• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Warrior [GUIDE] Prot Pre-Raid-BiS-List / Specs / Enchants

Storfan

This is a comprehensive guide that I made for a certain "other" private server that was taken down a few months back (You all know which one), and thus some items may or may not be entirely correct due to different progress in terms of content and item release. This also means that proc-rates of various items have NOT been tested for Kronos (yet) but I aim to do that.

The items are listed in order of value meaning higher up the list is better. Some items can be moved up and down the lists depending on other gear choices, def-cap etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs and talents:
- Standard Prot build (8/5/38)
- Maximum TPS with impale (17/3/31) Sort-of viable with BWL-BiS gear and ZG-enchants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEAR:

Helms:
- Enchanted Thorium Helm (BoE, Crafted with BS)
- Gyth's Skull (Gyth, UBRS)
- Golem Skull Helm (Magmus, BRD)

Necks:
- Medallion of Grand Marshal Morris (BoE)
- Evil Eye Pendant (Immolthar, DM-West)
- Verek's Collar (Verek, BRD-vault)

Shoulders:
- Stockade Pauldrons (BoE)
- Bulky Iron Spaulders (Mol'Dar and Slip'kik, DM-North)
- Bile-etched Spaulders (Immolthar, DM-West)
- Stoneform Shoulders (Kirtonos the herald, Scholo)

Cloaks:
- Redoubt Cloak (Gordok Tribute chest, DM-North)
- Shifting Cloak (BoE, Crafted with LW)
- Stoneskin Gargoyle Cape (Stonespine, rare, Strat-UD)
- The Emperor's New Cape (Emperor, BRD)
- Cloak of Warding (BoE, Crafted with tailoring)

Chests:
- Enchanted Thorium Breastplate (BoE, Crafted with BS)
- Ornate Adamantium Breastplate (Quest reward)
- Deathbone Chestplate (Several bosses, Scholo)
- Kromcrush's Chestplate (Kromcrush, DM-North)

Bracers:
- Bracers of Might (BoE)
- Fel Hardened Bracers (Summoned warlock dreadsteed-quest boss in DM-West)
- Vigorsteel Vambraces (Darkmaster Gandling, Scholo)
- Runed Golem Shackles (BoE)
- Bracers of Valor (BoE)

Gloves:
- Stonegrip Gauntlets (BoE)
- Force Imbued Gauntlets (Illyanna Ravenoak, DM-West)
- Cragfists of the Bear/Monkey (Ancient Stone Keeper, Ulduaman)

Belt:
- Belt of Might (BoE)
- Stalwart Clutch (Quest reward, Burning Steppes)

Legs:
- Enchanted Thorium Leggings (BoE, Crafted with BS)
- Legplates of the Eternal Guardian (Tomb of the seven, BRD)
- Slagplate Leggings (Quest reward, Searing Gorge)
- Warmaster Legguards (Rend, UBRS)
- Wraithplate Leggings (Jandice Barov, Scholo)

Boots:
- Boots of Avoidance (BoE)
- Boots of Valor (Kirtonos the Herald, Scholo)
- Master Cannoneer Boots (Cannon Master Willey, Strat-living)
- Shalehusk Boots (Panzor the Invincible, rare in BRD)
- Eschewal Greaves (Quest reward, Orgrimmar/Teldrassil)

Ring #1:
- Drakeclaw Band of the Monkey/Stamina (Patroling Drakes, Sunken Temple)
- Don Julio's Band (AV-exalted)
- Myrmidon's Signet (BoE)
- Hardened Stone Band (BoE)
- Band of Flesh (Ramstein, Strat-UD)

Ring #2:
- Drakeclaw Band of the Monkey/Stamina (Patroling Drakes, Sunken Temple)
- Don Julio's Band (AV-exalted)
- Myrmidon's Signet (BoE)
- Hardened Stone Band (BoE)
- Band of Flesh (Ramstein, Strat-UD)

Trinket #1:
- Force of Will (General Angerforge, BRD)
- Frostwolf Insignia Rank 6 (Quest reward/Exalted AV-faction)
- Vigilance Charm (Immolthar, DM-West)
- Mark of the Chosen (Quest reward, Desolace)
- Demon's Blood (Quest reward, Blasted Lands)

Trinket #2:
- Force of Will (General Angerforge, BRD)
- Frostwolf Insignia Rank 6 (Quest reward/Exalted AV-faction)
- Vigilance Charm (Immolthar, DM-West)
- Mark of the Chosen (Quest reward, Desolace)
- Demon's Blood (Quest reward, Blasted Lands)

Weapons (Rage-capped maximum TPS):
- Alcor's Sunrazor (BoP until patch 1.9/AQ release) - 2nd Game-bis TPS weapon after TF.
- Finkle's Skinner (The beast, UBRS)
- Julie's Dagger (BoE)
- Scarlet Kris (BoE)
- Bonescraper (Baron, Strat-UD)
- Darrowspike (Quest reward, Scholo)
- Lifeforce Dirk (Quest reward, Tanaris/Sunken Temple)

