• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior Leveling, understanding abilities

danikar

I am leveling as a arm spec warrior (only level 16). I am trying to figure out the best way to use my abilities.

Before I was putting up rend, and just heroic striking like crazy, but found I had little rage for anything else (obviously).

I changed my strategy to putting up rend, and only heroic striking with 60+ rage, so I would have rage for hamstring, demo shout, and thunder clap.

This seems to work pretty decently, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice that might help level a bit faster.

Thanks! :)

Good that you started using rend as opener, but you can use HS as soon as possible vs one mob. The most dmg you do with white hits and hs, and you generate enough rage for sometimes overpower ;) Waiting until 60+ rage didnt worth cause the fight is mostly over by reaching it, so use HS if you have the rage.

Also works while fighting two, you only need good weapons while leveling.

So far \o/

I would not use Demo Shout and Thunderclap every when you would not have a problem killing the mob anyway. That 30 rage you need to spend are better invested into abilities that increase your damage. If you are fighting against runners just try to keep 10 rage to apply hamstring.

Demo Shout and Thunderclap I mostly use when I am in a group as DPS warrior and we are fighting against larger melee groups or when I pulled too many mobs but either can't escape or think that I can kill them.

At lower levels its basically Charge > Rend > Heroic Strike until the fight is over. Situational would be Shield Bash to interrupt heals, Hamstring against runners or Disarm when I am very low on health and want to minize the damage I take against melees. And keep Battle Shout up all the time.

Later on as arms warrior its basically the same. I just go into Berserker Stance for Pummel to interrupt spellcasting instead of using Shield Bash (no weapon swapping anymore), or to use Whirlwind when I have enough rage and Mortal Strike is on cooldown. And against multiple mobs I use Sweeping Strikes in the beginning of the fight go into Berserker Stance as soon as I have 25 rage to use Whirlwind.

I always try to keep at least 5 rage to be able to use Overpower whenever it is enabled. It is a really powerful ability and you dont want miss your opportunity to use it because you don't have enough rage. So I use Mortal Strike which costs 30 rage only when I have at least 35 rage available.

You should generate 5 rage when your enemy has dodged (or parried) an attack. This way Overpower would always be available. This is currently not working properly. There is a bug report for it too. As fellow warrior I recommend you to upvote it :)

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=8242

Last edited:
Nice to see the use of Rend not being downvoted to hell. Backing off of Frederik, I'd only use Thunderclap when you get 2 mobs, and demo shout. (don't reapply though)

Leveling with a one hander shield right now, level 26. Got arms to Anger Management, and will get OP crit, and then move to Last stand and rest in fury for rage.

Anticipation was literally the BEST talent i could ever pick. It helps A LOT with how much downtime you have.

Leveling with a one hander shield right now, level 26. Got arms to Anger Management, and will get OP crit, and then move to Last stand and rest in fury for rage.

Anticipation was literally the BEST talent i could ever pick. It helps A LOT with how much downtime you have.

Danikar please ignore this.

Please see: https://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/111783-Warrior-Talent-Tree-Help for your leveling specs.

Before the backlash on no Anticipation.... Anticipation does not equal 25% damage reduction. You get more than 25% increased kill time. So down time is decreased by kill times being much faster.

Danikar please ignore this.

Please see: https://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread.php/111783-Warrior-Talent-Tree-Help for your leveling specs.

Before the backlash on no Anticipation.... Anticipation does not equal 25% damage reduction. You get more than 25% increased kill time. So down time is decreased by kill times being much faster.

I never said it did, nor did i say that he should follow what i use. Anticipation helps me with downtime simply because i don't get myself in situations where i need to stop much. Bigger chances to parry, block, and dodge, no matter how small, helps, specially when a class levels as awkwardly as a warrior.

Wasn't you the guy who was supposedly advocating for a prot leveling spec?

At low levels don't expect to do much of a rotation, you don't really have enough spells to really tryhard a proper ability on every global cooldown (GCD).

As soon as you hit level 40 and get your first 31-pointer talent, you should consider no longer using rend since it's a waste of rage (it's basicly 1/3rd of a Mortal Strike).

Overpower and Revenge are amazing abilities. Super cheap rage-wise and, although they scare the same "cooldown", either of them should always be used when they proc.

