• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Paladin Levelling a paladin

Well, this is where we differ, because I take what I have and I use it to the fullest. I don't need any powerups. If the whole server will hate me for playing ret? Heh, so be it. It's their decision to hate the paladin class.

Im not asking for "powerups", but having an equal ground with others as a start is kind of important wouldnt you say? From there we can separate the "good from the bad", but being severely handicapped to begin with is not good for anyone. You masochist you! ;)

If that is true, that just means I will have no trouble gearing up. :wink: And other paladins will probably have eaiser time getting into raids too.

But you will, because all the loots will go to the holy paladins - IF you are even lucky to join to begin with.

Well, what are you doing here then? :yes: Go get a warrior! I play paladins because I love the class too.

My favorite class is the paladin, always have been. What I mean was simply that I love the warrior class as well.

If there are no other videos than killing undead, then I have to link undead videos :rolleyes2: Besides, you realize that the "undead" enemy only gives us 1 damage spell with a 15s cooldown, right? No benefits for tanking.

lol, there might be a reason there's only pallies against undead videos then ;)
Sure exorcism is one spell with a 15 sec CD, which always crit too btw. But for tanking, that Holy Wrath AoE is amazing, no denying that. We will see how it goes, I will level one paladin for sure. I still wish the devs would make some small adjustments to class balances, so that every spec becomes viable. Im completely fine with being a little behind the pure dps classes in damage output, as it should be, but at least make us viable! Cheers

Im not asking for "powerups", but having an equal ground with others as a start is kind of important wouldnt you say? From there we can separate the "good from the bad", but being severely handicapped to begin with is not good for anyone. You masochist you! ;)
The only inequality I ever felt was missing a 30yrd ranged attack.

There are druids and priests to do the main healing job. We had enough healers, so I usually kept refilling people at 90%hp with flashing... pretty boring thing. Then I got some extra hit equipment and started raiding as 21/0/30. I was switching specs before, I even had sanctuary at some point in time, I never really explained my specs to the pally CL either. We just sorted out if I had BoK or not. There were others with BoK and yes I still carried my holy stuff around. But I had a viable PvP spec that works with PvE aswell, and before every raid (or even every boss) I could ask if we need heal or dps. Usually I just went pew pew.

I wanted to throw a huge wall of text about what is good about hybrid pally, but I won't. Discover it yourself and prove your team that you are useful. Or don't prove anything and just go holy :smile:

But you will, because all the loots will go to the holy paladins - IF you are even lucky to join to begin with.
Well, prove you're useful. There's not much advice I can tell you here.

My favorite class is the paladin, always have been. What I mean was simply that I love the warrior class as well.
Okay then :)

lol, there might be a reason there's only pallies against undead videos then ;)
Sure exorcism is one spell with a 15 sec CD, which always crit too btw. But for tanking, that Holy Wrath AoE is amazing, no denying that. We will see how it goes, I will level one paladin for sure. I still wish the devs would make some small adjustments to class balances, so that every spec becomes viable. Im completely fine with being a little behind the pure dps classes in damage output, as it should be, but at least make us viable! Cheers

Yeah, people were afraid of doing dps on something else, or didn't want to show how the paladin dps sux :tongue: Still, having one more suxxy DPS is better than having an extra unrequired healer, and you're free to balance the ratio on every boss.

Which profession is useful for leveling paladin and benefical on lvl60 in PvE/PvP for holy paladin as well?
Engineering for early trinkets and grenades -> more damage?
Blacksmithing for making gear?
I would say, that blacksmithing should be more benefical in leveling up since prices of items should be little bit higher on new server with the "opening boom". But I don't really see any use for it on lvl60 (there are no sockets on vanilla, right?)

my setup:

mining + herb during leveling (ore for guildies :biggrin:)
after that herb + alch (if youre thinking about holy raiding, alchemy sure)

thanks for advice, never played vanilla before (but got tired of "press what you can, when something procs, press buttons that shine) so I didn't thought about alchemy.