Weapons (Non-rage-capped defensive tanking):
- Quel'Serrar (Quest reward, Foror's Compendium from Dire Maul book with the same name).
- Timeworn Mace (Prince Tortheldrin, DM-West)
- Bone Slicing Hatchet (Maleki the Pallid, Strat-UD)
- Hedgecutter (Guard Mol'Dar or Guard Slip-kik, DM-North)

Shields:
- Draconian Deflector (General Drakkisath, UBRS)
- The Immovable Object (AV-exalted)
- Barrier Shield (Gordok Tribute chest, DM-North)

Ranged:
- Satyr's Bow (Zevrim Thornhoof, DM-East)
- Gorewood Bow (Quest reward, EPL)
- Carapace Spine Crossbow (Nerub'enkan, Strat-UD)
- Willey's Portable Howitzer (Cannon Master Willey, Strat-living)

ENCHANTS:

Recommended enhants for each slot varies depending on play-style, role (MT, OT), speed of weapon, content being done etc but here is what I recommend in each slot:

Head:
- 100hp (Libram of Constitution)
- 1% Dodge (Libram of Protection)

Shoulders:
- 5 all resistances (Require Argent Dawn exalted)
- 5 Fire resistance

Cloak:
- 7 Fire resistance (Depends on content being done).
- 3 agi (Dodge, crit and a tiny bit of armor.
- 70 armor

Chest:
- 100hp
- 3 defence (Core Armor Kit)
- +4 all stats

Bracers:
- 9 stamina
- 3def (enchanting)

Gloves:
- 3 defence (Core Armor Kit)
- 7 agi

Legs:
- 100hp (Libram of Constitution)
- 1% Dodge (Libram of Protection)

Boots:
- 3 def (Core Armor Kit)
- 7 stamina

Weapon 1.3 speed or other dagger:
- Lifestealing (35% proc-chance on 1.3 and averages around 5-10 TPS).
- 15 agi (0,75% crit and 0,75% dodge and a tiny bit of armor. Best over-all enchant).
- 5 damage.
- Crusader (tested this extensively, the uptime is terrible for faster weapons such as Finkles of Alcors and averages a PPM of 0,4. TPS-value approximately and very roughly around 5 TPS.

Weapon 2.0 speed (Or around 2.0):
- Crusader (Around 1 PPM on Quel'Serrar) I'm using this on my Sword.
- 15 agi.
- Lifestealing (Not tested).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BONUS SECTION: AoE Tanking (pre-raid).

Helm:
- Electromagnetic Gigaflux Reactivator (Mekgineer Thermaplugg, Gnomeregan). Great for pulling a large pack and getting some solid initial aggro on them. The use-effect also puts a thorns buff on you that does 5 damage to all attackers for the next 10 minutes (The buff persists even when changing helms).

Cloak:
- Cloak of Flames (BoE).

Gloves:
- Razor Gauntlets (Alzzin the Wildshaper, DM-East).

Ring:
- Naglering (Golem Lord Argelmach, BRD).

Trinket #1:
- Chained Essence of Eranikus (Quest reward, Sunken Temple).
- Ramstein's Lightning Bolts (Ramstein the Gorger, Strat-UD).
- Hand of Justice (Emperor, BRD).

Trinket #2:
- Mark of the Chosen (Quest reward, Desolace/Maraudon). Basically constant buff of +25 all stats when aoe-tanking large packs.

Weapon:
- Ironfoe (Emperor, BRD). Lifestealing on this one. Proc rate is incredibly high and provide alot more TPS than Crusader does.
- Thrash Blade (Quest reward, Maraudon). Lifestealing here aswell.
- Flurry Axe (BoE). Lifestealing.
- Quel'Serrar (Quest reward, Diremaul book). Crusader or 15agi.

Shield:
- Force Reactive Disk (300 Engineering required to wear). Thorium shield spike.
- Skullflame Shield (BoE). Thorium shield spike.
- Crest of Retribution (Ramstein the Gorger, Strat-UD). Thorium shield spike.

This would be a great guide for feenix or maybe nost, but rage generation here doesn't go through the roof by the time the first Molten Giant hits you. You are heavily dependent on your weapon and hit to deal out some threat, so all the fast weapons are almost exclusively useful at vael. I'd suggest going for Titanic Legs / Lionheart helmet and get a ZG enchant for both for starters, grab AV +hit ring and you'd be sitting on 5% hit which is the minimum for tanking raid bosses in my opinion.
On Horde side you should go for a (semi-)slow weapon for best windfury rage generation (Ironfoe is 2nd best threat weapon ingame). No idea what works best on alliance.

When itemizing Def vs Stam, most can agree that on a bracer 9 stam > 3 def. But on boots, 3 def > 7 stam. A good number here is 3 Def = 8 stam. Therefore 1 def = 2.66 stam.

