• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Hunter Faster pet attack speed always better?

I keep hearing everyone say a faster attack speed is better because of interrupting casts in PvP (and possible in PvE on caster mobs?). Is there any benefit to slower attack speed at all? Or is faster attack always better?

Also, is this list http://web.archive.org/web/20061112230516/http://tkasomething.com/attackspeeds.php accurate for this server?

Thanks for your answers!

Hello!

Yes, the list is accurate. When it comes to the pet speed, this is largely connected to what you want to achieve. Do you want a primarily damage focused pet, or a tanking one? Personally I lean towards tanking, so I use Kresh as a pet. For me, the attack speed is not important - what I'm after is a really resilient pet that can take a lot of damage. However, if your primary concern is to blast through the grinding, you might want to look into a pet with faster attack speed. The BM talent tree increases both flat damage and also crit chance of your pet, so speccing BM with a fast pet can put out some insane damage. However, it might die when pulling several mobs or when trying to solo elites - so this is just a decision you will have to make on your own. You could try out a couple different pets and see what you like :smile:

I think that npc's spellcasts can't be interrupted with autoattacks. But player's can. :smile:

Hello!

Yes, the list is accurate. When it comes to the pet speed, this is largely connected to what you want to achieve. Do you want a primarily damage focused pet, or a tanking one? Personally I lean towards tanking, so I use Kresh as a pet. For me, the attack speed is not important - what I'm after is a really resilient pet that can take a lot of damage. However, if your primary concern is to blast through the grinding, you might want to look into a pet with faster attack speed. The BM talent tree increases both flat damage and also crit chance of your pet, so speccing BM with a fast pet can put out some insane damage. However, it might die when pulling several mobs or when trying to solo elites - so this is just a decision you will have to make on your own. You could try out a couple different pets and see what you like :smile:

Very helpful reply! Nice!

What I want is something in between a tank and a DPS pet, but leaning more towards a tank. I've found Tallstriders to work really well for this (plus I find them really appealing visually): They have increased health, which is good for tanking, and still get reasonable DPS stats + the Dash ability for mobility.

If you ctrl+F for "strider" on that list, you'll notice that all but one tallstriders have a 2 second attack speed, while the Onery Plainstrider has 1.3 second. Since both Onery Plainstriders and other Tallstriders will have the same total DPS and Health stats, the only difference is the attack speed, which is lower for the Onery Plainstrider. Is it worth to get the Onery Plainstrider if I want to have the "best" Tallstrider available?

I played hunter about 2 months ago.I Had raptor with 1.52 or 1,54 aspd. Pets Atspd was bugged(all raptors must be 2.00)

Very helpful reply! Nice!

What I want is something in between a tank and a DPS pet, but leaning more towards a tank. I've found Tallstriders to work really well for this (plus I find them really appealing visually): They have increased health, which is good for tanking, and still get reasonable DPS stats + the Dash ability for mobility.

If you ctrl+F for "strider" on that list, you'll notice that all but one tallstriders have a 2 second attack speed, while the Onery Plainstrider has 1.3 second. Since both Onery Plainstriders and other Tallstriders will have the same total DPS and Health stats, the only difference is the attack speed, which is lower for the Onery Plainstrider. Is it worth to get the Onery Plainstrider if I want to have the "best" Tallstrider available?

Tallstriders only have 5% extra health as a modifier, this isn't really the best for tanking - once that 5% extra health is gone from the fight, it's worthless. Sure, it might save your pet and make him survive with a teeny tiny bit of HP when he otherwise would have died - but I do think getting a pet with armor bonus will be better.

Armor bonus makes every single strike against the pet hit for lower damage. My turtle with 13% extra armor can tank elites like nobody's business. I also killed Frostmaw (level 37 quest yeti) at level 29 with a 29 turtle, both me and the turtle survived the fight and that's kind of crazy if you ask me. The thing that makes turtles superior tanks IMO is the shell shield, which makes the turtle take 50% less damage for 12 seconds. He very very rarely dies, mostly it's because he is stuck in combat and not regaining his HP and I don't notice. Normally he is almost always above 50% hp.