Which profession is useful for leveling paladin and benefical on lvl60 in PvE/PvP for holy paladin as well?
Engineering for early trinkets and grenades -> more damage?
Blacksmithing for making gear?
I would say, that blacksmithing should be more benefical in leveling up since prices of items should be little bit higher on new server with the "opening boom". But I don't really see any use for it on lvl60 (there are no sockets on vanilla, right?)

I don't know if it would be wise to go Mining/BS just for the sake of having leveling gear. Players will most likely be running the low level dungeons frequently and you can get gear this way; it will better gear than you can craft also.

Engineering, only if you plan to PVP IMO.

I'd pick professions from the perspective of being level capped.

Great guide. Thank you!

If I go Ret, will I be able to tank in a pinch? Most quest and dungeon groups seem to struggle with getting a tank.

I realize this thread is quite old but since this post was made the talent tree links no longer work right.
I am currently considering leveling a pally or a warrior. Never leveled a pally. If I do level a pally I'd like to try the prot spec route. Would you mind re-posting a prot spec tree for leveling?

You can take the wowprovider links here, click IMPORT and paste the old link into the calculator :smile:

As long as it does not get fixed. I think the damage reduction you should get isn't working properly.

Would be really nice if they fixed SotC so that it doesn't take your BoM benefits off when you judge it. I'd like to be able to do the SotC -> Judgement -> SoR rotation when I need to without having to reapply BoM every time.

Also, I'm guessing that lvling as prot will be extremely slow early on. I know most lvl as ret, but reading Psojed's posts about prot spec lvling intrigued me. I'm only lvl 10 now. Should I just start putting my talent points into Redoubt then?

Would be really nice if they fixed SotC so that it doesn't take your BoM benefits off when you judge it. I'd like to be able to do the SotC -> Judgement -> SoR rotation when I need to without having to reapply BoM every time.

Also, I'm guessing that lvling as prot will be extremely slow early on. I know most lvl as ret, but reading Psojed's posts about prot spec lvling intrigued me. I'm only lvl 10 now. Should I just start putting my talent points into Redoubt then?

I would not level as prot at lower levels. Before you have at least Holy Shield you get not much that increases your damage against multiple targets. Besides Blessing of Sanctuary but that alone isn't sufficient. Protection AoE grinding shines when you reached level 51. Then you have enough points for 11/31/0. This gives you access to Consecration, Blessing of Sanctuary and Holy Shield.
On lower levels I would just stick with Retribution. If you want to tank early on I'd recomment to put your first 11 points in Holy and get Consecration first though. It is the most important skill for tanking low level instances.

At lower levels, talent spec has absolutely no effect. First difference comes at level 16+ when you have access to either improved Judgement (ret) or Precision (prot).

Precision is the better talent of these two, since the number of misses over the course of your whole levelling process at levels 16-60 is huge. Also it allows you to take on higher level monsters more easily, which allows a player to clear the whole location and then go to another, instead of switching locations after doing the lower half of the quests. So even if specced Protection, the levelling can proceed at decent pace.

First big difference for ret is obviously when SoCommand and Pursuit of Justice becomes available, so I would still recommend levelling as ret due to the movement speed bonus and a Seal that actually scales with your gear.

PS: I'm still waiting for someone to showoff that "AoE tanking" they keep talking about.

PS: I'm still waiting for someone to showoff that "AoE tanking" they keep talking about.

http://realmplayers.com/Talents.aspx#sVxuzxoZVhdcshv
This spec would only be available at lvl 60 obviously, but would it be a viable AoE tank spec? My guess is not for end game kind of stuff. But perhaps if someone was wanting to solo grind lower lvl 5-mans for farming, do you think it would be a good spec to go with? Again, I never played a pally much back in retail so I'm sort of just toying with things right now.

I forgot to add blessing of sanctuary

Last edited:

What do you mean? Don't you do that as soon as you use Consecration?

At lower levels, talent spec has absolutely no effect

Depends on your definition of lower. Below 20 there isn't really any difference as you said. I try not to respec too much before I hit 60 so I'd go straight to what you want your spec to be later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom