• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Information PvP Timeline and Decay Cap changes

Chero

Kronos Administrator
Dear Community,

Last month we shared our content timeline with you all, and also mentioned that we would be working on the principle of item-gating for Kronos III. This principle will apply to nearly all content, with the exception of PVP item rewards which will follow the traditional “item-version-by-patch” concept. Below we have detailed the original timeline of the PVP honor system and the accompanying rewards, along with how this implementation will work on Kronos III.

Original Timeline:
  • Patch 1.4 (5 months after launch) – PVP Honor System was introduced
  • Patch 1.5 (6 months after launch) – Warsong Gulch and Alterac Valley battlegrounds were added
  • Patch 1.6 (8 months after launch) – BWL was launched, and the stats of currently existing Rank 14 items were improved
  • Patch 1.7 (10 months after launch) – Arathi Basin was added
  • Patch 1.11 (19 months after launch) – Stats of Rank 7 – 13 items were improved. New Rank 14 items were added (e.g. Caster 1-Hand)
Kronos Timeline:
  • Server Launch – PVP Honor System, Patch 1.4 version of PVP rewards, Warsong Gulch, and Arathi Basin are all in-game
  • Blackwing Lair (6 months after launch) – No change
  • Dungeon 1/2 Patch (8 months after launch) – Stats of Rank 14 items will be improved
  • Dragons of Nightmare Patch (10 months after launch) – Stats of Rank 7 – 13 items will be improved. New Rank 14 items will be added.
All PVP items will be automatically updated at their appropriate times. The new Rank 14 items will only be available to players who are Rank 14 at the time of purchase.
The reason behind upgrading the items 2 months after our launch of Blackwing Lair is to keep the item balance on par with what would have occurred back in 2006. With the original timeline, there were only 3 months available for players to have reached Rank 14 before the items were upgraded. Rather than gating all PVP content for 5+ months and removing that aspect of the game, we believe that upgrading the items roughly 2 months after the launch of BWL will provide a comparable experience. PVP and PVE items will compete with each other in some cases until PVP items are buffed and brought above BWL quality for most classes. The decision to upgrade the rank 7 – 13 items and add the new rank 14 items prior to the launch of AQ, is to ensure that PVP items remain competitive with their PVE counterparts.
Another aspect of PvP changes we would like to announce is a rather small difference to the way rank updates are calculated. Every week players rank points are decayed by 20%, meaning that you have to continue to play in order to make it to the higher ranks. The higher the rank, the harder you will have to play eventually to keep up. Back in 2006 (WoW Wiki Reference) it was described as such:

Your weekly RP decay is 20% of your current RP total. But, if your weekly adjustment (Earning – Decay) negative, that adjustment is cut in half. Also, your weekly adjustment will never drop you down by more than 2500 pts.​
Kronos I and II, both have/had this same decay cap of 2500 rank points. This means that if you were to lose more than 2500 rank points from the decay, the cap would come into effect and you would lose only 2500. This gets more and more relevant on higher ranks, where players would decay 10,000 if they did not get a good enough standing. On Kronos III we have decided to make the decay cap more forgiving; in that, we’ll reduce the maximum amount of rank points you can lose in an update from 2500 to 1000. We’ve decided on this change in order to acknowledge that some players may never even begin attempting to rank, if they know they will not be able to play for a single week throughout the duration of their ranking period. To be clear, this change will not allow anyone to achieve rank 14 faster than normal. This change will also be applied to Kronos I.

decay-graph.png

That’s it for this week. Stay tuned as we’ll have some more information to share on Kronos III in the near future!

Yea that got me thinking, not rly worth to rank14 as caster until the buff. I mean this only concerns a few people, but still.

Edit: Not sure how many people will come for PvP now, oh well we will see.

Last edited:
level 58 pvp sets are useless
whoever decided to go that way should have thought the negative impact it will have to pvp population
really bad call

(on the bigger picture, i dont understand why you go with decisions that nulify your advantages over those other projects.....people had chosen to be here for those advantages)

Last edited:
level 58 pvp sets are useless
whoever decided to go that way should have thought the negative impact it will have to pvp population
really bad call

(on the bigger picture, i dont understand why you go with decisions that nulify your advantages over those other projects.....people had chosen to be here for those advantages)

At least the gear gets automatically upgraded so it doesn't matter when you purchase the set so can rank up earlier if that aligns better to someone's schedule. It was a real kick to the nutts having to rank and by the new versions.

Last edited:
So any healer/casters that ranks before the 1h implementation cannot get their 1 hand? What kind of stupid gated release is this?

I'm not sure I understand why you're upset. I didn't PvP too heavily on Kronos 1/2, but just so I understand...were all of the best items available at server launch (as opposed to K3 where they will not be)?