Now to my point. Chest items you have deathbone down on the list.

Enchanted Thorium Breastplate = 26 stam 9 def. = 1 50 stam/tank value.

Deathbone Chestplate = 12 stam 17 def. = 57.33 stam/tank value.

Deathbone Chestplate is a 14.66% better surviability item than Enchanted Thorium Breastplate.

Darksoul Breastplate has a value of 50.62 and should be second, with using the 3 set a VERY good starter tank set on this server due to the need for hit and is very cheap to make/buy.

Other items:

T0.5 bracer should be second bracer on list. T0.5 belt should be first on the list.

Band of Resolution is in the game.

DMC: Maestrom is an OP tanking TPS trinket.

Also you should make a section for TPS (non rage capped weapons). As this server you stay rage starved and can not spam Heroic strike, only on Vale so most fast weapons are obsolete.

Ironfoe, Persuader, Ebonhand, anything slow that has a proc will be a go to item.

Last edited:
All of the items in the original list are available on Kronos 2 whereas most of the items suggested by Cpstabber aren't available yet. There is no ZG, no T0.5, no expanded Argent Dawn quests. If you add them maybe put them with a K1 tag or something so people don't go looking for them.

why would you not include d2 set

also ironfoe or felstriker provide more tps than alcors

you can go test on undercity practice dummies

if you include windfury, alcors is extremely bad and even mass of mcgowan out tps's it

why would you not include d2 set

also ironfoe or felstriker provide more tps than alcors

you can go test on undercity practice dummies

if you include windfury, alcors is extremely bad and even mass of mcgowan out tps's it

I have very recently started playing on Kronos2 and I'm currently lvl15, thus I am not up to date with values/mechanics on Kronos-servers, nor entirely sure of what gear is available on both servers.

Ironfoe is bis on both sides for threat until you get thunderfury. If you get defense on boots instead of movespeed you absolutely fail at life as a tank. I could see you having a 2nd pair of boots with +def for brood/chrom/Nef but for everything else movespeed would be so much better.

If you get defense on boots instead of movespeed you absolutely fail at life as a tank.

Or you fail by not positioning yourself better to not let adds run by you.

The way adds shoot across the screen in some situations, ie: orcs dashing across the screen, the movement speed will not assist with this. Also most tanking when trying to move your target, even w/o movement speed, you outrun the boss/mob hitbox causing you to slow down, hit, resume movement, repeat to avoid losing threat during heavy movement.

movement = pvp/dps. 3 Def = tank. We use 3 defense so we can continue to use hit elsewhere for min def loss and best TPS.

Don't mind Varth. Mr. Stubbornpants doesn't see the value of maximizing defense in a slot to open up another for threat gear. He's definitely not in my guild btw.

Ideally, the tank would have two sets of boots. One with movespeed and one with defense. :yes:

Ironfoe is bis on both sides for threat until you get thunderfury. If you get defense on boots instead of movespeed you absolutely fail at life as a tank. I could see you having a 2nd pair of boots with +def for brood/chrom/Nef but for everything else movespeed would be so much better.

Or you fail by not positioning yourself better to not let adds run by you.

The way adds shoot across the screen in some situations, ie: orcs dashing across the screen, the movement speed will not assist with this. Also most tanking when trying to move your target, even w/o movement speed, you outrun the boss/mob hitbox causing you to slow down, hit, resume movement, repeat to avoid losing threat during heavy movement.

movement = pvp/dps. 3 Def = tank. We use 3 defense so we can continue to use hit elsewhere for min def loss and best TPS.

Don't mind Varth. Mr. Stubbornpants doesn't see the value of maximizing defense in a slot to open up another for threat gear. He's definitely not in my guild btw.

Ideally, the tank would have two sets of boots. One with movespeed and one with defense. :yes:

You are correct that movement speed absolutely deserves some consideration, but to place it on top of everything else in every single situation I would think is wrong. As an MT I never really had mobility-issues despite using def-armor kit instead of runspeed. Utilizing a good stance-dance macro to quickly use intercept can often fill this need. When tanking Chromaggus as MT it could be well worth using if you are using the hide-tactic for time-lapse, if you afford the loss of 3 def that is and can compensate. I will add runspeed to the sheet as an equal/alternative option to 3def although it seems bugged to me currently and I cant edit my first post for some reason.

When you have a BIG post you can only edit your post if you click edit, and then advance edit. From there you have to verify you are not a robot and can edit away.

When you have a BIG post you can only edit your post if you click edit, and then advance edit. From there you have to verify you are not a robot and can edit away.

I know as that is how I've been doing it so far but now I cant anymore. I only get an error saying:

"[h=3]The following errors occurred with your submission[/h]
  • The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
  • "

thanks for this storf! deserves to be a bit closer to the top I say with the close release of k3 :D

Thanks Bro. This is really going to help me when it comes time to gear up for those 40 mans.

Top Bottom