If you really want a nice combination between tank and DPS, I think you will enjoy having a scorpion. Scorpions have +10% armor and -6% damage. However, scorpions also have poisons which will count for a lot of damage in the long run! Crabs have -5% damage and 13% extra armor making it another viable option. In the end this is down to personal preference - it's not worth it to have a little extra tanking ability if you hate the animations and the sounds from your pet. But I do think you have something to base your choices on now :smile: I'll actually be taming a scorpion when I get home from work to test it out and see how I like it myself!

scorpions poison is nice, but for levelling e.g. you'll most likely kill enemies withih 10-20 sec, thats why its not that usefull.
for levelling, boars are the best to go. extra armor, extra health and they gain good initial aggro because of their charge which also stuns - good for pvp. plus, they eat trash. and bite + growl pretty much consumes exactly as much focus as a pet regains.

for pvp you'll take a fast attackspeed pet with high dmg (usually cats) as mentioned above and for instances and raids you'll want a wolf because of furious howl.

Last edited:
scorpions poison is nice, but for levelling e.g. you'll most likely kill enemies withih 10-20 sec, thats why its not that usefull.
for levelling, boars are the best to go. extra armor, extra health and they gain good initial aggro because of their charge which also stuns - good for pvp. plus, they eat trash. and bite + growl pretty much consumes exactly as much focus as a pet regains.

for pvp you'll take a fast attackspeed pet with high dmg (usually cats) as mentioned above and for instances and raids you'll want a wolf because of furious howl.

You are absolutely right. I've tried a scorpion now, and it was not at all efficient - the poison dealt a lot less damage than what I expected. So the bottom line is, turtle for best tanking, boar for faster leveling, cat for most damage/PvP.

I'll probably go for a turtle. I like both the red/black one and the green/brown ones from Blackfathom Deeps, I think I'll get the red/black because swag. Having a pocket tank is always good.

Another pet I tried out recently was a Wolf, but Furious Howl didn't seem to make a difference in my damage. The autoattack that consumed the buff did regular damage. Is this a bug, or because I only have Furious Howl rank 1 at this point? (I'm only lvl 22 so I can't get a higher rank) If Howl is worth it I might take a Wolf (either instead of or besides a turtle) to use if I'm in a group with a lot of physical DPS.

(I hope it's okay if I double-post here. It's been a while since my last post too, so an edit would make little sense.)

I've done some calculations on the whole armor vs health thing, and I think that bonus health isn't all that useless actually.

First, you have to think about what is important here. What's the goal of a tank pet? I'd say it's surviving as much damage as possible. +5% health means the pet can survive a whole 5% more damage. +13% armor increases armor rating, and we all know the more armor rating the pet already has the less of an effect extra armor is going to have.

Let's do some maths. A lvl18 tallstrider (+0% armor and +5% health) without any pet talents has 1028 armor, and 503 health. That armor reduces the damage from same-level mobs by 1028/(1028 + 400 + 85*18) = 34.75%. If we combine that with its health, the pet can tank about 770 physical damage at full health. A turtle (1162 armor and 479 health) can tank only 767 physical damage at full health. The difference is so small that we can safely say the two pets can tank physical damage equally well.

What about magic damage? This is where health really shines. Armor only reduces physical damage, not magical. Therefore only health affects how much magical damage a pet can tank. For our lvl18 tallstrider that's 503 damage, and 479 for our turtle. The difference is a little bigger here.

Now, what about if we take Mend Pet into the equation? Shouldn't the turtle's stats really shine there?

