spellstones etc. because we do rely on DoTs.
Surely it does have its pro's and con's; this set-up, but we feel it to be quite effective if played right.

I'm planning a warlock/hunter setup with my brother.

Viper sting as we all know is OP as shit, in conjunction with fear/mana drain, definitely an anti caster / melee kite setup with strong anti rogue fun.

Being able to kite mobs while leveling = full hp =less likely to get ganked.

Plus two pets bashing on enemies while they try to cast, I could go on.

Also with pvp in mind, awesome defensive setup, seemingly solo warlocks make the bzt bait ^^

All this reading of duos is making me sad D: Looks like I need to make some friends lol.

Anyone want someone split between a Prot warrior or a Priest? Haha :D

you can troll low lv players from the opposite faction as a warlock by summoning an infernal or a doomguard where they're picking up low lv quests lol

We need to cripple them while they're weak, FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Lock is easier to level imo, and they're ofc both fantastic in end game pve and pvp. My first character and main since was a Lock and I adored it so much. The demon quests are great too. Downside to lock is Soulshard farming, upside is not being forced into Herbalism to have reagents to cast spells (blind, vanish). As mentioned, leveling with an spriest is just awesome, esp once said priest gets vamp embrace and shadow weaving.

you can troll low lv players from the opposite faction as a warlock by summoning an infernal or a doomguard where they're picking up low lv quests lol

We need to cripple them while they're weak, FOR THE HORDE!!!!!!!!!!!

cast inferno on lakeshire, meni stronk.

Top Bottom