• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior Slam

frederik

Authorized
Can somebody please explain to me on how and when to use Slam as either Arms or Fury warrior? If I spec Fury is Improved Slam something I should take?

Do not take the talent unless you plan to be 2 hander fury.

You definitely need a Swing Speed timer addon for that case, as a person using 2 hander weapon using HS for DPS isnt really as good as slam so... Slam is an extra attack that RESETS your swing timer, if you happen to have excess rage you use Slam right after performing your swing, in order to minimize the amount of time you waste.

Right after your white hit is performed, you use slam, casting takes place and your attack timer starts from beginning again. I think weapons with procs(BRE, UTB, Kalimdor's Revenge) are good for this kind of spec. Would definitely work better on horde side.

Although with all things considered it'd probably lose to DW fury dps. If anyone with experience on it in Kronos provided info/logs it'd be very nice of you ;3

OEB is worse than onyxia weapons generally. UtB could possibly be good depending on the proc rate however it's still worse than DW along with ashkandi and all of the rest of the 2 handers in naxx. BRE is a sole exception, since the 1.12 proc is completely broken.

If you're fury spec with a 3.4 spd weapon like BRE, slam is a very small DPS boost however it can still worthwhile to use if you keep in mind that you don't want to delay BT/WW and you still want to continue spamming hamstring. If you completely disregard that while trying to fit slam in, it's a DPS loss.

For arms however since you don't have flurry, slam becomes a very valuable rage dump so you can certainly start to delay MS/WW with slams if you're capping out on rage and it's usage becomes essential to do good DPS.

Last edited:
I was always told to use slam immediately following a white hit. So I setup some swing timers and started whacking away. Hitting slam as soon as my white numbers floated up from the mob. This is bad. My swing timer was completing and almost a FULL SECOND later, the white numbers would dance up from the mob. As I gained a little more experience, I noticed that as soon as my swing time completed, the mob would lose health, a second later the white damage floated up and finally I'd hit slam. I was losing massive amounts of DPS using slam this way. When soloing, watch your targets health bar. Don't wait for the white hit numbers to show up. They show up extremely late. Go by the health bar. As soon as you see the chunk of health evaporate from your target, cast slam. Most of the time I don't even see the white hit damage numbers at all. Once I see the mobs health go down from a normal swing, that's my queue to hit slam.

I don't have logs or hard numbers, but I'm level 38. I was keeping barely ahead of a 42 rogue in scarlet armory last night. He was flipping me shit about not spamming cleave too. I think cleave is too expensive but that's another discussion. Just grab a swing timer. There's a few of them around. If I were home I'd post mine up. But tldr of my post it, don't wait for white damage numbers to pop. Watch the mobs actual health bar and pop slam when it gets a chunk taken out due to your white hit.

Is it really that useful when playing alone though? Mobs tend to cause pushback on my cast if I'm not lucky and our attacks are in sync.

I was always told to use slam immediately following a white hit. So I setup some swing timers and started whacking away. Hitting slam as soon as my white numbers floated up from the mob. This is bad. My swing timer was completing and almost a FULL SECOND later, the white numbers would dance up from the mob. As I gained a little more experience, I noticed that as soon as my swing time completed, the mob would lose health, a second later the white damage floated up and finally I'd hit slam. I was losing massive amounts of DPS using slam this way. When soloing, watch your targets health bar. Don't wait for the white hit numbers to show up. They show up extremely late. Go by the health bar. As soon as you see the chunk of health evaporate from your target, cast slam. Most of the time I don't even see the white hit damage numbers at all. Once I see the mobs health go down from a normal swing, that's my queue to hit slam.

I don't have logs or hard numbers, but I'm level 38. I was keeping barely ahead of a 42 rogue in scarlet armory last night. He was flipping me shit about not spamming cleave too. I think cleave is too expensive but that's another discussion. Just grab a swing timer. There's a few of them around. If I were home I'd post mine up. But tldr of my post it, don't wait for white damage numbers to pop. Watch the mobs actual health bar and pop slam when it gets a chunk taken out due to your white hit.

Use a scrolling combat text mod to see the actual timing. The delayed white hit that you are describing is a display bug with default blizz damage numbers.

So I am Arms specced at the moment. I mostly tank but sometimes I go as DPS as well. Could you guys give me an example rotation that uses Slam? So I get a better feeling on when to use it.

Slam is still good to use solo before you get to train any instants like whirlwind or BT. You will get pushed back most times though and even if you time slams between enemy swings you'll only get a good opportunity maybe once every 10s so there's no escaping it unless you spec into imp. slam.

Top Bottom