• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior Protection warrior guide

g0esh4cks

Authorized
Warrior_crest.png

Warrior in general

"For as long as war has raged, heroes from every race have aimed to master the art of battle. Warriors combine strength, leadership, and a vast knowledge of arms and armor to wreak havoc in glorious combat."

Warriors are melee fighters highly trained in the art of weaponry. Melee combat is the warrior’s strongest skill. They are strong and quick on the battlefield. Warrior abilities depend on rage generation. Rage is generated through damage being dealt to and by the warrior and is capped at 100. Warrior can wear any type of armor, including plate armor from level 40. They are able to use shields and almost every weapon with exception of wands and librams. The primary warrior attributes for Protection, attributes are Stamina, Strength, Defense. Warrior is only class that can be played by every selectable race in game.

Basic stats

Strength
1 str = 2 attack power
20 str = 1 block value

Agility
1 agi = 2 points of armor
20 agi = 1.0% crit
20 agi = 1.0% dodge

Stamina
1 stamina = 10.0 HP

Hit rating
15.7692 hit rating = 1% hit chance

Defensive rating
2.3654 defensive rating = 1 defense skill
1 defense skill increase by 0.04% Block, Dodge, Parry & chance to be miss.
1 defense skill decrease by 0.04% chance to be crit and be dazed.

Dodge rating
18.9230 dodge rating = 1% to dodge

Parry rating
22.4 parry rating = 1% to parry

Shield Block rating
7.8846 shield block rating = 1% chance to block

Talents

Consumables/Flask/Potions/Elixir

Flask
Flask of the Titans - +1.200 Health

Elixir

Elixir of Brute Force - +18 Stamina & 18 Strength
Elixir of Fortitude - +120 Health

Potion

Major Troll‘s Blood Potion - 20 Health every 5 second​
Major Healing Potion - Heal you for 1050-1751 health

Resistance potions for various boss fights:

Greater Arcane Protection Potion - Absorb 1950-3250 Arcane damage
Shazzrah encounter for example

Greater Fire Protection Potion - Absorb 1950-3250 Fire damage
Ragnaros encounter for example

Greater Shadow Protection Potion - Absorb 1950-3250 Shadow damage
Kazzak encounter for example

Greater Frost Protection Potion - Absorb 1950-3250 Frost damage
Naxxramas encounters

Greater Nature Protection Potion - Absorb 1950-3251 Nature damage
AQ encounters

Consumables

Tender Wolf Steak - +12 Stamina & 12 Spirit​
Lung Juice Cocktail - +25 Stamina​
Juju Escape - +5% Dodge for 20second​
Rumsey Rum Black Label - +15 Stamina for 5minutes​
Crystal Ward - +200 armor for 30minutes​
Night Dragon‘s Breath - Heal you for 394-457 Health

Best in slot/alternative pre-raid warrior gear + enchants

Head (+100 Health)
Enchanted Thorium Helm /
Gyth‘s Skull of Fire Resistance

Neck

Ring 2
Band of Resolution / Naglering
Trinket 1
Vigilance Charm / Counterattack Lodestone

Trinket 2
Force of Will

One-hand Weapon (+15 Agility)
Timeworn Mace / Hedgecutter

Shield (+2% blocking)
Draconian Deflector / Barrier Shield

Ranged Weapon
Gorewood Bow / Carapace Spine Crossbw

Resistance gear

Nature Resistance gear + enchants

Helm (+10 Nature Resistance - Avalible after ZG release)
Gyth‘s Skull of Nature resistance - Avalible after release
Helm of the Mountain - Avalible after release

Shoulder (+5 Nature Resistance)

Acid Inscribed Pauldrons - These are avalible after Ysondre release
Acid-etched Pauldrons - avalible from begining

Cloak (+15 Nature Resistance)

Green Dragonskin Cloak - Avalible after Dragons of Nightmare release
Fluctuating Cloak of Nature Resistance - Avalible after release

Chest

Silithid Carapace Chestguard - Avalible after AQ release
Breastplate of Wrath - Avalible after BWL release
Ironvine Breastplate - Avalible from begining

Wrist

Noxxion‘s Shackles - Avalible from begining

Hands

Ooze-ridden Gauntlets - Avalible after AQ release
Ironvine Gloves - Avalible after release

Waist

Ironvine Belt - Avalible after release

Legs (+10 Nature Resistance - Avalible after ZG release)

Cenarion Reservist‘s Legplates - Avalible after release (Q reward!)
Elemental Rockridge Leggings - Avalible after release (alternative if u misclick Q reward)

Boots

Acid Inscribed Greaves - Avalible after Dragon of nightmare release

Shield

Husk of Nerub‘enkan - Avalible after release

Rings

Ring of Binding - Avalible after release
Band of Cenarius - Avalible after release

Trinket

Heart of Noxxion - Avalible after release

Last edited:
Can't wait to raid naxxramars lol
maybe you should leave out the defense rating, parry rating etc because that doesn't exist in vanilla. Only block value exists.

Good job !