For a pet with +0% armor, each HP is worth 1.187 damage. For a +13% armor pet that number is 1.211. This means one secnd of Mend Pet Rank 1 (20 HP healed) heals 23.74 damage for a +0% armor pet, and 24.22 damage for a +13% armor pet. That's a very small difference. It's still a difference, but considering that Mend Pet mid-fight is only useful if you can heal faster than your pet is dying, it is probably rarely relevant.

I'm not trying to say Turtles aren't superior tanks. They are, but not because of their stats. Bears are the best tanks just looking at stats actually. If we do the same calculations I did for the lvl 18 turtle and tallstrider a bear (+5% armor, +8% health) can tank 806 physical, or 517 magical damage. That's more than either of our examples above.

The reason why a turtle is still the best choice if you want the tankest tank you can get is shell shield. No matter how much +% health or armor a pet is going to have, it will never be as tanky as a turtle with shell shield on. It reduces ALL incoming damage by 50%, that includes magical. That's only for 12 seconds, but still.

My conclusion to this is that I was probably right to think tallstriders were nice tank-that-can-still-DPS pets. Not as DPS as a cat, or as tank as a bear/boar/turtle with shell shield, but enough of both that you can take it in either direction with the right pet talents. There's also a tallstrider with 1.3s attack speed for PvP, that's something Turtles don't have (neither do boars and bears). As my second stable slot I'll get a turtle, in case I ever need something tankier than my tallstrider.

EDIT: Turns out I still had Endurance Training and Thick Hide in my talents when I checked those values. The pets however did not have any talents, so the difference is probably irrelevant.

EDIT2: Just to be clear, I am not saying +5% HP is strictly superior to +13% armor. All I am saying is that - despite looking like a much smaller bonus (5 < 13) - the +5% HP bonus comes surprisingly close to the +13% armor bonus, making it just as viable as the armor bonus if not more. At higher levels (and with the Natural Armor pet talent) the armor bonus is still going to make your pet tank physical damage more effectively than a health pet, especially if you take healing into account. However the health bonus also helps against magic damage, making health pets more versatile tanks than armor pets.

Last edited:
and we all know the more armor rating the pet already has the less of an effect extra armor is going to have.
i stopped reading here because its wrong. you need more armor to get like 1% more physical damage reduction displayed, yes. but while getting from 0% to 1% actually is only 1% of less damage, getting from like 98% reduction to 99% would mean 50% less damage than before (just an easy exemplification). thats why armor does not become "worth less", unless you hit the cap. also, many enemies also deal magic damage which is not effected by armor at all. furthermore, a tanking pet does not have to bee good in taking damage, it also has to keep the enemies aggro, else the whole tanking idea is overdue, especially for when you level.

You need more armor to get like 1% more physical damage reduction displayed, yes.

That is what I meant, sorry for not being more clear.

but while getting from 0% to 1% actually is only 1% of less damage, getting from like 98% reduction to 99% would mean 50% less damage than before (just an easy exemplification).

That is also true. Note however that the cap is at 75%, so the most 1% increase is ever going to do is if you go from 74% to 75%, meaning only about 3-4% less damage than before.

armor does not become "worth less", unless you hit the cap.

Depends on how you measure. Obviously it never becomes worthless (meaning it doesn't help at all) until you hit cap, the same amount of armor rating does however become worth less (meaning worth not as much) the more you have. You might be confusing "worthless" with "worth less", note the space.

also, many enemies also deal magic damage which is not effected by armor at all.

Correct, I've also stated this in my post. Another advantage of Health over Armor.

furthermore, a tanking pet does not have to bee good in taking damage, it also has to keep the enemies aggro, else the whole tanking idea is overdue, especially for when you level.

Isn't Growl usually enough? I'm not very high level yet, but so far the highest rank Growl available has always been enough. If it isn't, that would mean Turtles are not as good tanks as I thought, since their damage is already low and Shell Shield reduces it even more. Would be nice to know how much damage your pet needs to keep aggro (Bite + Growl for example), so I could update my calculations accordingly.

Top Bottom