• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

A suggestion on leveling

I suppose a small increase wouldn't hurt much, but increasing it a lot is a bad idea. I don't think that dungeons were intended to be a viable way to level. You just go there when you need gear, which will help you level further, and it'll help a lot, actually, if your class is gear dependent like rogue or warrior.

I don't support any change from "blizzlike". Also I don't intend to rush anywhere, if I'll play this it'll be for the lost atmosphere from retail. If I want much better class design or boss encounters, faster traveling and faster leveling, plus lots of other things like toys, pet battles, transmog and shit, I can just log into retail...

What retail can't offer me anymore is a chance to be killed by a mob while leveling. Dark nights. Heavy rain...

I don't support any change from "blizzlike". Also I don't intend to rush anywhere, if I'll play this it'll be for the lost atmosphere from retail. If I want much better class design or boss encounters, faster traveling and faster leveling, plus lots of other things like toys, pet battles, transmog and shit, I can just log into retail...

What retail can't offer me anymore is a chance to be killed by a mob while leveling. Dark nights. Heavy rain...

Honestly I don't think that 2x exp in dungeons only would change the atmosphere there was/is in vanilla.

2x xp in dungeons would hardly make a difference, and you can never make a 100% blizzlike server since that would require blizzard to acknowledge that specific server or host it themselves and to follow updates while this one starts and ends with 1.12.1 so already there that the patch time has been frozen means it cannot be 100% blizzlike.

doubling dungeon experience wouldnt even equal 1.1x overall xp and quests wouldnt be affected by it ofc. but it would merely make some dungeons more desireable since being in a group reduces xp quite a bit even if you get a group bonus to xp it wont get close to the amount you would as solo.

doubling xp would make less desireable leveling dungeons that are normally skipped more desireable to do rather than quest/farming or following a guide from 1-60 it encourages players to try everything and more dungeon groups to be formed during the leveling process :wink:

i never had a hard time doing dungeons on low pop servers like rebirth so i doubt it will be an issue here, just make the xp rate for everything 1.6x that slight boost will make lvling in general less grindy and more questy

Dungeons are attractive enough as is, the gear helps leveling a LOT, and the quests are a really nice boost in XP.

This change would not stop me from playing on this server, but it would surely stop a lot of potential people and make it a LOT harder to advertise and convince others to join, since it's no longer blizzlike.

A lot of people will look at the website, notice it has non-blizzlike leveling then close the tab and forget about the server, that's why remaining blizzlike is very important should not be given up for something that "would hardly make a difference".

This server is already non-blizzlike with the 10g respecc cost cap, but that is something a lot of people are willing to forgive. Messing with the leveling rates is a lot harder to forigve, and people would label it a fun-server.

if you go to the extremes and say they becourse they capped gold for respecc at 10g then you cannot find a blizzlike server anywhere...

if you want 100% blizlike server then blizzard need's to be the host and it needs to get a new patch every now and then but vanilla servers start on 1.12.1 and then open content later on. Blizzard also made a lot of things in stealth such as fixes or additions which cannot ever be found or proven so there you have another problem and blizzard server was down once every Wednesday for checkup which it still is although it can be tested while running and only shut once a month etc.

GL finding a server that starts from beta and custom fixes every single patch and adds blizzlike vanilla patches after 1.12.1 without advancing to TBC...

the truth is you cannot make a 100% blizzlike but you can get close to it

Reactions: Zed
if you go to the extremes and say they becourse they capped gold for respecc at 10g then you cannot find a blizzlike server anywhere...

if you want 100% blizlike server then blizzard need's to be the host and it needs to get a new patch every now and then but vanilla servers start on 1.12.1 and then open content later on. Blizzard also made a lot of things in stealth such as fixes or additions which cannot ever be found or proven so there you have another problem and blizzard server was down once every Wednesday for checkup which it still is although it can be tested while running and only shut once a month etc.

GL finding a server that starts from beta and custom fixes every single patch and adds blizzlike vanilla patches after 1.12.1 without advancing to TBC...

the truth is you cannot make a 100% blizzlike but you can get close to it

I do not agree that blizzard has to host it for it be 100% blizzlike, the other points are somewhat valid though.

A 100% blizzlike 1.12.1 would have all content released and with the balance/fixes as they were in 1.12.1. What most server aim for is blizzlike (as in 1.12.1) but with gradual content release, meaning balance and such are as they were in 1.12.1 but content (raids, t0.5, AQ recipes etc. etc.) released over time instead of all at once. That is what I meant by "blizzlike".

Therefore Kronos would be 100% blizzlike BUT with gradual content release AND changed repair costs. The content release is a deviation from blizzlike which I support, the respecc cost is a deviation I can tolerate. A deviation in regards to leveling speed/rate is a deviation a lot of people wont tolerate.

Last edited:
I'm with Hagson on this one. Don't fix what it's not broken, and in case of doubt leave it as it is.

From what I gather, if the server goes up publicizing 1x outside world and 2x inside dungeons it might hinder the number of people interested in joining, on the other hand, people that do want the x2 inside dungeons will still play in the server regardless if it's 1x or 2x, so the best option is to start off as 1x.