Dragons of Nightmare Patch (10 months after launch) – Stats of Rank 7 – 13 items will be improved. New Rank 14 items will be added.
Strange decision if you ask me. R7-R10 items are such a meh anyway. All in all, worse rank gear, less reasons to rank.

Ranking commitment is like 10 times higher than raiding commitment. PvP items don't deserve a nerf.

To lessen the maximum decay is a great idea though.

I'm not happy about the PvP gear schedule. I was considering going balls out on K3 and getting rank 14, but now I likely won't. It's such a massive time commitment, and the nerfed versions are just not worth it IMO.

Congrats you killed the PvP scene before the server even opened. The un-updated gear is pure dog shit. Right now as it stands the only people who will serious rank is melles going for rank 14 weapons. What a fucking shit change. And even if someone is retarded enough to rank to 14 they wont even use half of the gear tell it gets updated and then 2 months after it does get updated they just replace it with AQ gear. Fuck sakes one of the best parts of nostalrius and k2 was the flame wars and ePeen felxing PvP brought to the server. But instead you decided to go the lightshope way and kill the PvP scene straight from day one. Guess I'll make a toon casually level to 60 raid log twice a week for a couple months for 3 hours a night tell the game is boring
and quit.

Yea that got me thinking, not rly worth to rank14 as caster until the buff. I mean this only concerns a few people, but still.

Edit: Not sure how many people will come for PvP now, oh well we will see.
people will still wildly desire the reputation gear. not to mention there are people like me who play for the fun of it or those who play to show off their rank on the leaderboards.

Question: Will we be able to que via command thus increasing amount of battlegrounds or will it be normal where we walk to the npc/portal & que at the location ?

Last edited:
pvp server they say
PvP server essentially means that there are more Contested zones while a PvE server has less and is thus more restrictive on world PvP.
Both WSG & AB are available on release so you can get the rep gear, the pvp stuff is also there although the old version which is not half bad either it is just not overpowering.

If you could obtain the strongest version of honor gear on release the game would be easy as long as you get to Rank 14 as your gear would then be equal to BWL and you would be considered the top for almost an entire year even if you stopped the day you aquired it...

This is for balance and it literally makes pvp a much more even playing field.

if i had to say anything i would say they could reduce the decay a bit to accomodate the requirement for pvp players to keep at it but the current is quite fine.

now then what part is not pvp beneficial for the server in the long term ? :)

keep in mind this allows players to keep at it rather than give up on a rank once achieved its kinda like carrot & stick and the gear & set bonus is not bad either in fact its kinda like prestige having the old & new set later on to show off your achievements in the field of battle.

Last edited:
Feels like yesterday when this community was trying to help out the developers in order to make PvP more enjoyable and appealing for more people on Kronos 1 (like 2 years ago).

Of course it always took like 3 months to get an official answer on a thread with like 30 pages.

'We are going to involve the community more into changes and decision-making', they said.

I'm having multiple déjà-vus browsing through threads like this.

Feels like everytime the Kronos team has a chance to create something awesome, they blindy throw it away (PvE changes, PvP changes, server launches) because they simply don't listen to the community.

Why would you nerf PvP gear when you had Kronos 1 and 2 as benchmarks for PvP activity? Can't wait for those 45 min queues again.
Now not even the PvE players that only grind Rank 10 for their 2-set-bonus will queue up for PvP.

People on a different server already raged about those pre-nerfed sets. But then again they have like a 8k+ pop so it doesn't really matter if the PvE players queue up or not.

I was pretty active on the forums until like 1 month after the release of AQ40 on Kronos 1. There were so many enthusiastic people on here trying to help you guys out in order to make this server more enjoyable. But you hardly ever listened or replied.

Of course this is a free project and you can't expect teammembers to answer instantly, but there a threads on this forum with like 10+ pages that still didn't draw the attention of the developers.

So I guess I made the right choice to not get involved into Kronos 3 discussions since it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

What's so bad about asking the community about what they think about certain changes before yelling it out in an official announcement?
Theres a forum for a reason. If you don't have the capacity, just ask a couple of the users that been here for years to set up a poll or something.

Well I guess I'll have to queue up for BG's on multiple servers while waiting for queue pop on K3 )))

btw: Theres not a single word about Alterac Valley in the Kronos 3 timeline.

now that is just rude... if they did not listen they would not respond and if they did not listen they would not be doing this itemization & raid released schedule as it was in a very high demand back then although not possible as they had to stabilize server & solve more cases before they could gate it like this with confidence.

they cannot reply to everything either as that is literally just stepping into a trap something any developer knows... they will read it and discuss among themselves but they cannot publicize their own oppinions all the time as that could limit them or people could suddenly reffer to an oppinion they had 5 years ago asking why they changed their oppinion...

please view it from a broader perspective as the server is not only 10, 20 or 1000 players but far more then just that :)

btw: look at the timeline again and look at august 2018 ;)

This is for balance and it literally makes pvp a much more even playing field.
The nerfed r12-14 sets are probably a good thing balance wise, but it's hard to say in advance what kind of an effect it'll have on the pvp activity. The last server that used the nerfed sets was Nostalrius as Elysium was using the non-nerfed sets in the beginning (?), and it had high enough of a population to have active battlegrounds anyway, not to mention Vanilla emulation was in a fresher state for many people, thus some ranked just for the sake of it.