I have minor suggestions/corrections for gear choices, if you do not mind :smile:

For Gloves slot i just want to mention another nice sidegrade - Deathbone Gauntlets, which offer slightly more defense at the cost of armor/strength while providing set bonuses with other set pieces.

For Leg slot Legplates of Vigilance is amazing item, but it won't be avaliable at Kronos release since it's looted from chest after defeating boss from Tier 0.5 chain.
I suggest again to turn your gaze to just slightly worse Deathbone Legguards but having in mind that set bonus. Yes, tanks you gotta live in Scholo :biggrin:

For Boots slot i definitely want to mention Boots of Avoidance as they have probably highest total avoidance in slot pre-raid, and my personal favourites Crystal Encrusted Greaves, which probably not going to be avaliable at release as well as they come from quest line added in patch 1.8 in Silithus.

Both Band of the Steadfast Hero and Band of Resolution not going to be avaliable at release so i suggest Ring of Protection or Band of Flesh to pair with Naglering.

And another sidegrade that should be mentioned in my opinion for Shields is Intricately Runed Shield

Last edited:
Good job !
For Gloves slot i just want to mention another nice sidegrade - Deathbone Gauntlets, which offer slightly more defense at the cost of armor/strength while providing set bonuses with other set pieces.

You have 2 set bonus, nother set bonuses is crap, instead of 5 wich u never reach because we have better items in list.

For Leg slot Legplates of Vigilance is amazing item, but it won't be avaliable at Kronos release since it's looted from chest after defeating boss from Tier 0.5 chain.
I suggest again to turn your gaze to just slightly worse Deathbone Legguards but having in mind that set bonus. Yes, tanks you gotta live in Scholo :biggrin:

I need to check it again TY.

For Boots slot i definitely want to mention Boots of Avoidance as they have probably highest total avoidance in slot pre-raid, and my personal favourites Crystal Encrusted Greaves, which probably not going to be avaliable at release as well as they come from quest line added in patch 1.8 in Silithus.

I bet u never get NR gear on vanilla. Crystal Encrusted Greaves are boots from Q Armaments of War wich have BiS NR legs reward Cenarion Reservist's Legplates

Both Band of the Steadfast Hero and Band of Resolution not going to be avaliable at release so i suggest Ring of Protection or Band of Flesh to pair with Naglering.

I check it again

And another sidegrade that should be mentioned in my opinion for Shields is Intricately Runed Shield

80hp not worth when u have 2% more block. It is another option but not second :)

Can't wait to raid naxxramars lol
maybe you should leave out the defense rating, parry rating etc because that doesn't exist in vanilla. Only block value exists.

Corrected

I bet u never get NR gear on vanilla. Crystal Encrusted Greaves are boots from Q Armaments of War wich have BiS NR legs reward Cenarion Reservist's Legplates
Good point with legs, back in the days i didn't take them as well. To be fair, i must state i didn't suffer that much later in AQ and needed NR only for Viscidius, on Huhu i was tanking and wasn't soaking. I ended up using some Maraudon piece for NR leginss instead, though as we can see it wasn't optimal.

80hp not worth when u have 2% more block. It is another option but not second :)
If you itemize with your own guide you have enough avoidance (with used up Shield Block) to push crushing blows off the roll table. Thus you shouldn't be needing passive block %. Block % is only usefull when your total avoidance is lower then 102.4% added up with shield block up.

If you itemize with your own guide you have enough avoidance (with used up Shield Block) to push crushing blows off the roll table. Thus you shouldn't be needing passive block %. Block % is only usefull when your total avoidance is lower then 102.4% added up with shield block up.

Well priority is BiS wich is Draconian Deflector, and still think barrier shield better than Intricately Runed Shield but its depand on your way of play :)

My preferred raid tank setup 3 tanks. if you have 4 tanks have 2 in Main tank spec.

Main tank spec: http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_835c5zf55250110530221051

2nd tank spec http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_805c2o55001l55250110530221001

3rd tank spec http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_835304d3520105c105q505e4i
Requires weapon swap macro to dps when only 2 tanks are needed, and to be able macro back to 1h shield if one of the 2 tanks drops.

2nd tank is on demo shout duties, piercing howl duties

3rd tank is on thunder clap duties - price you gotta pay to roll 2H warrior

Dungeon:

5 man tank spec: http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_805c5zf55250113530221231

Last edited:
I find in 5 mans, imp shield bash is really important due to a lot of the casters at lvl 60 having 2 schools to cast from. This allows you to silence on of them, move them on top of the other caster, stacking your pullpull much better. And shield wall will be available every other pull. Alternate last stand and shield wall to start each pull.

Last edited:
With some decent gear, do you think a protection warrior would work in PvP?

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_802305c11j5q55225113e21241

Of course I've only played Warrior in Vanilla to like level 20 so I'm not sure on spec. I'd stance dance of course instead of staying strictly in defensive stance; or would I benefit more in just defensive? I know I won't do a lot of damage but thinking this would be more of an annoy / harasser spec more than anything.

Sword and board of course.