Over time the dev team will be able to gather appropriate usage data and make an actual informed decision (not based on hypothesis) on whether they should increase dungeon experience or not. If when checking the math, 3 months into launch, they have very similar numbers of runs on each dungeon - taking into account lower numbers on higher level 50-60 dungeons due to a vast number still leveling - then it means it's balanced and should probably leave it as it is.

If however the number differentiates by a lot and/or there are very few dungeon runs done on a daily basis (just calculate the average number p/day using the total), then it needs to be acted upon. But unless the devs already have hard data in how this will affect (or not) the server life, they should leave it as it was for now.

Remember any changes will have effect on the marketing of the server, and experience rates is one of the most controversial topics that make or break a new user, a lot more than a simple re-spec cost.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind 2x exp inside dungeons, but i wouldn't mind 1x either. I always do dungeons once to complete all the quests. If it was x2 exp i might do them more often than once.

I think that doing dungeons gives you quite enough exp already, so I say make it as blizzlike as possible --- 1 X for all!

What about a command for those who want x2 exp rate. That was a good solution for my server for the first months :)

Just a suggestion

This sugestion was already discussed in another threads - Many people here, on forums, don't want any modifications to the xp rate. Even optional 1-2x rates will "break the vanilla feeling and ruin the economy and ruin the server" they say.

Fact 1: Leveling in vanilla is a pretty slow affair (a good thing in my book, though occasionally tiresome).

Fact 2: Many dungeons are a bit out of the way, and provide little in the way of xp (killing a lvl 20 elite Goblin in Deadmines gives 20 xp in vanilla, whereas killing a normal lvl 20 gives ~150). Item drops are also pretty bad: it is entirely possible to do an entire dungeon and not get a single new piece of gear.

Conclusion: It is a time loss to do dungeons. If you want to reach level 60 as quickly as possible, you are better served skipping most dungeons.

Solution: Boost the xp that dungeon mobs give by 2-5 times (for comparison, Blizzard had boosted this xp gain by ~5 times by WotLK).

Justification: This will accelerate leveling by a small amount and give more of a reason to do dungeons for the average player. I personally love 5-man content, and can do SM Cathedral all day long. However, for what seems to be a fairly large portion of the potential playerbase, capping is the primary concern.

If these people are smart, they will skip most dungeons entirely: gear is (mostly) pointless until you're gearing up for MC, and having some blues from RFD won't make you level much faster.

On the other hand, I have seen several potential players claim that they will not play unless Kronos has a strict leveling rate of 1x.

This suggestion is an attempt to give a compromise between those in favour of higher rates and those in favour of lower rates, while simultaneously "fixing a problem" with vanilla dungeons.

What say you, good people?

Im sorry but this is wrong and a bad idea in my opinion. Dungeons can be a vital part in leveling a character to 60, as are quests. Dungeons for the quest/rep/gear, then quests for the times in between those ventures. That is the true way. STAY ORIGINAL STAY VANILLA PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO 99% OF THE SUGGESTIONS IN THIS FORUM SECTION.

No. Just no.
For the love of God keep everything 1x. :mellow:

I don't disagree with you, but does the though of gaining 38 xp from killing a goblin in Deadmines rather than 19 xp really bother you that much?

Dungeons are attractive enough as is, the gear helps leveling a LOT, and the quests are a really nice boost in XP.

The effect of gear upon levelling varies widely from class to class. Mages gain perhaps the least, as they already have free healing items, so its a legitimate argument to make that mages should not do dungeons at all until the higher levels for optimal leveling. Warriors have class quests that grant great weapons, and getting good greens and blues from the AH can be more than enough to skip dungeons, especially since most drops are not even guaranteed.

The quests do give more xp than regular quests, but the fact that mobs give ~1/5 of the xp that a normal mob in the overworld gives makes doing a dungeon in and of itself a time loss, and at best is time neutral. When you factor in all the things that can go wrong with a group plus the time to get to many of these dungeons, it is overall a time loss to do dungeons. Hence, it is not a boost.

This change would not stop me from playing on this server, but it would surely stop a lot of potential people and make it a LOT harder to advertise and convince others to join, since it's no longer blizzlike.

A lot of people will look at the website, notice it has non-blizzlike leveling then close the tab and forget about the server, that's why remaining blizzlike is very important should not be given up for something that "would hardly make a difference".

I really don't see this. If Kronos lives up to the hype, there is no other vanilla server that can boast the same quality as Kronos. Kronos also has plenty of hype, so that when it goes up it will not be hard to get it to the top of rankings of private server list sites with the amount of people already aware of it.

Do you really think that the average vanilla private server player will go "Oh look, this server is leaps and bounds beyond all other servers in terms of quality, but since I gain 38 xp from killing a goblin in Deadmines instead of 19 xp I'm just going to skip this one".

Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

This server is already non-blizzlike with the 10g respecc cost cap, but that is something a lot of people are willing to forgive. Messing with the leveling rates is a lot harder to forigve, and people would label it a fun-server.