The r7-10 sets getting released with the original level 58 stats is terrible as far as pvp balance goes - some classes like Warlocks or Shamans simply don't have proper gear at all unless they want to raid MC for poorly itemized equipment they'll replace in 4 weeks. Sure they do make some bis pieces for pve, so what? Lack of 23 spellpower and 2% crit isn't going to make raiding Molten Core any harder, and it'd certainly boost the pvp activity as most pve enthusiasts would have to grind their way to rank 10 early on.

people will still wildly desire the reputation gear. not to mention there are people like me who play for the fun of it or those who play to show off their rank on the leaderboards.

Do people actually grind bgs solely for reputation gear? (apart from AV, cause that shit is done in a weekend or 2)

Yea fun is nice but people who take on the grind actually want to get rewarded for their time. I mean it could have a positive effect cause people queue to have fun and don't have to face premades 24/7, but then, the initial turn off is probably pretty big so many PvPers won't even bother with the server.

Polls for such important decisions would actually be very nice, just so they have an idea of what the community thinks.

Atleast upgrade items at BWL launch or first Nef kill, otherwise everybody will just wear full PvE gear for both PvE and PvP.

What's so bad about asking the community about what they think about certain changes before yelling it out in an official announcement?
Theres a forum for a reason. If you don't have the capacity, just ask a couple of the users that been here for years to set up a poll or something.
They never do it, which is a shame. Oh no, they do - they disabled world buffs in Naxx and buffed it a bit. IMO, one of the best decisions in Kronos history. It's a pity that a similar discussion didn't happen in this case.

Perhaps, the decision still can be changed, as it was with... Ony head CD? I think there was something else similar.

they added deserter debuff on queue drop
they removed nobg bonus weekend
they changed policy regarding dwarf female exploits
they adjusted silithus sand honor amounts

Couple pvp related changes what I remember in 5 minutes

they added deserter debuff on queue drop
they removed nobg bonus weekend
they changed policy regarding dwarf female exploits
they adjusted silithus sand honor amounts

Couple pvp related changes what I remember in 5 minutes

I remember how long we litterally had to beg on the forums until they removed sand farming, safe spotting and added the bg changes.
By the time they were introduced, tons of PvP players already quit the server.

Suggestion thread started 31st July 2016 https://forum.twinstar.cz/threads/future-of-kronos-1-pvp.114098/
And thats not the only thread were PvP related changes were suggested.

Safe spotting change was announced 18th March 2017 https://forum.twinstar.cz/threads/safe-spotting-in-battlegrounds.118306/

BG-command + remove of empty BG weekend was announced 4th December 2017 https://forum.twinstar.cz/threads/upcoming-pvp-related-changes.122959/

cba looking for more threads. But the same happend with sandfarming, warlock teleporting, increased BG reputation etc etc.

It simply took them way too long to react to the community. Even if they only would've tested the changes for like 2 weeks in order to see the communities reaction.

That would've been better than waiting 1 year for something to happen.

So why make the same mistake again?

How about no pvp gear rewards for the first month of launch then the gear that comes out is the upgraded version. Something like MC releases then a week later pvp gear comes out (so it does not affect the progression race).

Seriously what are you complaining about? 2p pvp r7-10 set is just too strong for pve like MC/BWL, you can't deny that. So unless you add resilience instead of something else on pvp gear, this was the only solution. Maybe releasing it earlier like 2-3 weeks in BWL would be a better choice, i dont know, but not right away.

BWL is set for september, it's like 5 months of pvp farming, getting to R8 is like no effort at all.
In K1, i was unlucky with T1 before BWL and completed with R7-8 which in a sense were far better than T1/T2 with the +20agi 2p bonus.
I should have stayed with T0/DM substitute like in retail.

Beside i can't count the number of r14 who went MIA after ranking, they were just BiS, and didn't care anymore.

Now, let's enjoy the randomness of droprate on loot and may the Giantstalker gloves drop more than once in a year this time.

Upgraded pvp set is waaaaaay too strong for MC, and for a couple of classes its bis until AQ40. Makes sense to me that it wouldn't be upgraded until after BWL.

Top Bottom