Don't underestimate the value of Battle Shout, it's alot of attack power at any level. Also when fighting more than 1 melee-mob, don't hesitate to "debuff" them using Demo shout and/or Thunderclap.

Honestly I wouldn't put my money on Sweeping Strikes, it takes very long to set up a proper SS>WW combo and unless you are rocking a very strong (for your level) 2-hander I would often just prefer to WW and Cleave.

Keep in mind Heroic Strikes "consume" your auto-attacks (AA), so not only does HS cost you rage - it also takes away the rage you would've gained from your next AA. Not to say it's a bad ability, but as soon as you get to level 40 you really want be able to hit that 31-pointer every time it comes off cooldown.

As for your spec. I would say first off it's going to depend on what kind of weapons you find. If you find a good 1hander you can consider a Fury/Prot spec where you toggle your offhand and shield. Arms is definitely the biggest "burst" spec and when mostly fighting mobs your own level or below your own level this is the preferred spec. The only problem with Arms is that one of the free-est dmg increases you can get is the 5% crit from Fury, therefor I personally just went 31 points into Fury first, to get to that 31-pointer asap. And after that I noticed any dungeon I wanted to join I ended up tanking, so I filled up towards the Prot tree. Toughness and Defiance are great talents.

As soon as you hit level 40 and get your first 31-pointer talent, you should consider no longer using rend since it's a waste of rage (it's basicly 1/3rd of a Mortal Strike).
Even before 40, I found Rend to be a waste of rage. It just does such pathetically low damage that the rage is much better spent on Slam or HS.

Honestly I wouldn't put my money on Sweeping Strikes, it takes very long to set up a proper SS>WW combo and unless you are rocking a very strong (for your level) 2-hander I would often just prefer to WW and Cleave.

Sweeping Strikes gives you 5 extra attacks for just 30 rage I think thats amazing. If you want to activate both SS and Whirlwind you need 55 rage. If you want to use WW and Cleave you need 45 rage, but it does way less damage. You can only really compare it if you add another Cleave or WW to it.

You get 15 rage through Charge and 10 rage through Bloodrage. And you have your first weapon swing right after Charge as well. So that alone should get you over 30 rage to enable SS. WW should be ready to use after your second weapon swing. So after roughly 3 to 4 seconds into the fight. Thats not too bad.

Also you have to keep in mind that if you use Overpower when SS is enabled and it crits, your extra attack does roughly the same damage on the other mob as well.
And SS does not consume your auto attacks, like it is the case with Cleave. Cleave only gives you 1 extra attack on the other mob, consumes an auto attack and costs only 10 rage less than SS.

Here is a damage comparison I just did on the warrior I rerolled on Kronos 2. I edited out all my weapon swings to show only the damage caused by abilities I actually spent rage on. In both cases I fought 2 enemies

Sweeping Strikes and Whirlwind

You gain Sweeping Strikes.
You gain Berserker Stance.
Your Whirlwind hits Starving Buzzard for 215.
Your Sweeping Strikes hits Ridge Stalker for 207.
Your Whirlwind hits Starving Buzzard for 203.
Your Sweeping Strikes hits Ridge Stalker for 211.
Your Sweeping Strikes hits Ridge Stalker for 159.
Your Sweeping Strikes hits Ridge Stalker for 145.
Your Sweeping Strikes hits Ridge Stalker for 155.
Sweeping Strikes fades from you.

That is 1295 damage for 55 rage.

For that amount of rage you could do one WW and Cleave. I added another cleave though as WW had still a 6 second CD.

Your Whirlwind hits Starving Buzzard for 205.
Your Whirlwind hits Ridge Stalker for 212.
Your Cleave hits Starving Buzzard for 193.
Your Cleave hits Ridge Stalker for 210.
Your Cleave hits Starving Buzzard for 201.
Your Cleave hits Ridge Stalker for 199.

That is 1220 for 65 rage.

So with SS and Cleave get less damage for more rage. And you have to take into account that Cleave consumed two of my auto attacks in this case as well. In my opinion it's always worth to wait for the 55 rage to enable both SS and WW.

^ This doesn't even take into consideration the rage gained from damage taken. So you actually get to do a WW with Sweeping strikes activated sooner.

Rend is best damage per rage until you are level 40. Period. And shows its strength even more against a higher level mob that your autos will glance. If it falls off and mob is 55% HP or more, reapply, if not, save the rage for a stronger execute.

Top Bottom