You say "people" would do this. Who are these people? How many are they? Would these people give up on Kronos to play on Valkyrie which has a non-blizzlike queing system and a predominantly Russian-speaking playerbase? Are these people going to wait for Rebirth to get back on again? Are they going to play CoreCraft?

This sounds a lot to me like the Fox News tactic of saying "Some people say that (...)", which is an inherently disingenous tactic to create talking points out of thin air.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't fix what it's not broken, and in case of doubt leave it as it is.

This is very true, and the only argument that makes me argue this as a hypothetical rather than outright asking for it as a feature.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that doing dungeons gives you quite enough exp already, so I say make it as blizzlike as possible --- 1 X for all!

So you think spending two hours to gain 15-20% of a level in a dungeon, as opposed to the 1-1.5 level you could gain in the overworld, is quite enough? If you say so, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

This sugestion was already discussed in another threads

I made the original suggestion on the reddit, and it was brought up in another thread. I though it was a different enough of a suggestion to deserve its own thread.

- Many people here, on forums, don't want any modifications to the xp rate. Even optional 1-2x rates will "break the vanilla feeling and ruin the economy and ruin the server" they say.

I already covered this in the OP:

On the other hand, I have seen several potential players claim that they will not play unless Kronos has a strict leveling rate of 1x.

This suggestion is an attempt to give a compromise between those in favour of higher rates and those in favour of lower rates, while simultaneously "fixing a problem" with vanilla dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorry but this is wrong and a bad idea in my opinion.

I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding you. Are you saying I'm factually incorrect? If so, where am I wrong? Or are you saying that you think it is a bad idea, and as such is wrong? Because that is not a logically sound argument.

Dungeons can be a vital part in leveling a character to 60, as are quests

This is a very revealing sentence. You say dungeons can be a a part of leveling, not that they are a part of leveling. This is true: it is entirely possible and almost always faster to skip dungeons entirely until you start gearing up for endgame. That is the crux of the matter, and I would like to add that it is also questionable game design to have the harder content be arguably less rewarding.

STAY ORIGINAL STAY VANILLA PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO 99% OF THE SUGGESTIONS IN THIS FORUM SECTION.

Going Caps Lock is not a good way to make your argument appear valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought there was group xp?

1 person = 100xp
2 people = 50xp each.
3 people = ~39xp each.
4 people = ~33xp each.
5 people = ~28xp each.

So in a 5 man group you get roughly 1/3 of the xp while killing 3 times as fast when you have 3 dps. So isn't the xp gain the same in that perspective?

The quests do give more xp than regular quests, but the fact that mobs give ~1/5 of the xp that a normal mob in the overworld gives makes doing a dungeon in and of itself a time loss, and at best is time neutral. When you factor in all the things that can go wrong with a group plus the time to get to many of these dungeons, it is overall a time loss to do dungeons. Hence, it is not a boost.

I addressed this in another post in another thread.
Assuming your [crowlocks] numbers about XP distribution are correct [they were later sourced and seem correct] the following approximation would be better;
Generic mob in world while alone: 100xp
Generic mob in dungeon while alone: 200xp
Generic mob in world while in group: 28xp
Generic mob in dungeon while in group: 56xp
Generic mob in dungeon while in group with double XP: 112xp
This is asuming a 5-man party kills an elite mob in the same time a soloer kills a regular mob, which is a fairly conservative assumption.

Regardless of if it's a timeloss or not (it isn't) saying it "isn't a boost" is ridiculous. It used to be 1x, now it would be 2x. How is that not a boost?

I really don't see this. If Kronos lives up to the hype, there is no other vanilla server that can boast the same quality as Kronos. Kronos also has plenty of hype, so that when it goes up it will not be hard to get it to the top of rankings of private server list sites with the amount of people already aware of it.

Do you really think that the average vanilla private server player will go "Oh look, this server is leaps and bounds beyond all other servers in terms of quality, but since I gain 38 xp from killing a goblin in Deadmines instead of 19 xp I'm just going to skip this one".

Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

When I first got into the private server scene I looked for blizzlike private servers by googling. I found a few and went to their corresponding websites to look at the features. I instantly closed all tabs where the server had an XP-, gold- or reputation rate that was anything except 1x.

So yes, I believe people will go to website, see "2x XP in dungeons", close the tab and never thing about the server again, I know I would have. And that would be a shame.

You say "people" would do this. Who are these people? How many are they? Would these people give up on Kronos to play on Valkyrie which has a non-blizzlike queing system and a predominantly Russian-speaking playerbase? Are these people going to wait for Rebirth to get back on again? Are they going to play CoreCraft?

These "people" are people like me. I can't of course give you a number, just like you can't give me a number over how many would be turned away because the XP-rate is 1x in dungeons.
And yes, I believe they would choose feenix or corecraft instead, if they were looking for a blizzlike server that.

People also have to forgive the xp-stop for those twinks. That is not blizzlike and has to do with leveling (in a way). In addition, it is a 1.12.1 server. That was not blizzlike, either!

Blizzard made mistakes with vanilla. While it was the golden age of wow for a lot of people, it was not perfect. Why commit the same errors blizzard made in the first place?

Top Bottom