• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Additional API's

Cr0wL0ck

I would like to suggest adding additional API's if possible to 1.12.1 to allow better and more advanced addons.

getting a threat api would be great, considering the strongest threat addon was KTM which was rather in-accurate even back then. it could however be upgraded if better API's existed such as http://www.wowwiki.com/API_UnitThreatSituation, http://www.wowwiki.com/API_UnitDetailedThreatSituation as an example that first came in 3.0.

I am no pro at addons in fact i am still new to the .lua coding but whith more and better API's it opens up for more/better addon posibilities for those who can.

i dont know if this is possible or a major task but it would be great if it could be done :smile:

note: i also wish that the twinhead included an addon library for players to upload and comment on how addons are ☺

as said i don't know if adding API's from later expansions is possible but if then it would be a great improvement and allow for unique twinstar addons to be made.

threat, absorb and similar are part of the api's that where first added later on and where people in vanilla made attempts to compensate for but never got close to what was possible later on when blizzard added those :)

LUA api -> client side
yes but the api needs to exist on the server side before it can be used by the client side through .lua so without the right api from the server you need to go a long way around dragging the information from other sources which often leads to inaccurate or false information. so if the api for threat and absorb monitoring where to be added you could draw that information using a new .lua on the client side which ofc doesnt exist yet but it would be possible to make then.

unless i am mistaken about that ? :/

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_API
The World of Warcraft API, or WoW API, is a set of Lua functions and facilities provided by the Blizzard WoW Client, to allow interaction with the World of Warcraft and its user interface. The list below is incomplete, and kept up to date through user contributions. See also the an automatically-generated exhaustive list of all API functions present in the latest live client.

ah so it is located in the client file :/
damn, had hoped it was possible to somehow add it from the server side :(
sad that it would be almost impossible to make a 1.12.2 patch just for the "api"s :S

thanks for enlightening me :smile:

Last edited:
http://www.wowwiki.com/API_GetGameTime

There are also functions that get information from the server. They still have to exist client side for you to call them.
The only thing that I can imagine is making additional ".xyz" chat commands and parse the answer you get.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think its a bad idea, but is it really worth the effort. Vanilla API is already pretty powerful.

i understood that before, i was just wondering if addin an API to the server side was enough but sadly as Psojed informed me, it needs to be on the client-side as well, in other words it would require a patch.

and i know that vanilla API's where quite powerful but some things where close to impossible to make without the right "api"s so less accurate addons where made until it became possible and that is why is asked/suggested if it was possible to do this :)

As it seems you missunderstood what I was trying to say :)
It might be possible by using ingame commands for it, which would not require a client side patch or change.
Like ".gm" giving you a list of GMs that are online a ".threat" could give you back the correct threat list.
Chat commands instead of methods.
I highly doubt there will be time for doing something like this though.

By adding .commands, you can invoke them inside the addons and work with the results. That allows you to bypass the client patch requirement, however it also renders your addon completely useless without this specific server command.
A good example can be SpellCritTip addon based on a command only available on Valkyrie. When the command got later reworked/disabled, the addon of course stopped working.

Top Bottom