• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Question Frontal Backstab

Visuv

Authorized
I've just tested this notorious bug (on most/all private servers?), which allows for backstabbing any target infront of the rogue by simply strafing left and right while being very close to the target.

Not sure if this can be fixed at all, since it has been prevalent on many private servers up to this day?!

Fixing this would serve as a nice achievement over other p-servers.

I was under the impression this was always about (taking advantage of) your latency, rather than an actual bug/issue. Basically the server is responding as if the mob is not facing you (due to your latency) when in reality they are.

I can confirm that it can happen if you try hard enough, but in the interest of not having energy capped its not really worth it.

If you devoted enough time I'm sure you could nail it down to a practice.

I have a hunch it has to do with your character hitbox reaching just enough of idk, like a 25-30 degree angle window of the mob's rear 180 (while strafing, remember you aren't exactly facing the mob).

It is spell delay - same that lets 2 warriors charge each other. It is not a bug.

^ It's not a bug, but i cannot remember if it should be possible when we are talking blizzlike.
So can it be made impossible serverside, or do you want it to stay?
I guess it's not that important after all.

It worked the same way on retail... You people are really trying to find problems, where they don't exist.

How it worked on retail and how it should work are not the same thing.

And where I said something that contradicts it? Your post completely doesn't make sense from logical point of view.

Yes, in hypothetical scenario, the way something worked on retail didn't had to mean it was an intended way of it working. It's obvious and doesn't need to be mentioned, but once again, I haven't said something that would contradict this statement, thus your comment is an absolute nonsense and should be removed by mods to not kill gray cells of more people that could read it.

Regarding Backstab, I am pretty sure, the way it worked on retail and the way private servers emulate WoW in this aspect, is 100% compatible with, how it was meant and intended to work. The only way to be able to use Backstab is to get behind your target and wield dagger weapon in your main hand. Both conditions were obligatory on retail back in Vanilla times in order to use Backstab and same goes to modern days' private servers. Strafing over a mob with slightly delayed movement in comparison to player's movement, in order to get a small time window, when the player gets finally behind that mob and can use a Backstab, doesn't change this fact. You still need to get behind a mob and wield a dagger in your main hand to use Backstab. Everything corresponds to the tooltip of the ability.

What are your premises to think it didn't worked on retail as it should be? And what arguments/proofs you have to back those premises? Blizzard had 14 years to fix something you claim that don't work as intended, yet they haven't done it to this day. It makes me wonder about the state of your sanity.

Last edited:
As a US player, I have a pretty consistent 140ms latency on Kronos. I can get the frontal backstab to happen but it's very finicky....I might see it once every 5 mobs or so if I'm trying constantly, but as Spazztastic pointed out I find myself energy capped and not doing any damage most of the time when I could just be Sinister Striking normally with a nice sword.

I tested on Felmyst today (where I get a much lower 20ms latency), and I could not once get a frontal backstab off.

So I really think it's all about latency and the downstream effects of that.

with keyboards (or software) that allows you to rapid fire keys while holding them down its easy to pull off.
its a bug that should be addressed. low prio imo, but a bug non the less.

It is just scripted so back is whatever that is not front. It causes bugs more than this issue. for example you can run behind the mob and he can still parry/block you when running away in fear. as example when scripting back damage to player was probably taken which indeed is correct (when you take damage there is 2 sides of damage - back and whatever is in front/side - you cant get dazed if you get hit to the side for example)

Top Bottom