Any changes welcome please :D or of course it would be better to just not PvP as Protection lol.

Yes and no.
You would need off gear to deal at least some damage, even as defense warrior. If you plan to PvP with it I recommend to get T1/T2, go a spec with shield bash silence and revenge stun and make yourself useful as flag carrier. Other then that its pretty pointless.

With some decent gear, do you think a protection warrior would work in PvP?

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_1_802305c11j5q55225113e21241

Of course I've only played Warrior in Vanilla to like level 20 so I'm not sure on spec. I'd stance dance of course instead of staying strictly in defensive stance; or would I benefit more in just defensive? I know I won't do a lot of damage but thinking this would be more of an annoy / harasser spec more than anything.

Sword and board of course.

Any changes welcome please :D or of course it would be better to just not PvP as Protection lol.

Protection warrior with pvp gear was viable on the two less popular pvp maps. It is good in AV, you could rush to the final boss and you could tank him and other camps with minimal heals on you. It was good in AB because you and another could survive long enough to hold a base from 3 or 4 assulting. Giving your team numbers advantage else where. Flag carrier in WG, sure but would prefer tank gear for that.

- - - Updated - - -

In PVP Mortal Strike is just to valuable. So unless you are second warrior in a static group, you need mortal strike to kill through the heals.

You dont get 2 and 3 extra blocks. Only 2. The 2/3 and 3/3 only.increase the time by .5 seconds each.

I guess he wanted to point that out but only missklicked on his keyboard. But back to topic: Those 2 talentpoints are, as said before a total waste, because the attackspeed of enemies is (usually) fast enough to bring 2 strikes at you in those 5.5 seconds with the talent.

Maybe i just dont find enough word to express myself. But pretty much you explain what I want to say so nvm :) I am just not from english speaking country :)

I've understood why no one picks likes Blood Craze and Enrage for tanking... Because even in pre-raid BiS you're already have good defense rating and get crits very rarely, right?

However, for a very undergeared tank with a good healer in 5-mans something like http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=11215875_1_805c5zf55250113530221231 should be... at least interesting.

I also got a special question about Improved Heroic Strike. According to http://www.wowwiki.com/Kenco's_research_on_threat, Shield Slam is just a little better than Heroic Strike, so basically HS have to be spammed as well, so... Why you're not improving it?

Nimerlous, while the guy has the spare time to auto attack his heart out, his brain is missing.

"no reason to you demo shout", confirmed he is a scrub.

There is more to being a tank than holding aggro. Your job isnt to just take damage, but mitigate the incoming damage to the best of your ability. Demo shout lowers the attack power of enemies. Why would I not use this?

It is about when to use it. Dont use it at the start of your pull, but once you establish a base threat, use it. To counter the loss of a GCD global cool down, you can always shield bash if(not slam) as that move is not on GCD. Though if you were that close to losing aggro, you shouldnt demo at that point.

Also he says in the example to alternate sunder and HS, Sunder is a GCD move HS is on next attack. So they can be done at the same time. Do not underestimate shield slam. The fact it doesnt consume a white hit makes it better than HS, but only when you have a lot of rage. 45 >. You dont want to put yourself lower than 15 rage at any time. So you can child block, revenge on cooldown.

Nimerlous, while the guy has the spare time to auto attack his heart out, his brain is missing.

"no reason to you demo shout", confirmed he is a scrub.

There is more to being a tank than holding aggro. Your job isnt to just take damage, but mitigate the incoming damage to the best of your ability. Demo shout lowers the attack power of enemies. Why would I not use this?
Woo, man, slow down, I'm sure Kenco didn't want to offend anyone :) Anyway, he knows something about aggro since he've made KTL.

But nevermind. My question about (no) HS improve still open, since Shield Slam is for "a lot of rage" situations only.

And also I've formulated a bit crazy idea about warrior who "wants to be critted" (with low defense) and thus picks Blood Craze and Enrage. It'd make him more druidish, but I find it funny for early-60 anyway x)

In 5 mans, you will rarely use HS. The incoming damage is not there to have that much rage. Your white hits are very important in 5 man.

You are better off using those points in improved revenge to stun mobs to mitigate damage and "stun tank" with mixing in concus blow.

A raid tank is more interestef in imp HS and will use this build:

http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=11215875_1_835c5zf55250110530221051

Hope that clarifies your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Woo, man, slow down, I'm sure Kenco didn't want to offend anyone :) Anyway, he knows something about aggro since he've made KTL.

But nevermind. My question about (no) HS improve still open, since Shield Slam is for "a lot of rage" situations only.

And also I've formulated a bit crazy idea about warrior who "wants to be critted" (with low defense) and thus picks Blood Craze and Enrage. It'd make him more druidish, but I find it funny for early-60 anyway x)

High block is going to counter the low def against crit. It is better in a 5 man to not take crits for a small dps increase. The heal is terrible compared to the X 1.5 damage you just took and is for leveling only.

You will have bad healers too in 5 mans. Bad heal+ bad specced tank is a bad time.

Top Bottom