• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Changing my characters hairstyle

Rockmaster

Authorized
As you probably know there is no official way to change your characters appearance.
I was wondering if there is a way to change my characters hairstyle for my point of view.
As i saw a post of someone importing WOD models into vanilla so i am pretty sure a simple change of hairstyle will be a piece of cake.
If someone has a solution please only post solutions which are not banable!

Me and probably all ppl who traded a character will appreciate your answers!

From my knowledge and experience you cant dot that. Its not like WotLK where barbershop introduce that. Cause simply as i get it, hairstyle is defined in the begging when you create a character. I don't think that is any way to do cause you will have somehow find your model of you character, export it in a format that can be read from an 3D engine, then import it there and identify which ID's use, then find which ID you want to replace and re do backwards the whole procedure to pack it for the game. And do that for classic isn't an easy job, trust me, till now i have face many bugs while im porting those models.For me sounds easier if Devs here add(or have dont know to be exactly) a method from the site to change appearance with some small payment lets say. If any has more deeper knowledge in 3D model editing he can add his experience too.

Last edited:
From my knowledge and experience you cant dot that. Its not like WotLK where barbershop introduce that. Cause simply as i get it, hairstyle is defined in the begging when you create a character. I don't think that is any way to do cause you will have somehow find your model of you character, export it in a format that can be read from an 3D engine, then import it there and identify which ID's use, then find which ID you want to replace and re do backwards the whole procedure to pack it for the game. And do that for classic isn't an easy job, trust me, till now i have face many bugs while im porting those models.For me sounds easier if Devs here add(or have dont know to be exactly) a method from the site to change appearance with some small payment lets say. If any has more deeper knowledge in 3D model editing he can add his experience too.

Thanks for the info.
The devs said they might develop such a system once they have some time for that, which might take a while.

I have seen many vanilla movies in the past where ppl replaced the human modle with the undead modle for example.

Once i get home i will do some google research and will let you know what i find.

I personally thought it is just a matter of replacing file names or something like that, but you learn something new every day :)

Thanks for the info.
The devs said they might develop such a system once they have some time for that, which might take a while.

I have seen many vanilla movies in the past where ppl replaced the human modle with the undead modle for example.

Once i get home i will do some google research and will let you know what i find.

I personally thought it is just a matter of replacing file names or something like that, but you learn something new every day :)

Yeah replacing a model with other isn't so much as a hard work. Like you said replacing human model with undead. But changing specific things like hairstyle or facial hairs is something different.
And yes if you find anything will be fun to know :D .

Um, when you can replace model, then take an model, that is the same, but have different hair and replace the curent one. That should do the trick.

And if you can't, then hair must be handled as separated model and so it must have ID which you should be able to replace as you can replace the whole model.

I googled a little bit and found out that editing the game files is bannable on most realms. In most cases the warden detected it and banned the account. I guess it is the same on Kronos?

You can do it in a seperate file, always avoid to mess with game files for that reason. Here an example what i did to my Night elf druid :

WoWScrnShot_011216_010755_zpscjdopsku.jpg

WoWScrnShot_011216_010823_zpscbizycax.jpg

WoWScrnShot_011216_010952_zpsceanjcxi.jpg

WoWScrnShot_011216_011200_zpsxpiqsll1.jpg

It bugs a bit but it works. As i said you can change the model kinda easy. But trying to change hairstyles or facial it might be a huge work and don't know if it worth's the effort.

First of all nice work!
Secondly how did you do that?
Also did it change the model of all nightelfs in the game or just your character?
Could you maybe give me a quick and dirty guide on this? Just some screens and program names?
Would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also did it change the model of all nightelfs in the game or just your character?
By changing the model all night elf males got affected, but bare in mind that it bugs. Did this back in the future by having a Tauren for mage :p. Was kinda hilarious.:w00t::lol:

Could you maybe give me a quick and dirty guide on this? Just some screens and program names?
Would be greatly appreciated.
Its not that easy to start taking screenshots and post steps, since im kinda busy in RL plus time that i have free i spend to fix the errors in the WoD models, i barely log into game anymore :crying::crying:. What i did is just to swap names in the troll files and re name them to Night Elf. You need an editor to edit game files and patience to re name all those texture files to night elf, since are kinda too many. And as i said you need to different work file, dont do it in the game file cause you might got banned by warden or you might FUBAR game files and you will need to re install wte.

Thanks for the additional info.
I might just wait until the devs implement the character redesign at some point.
As chero stated we should let him surprise us. :)

Top Bottom