• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Paladin AOE Grinding A Paladin

Hardly, but depending on your equipt. If you have enough mana, than yes (already from level 20 on).

I'm writing this in response to this post in another thread.

I also prefer levelling as holy, however I always pick up SoC as early as possible (usually go Consecrate -> SoC), when I level I will switch between 1-hand & shield and a two-hander depending if I am AoEing or singling out mobs.

The reason Imp SoR is useless when levelling with that specc is that when you're AoEing (using one-hander) you'll use Seal of Wisdom to keep your mana up as you use Consecrate on every available cooldown and have to heal yourself throughout the fights.

You see, in TBC you level up as prot paladin, because you use Redoubt, extra hit chance from Precision, Armor bonus from Toughness, Shield Spec, Blessing of Sanctuary (at 30+, remember this level!), damage reduction from Improved Righteous Fury and extra attacks from Reckoning. Consecration is not a talent, so you can use it too.

In Vanilla, you have to make a choice. You can either go Holy and get Consecration which is a talent, or sack it and go for the prot tree.

Choosing the correct tree is very simple. A rank 1 Blessing of Sanctuary reduces damage taken from ANY source by up to 10. That really means "you take -10 damage from anything". Let's say you take it easy and take 5 mobs at once, those usually attack at 2.00 speed. Let's say you're like level 34, you will probably take ~30 damage from your enemy. In one minute, you would take 60/2 = 30 hits from every mob, 30*5 the number of enemies = 150 and they deal 30 damage, so 150 * 30 = 4500 damage over 1 minute.
With BoS up, you take only 20 damage, so it would be 150 * 20 = 3000 damage over 1 minute. So this "stupid" blessing just saved you 1500 HP. This is a nobrainer over Consecration, and you want to get it ASAP, not at level 40. The 3% hit chance is a nobrainer aswell, so starting with Holy tree as the poster above suggests is a huge mistake. Don't do that.

At this level you have a rank 2 Consecration = 120 dmg over 8 secs. If you chaincast it, you can cast it 7 times in a minute, it costs 235 mana, so you spend 1645 mana doing it. At level 34, this is probably your whole mana pool (if not more), but enemies at your level have 1200+ HP, so they would still be alive. And first Seal of Wisdom comes at level 38, so yeah, you would do some extra damage, but you would need to spend 20 seconds refilling your mana. Just don't do that, Consecration sux balls.

You level up with dealing damage back while blocking and/or getting hit for reduced damage. Blessing of Sanctuary and Holy Shield, high armor.
With Consecration, you don't have reduction, you will need to heal yourself, but during casting you cannot dodge, parry or block (less mitigation). Your autoattacking stops, thus you regen even less from seals, and you consume your mana with heals.

Back to the prot tree. Apart from the missing 6% all damage reduction from Improved Righteous Fury, your Reckoning is also very different.
- TBC Reckoning gives you a buff that lasts 8 seconds, during which your attacks automatically generate another extra attack. You can get up to 4 extra attacks (assuming you use a 2.00 speed weapon or faster). In other words, you can get 4 extra autohits from one enemy critical.
- Vanilla Reckoning gives you ONE extra attack on your next hit, this can be stacked up to 5 times. But from one enemy critical, you get one extra autohit.
- TBC Holy Shield can have up to 8 charges and deals extra damage due to new talent.
- Vanilla Holy Shield is limited at 4 charges and base damage.
So in Vanilla, you take more damage. You will deal less damage, you will be less mana efficient with Holy Shield, and you will regen back less because you do less hits with Reckoning.

Let's have a look at TBC "AoE levelling" videos. This video shows a level 36 pally AoEing a 34 peons in Arathi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE7FI529pBE
This is how your regular levelling will look like. It's not like you come in, kill 5 mobs at the same time, and move to the next group. You still kill them one by one, the only difference is that you return damage to others you aggroed, so when you swap targets, they're ~~ at 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% and 50%.
You will still get pretty beat up, you might need to heal anyway. There is a way to prevent it, shown in this video most "AoE levellers" know very well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-3TquLnsI
First, his HP and mana. He's level 41, but his stats are pretty high. That's because he's quite well geared. Second, he takes about the same damage as the guy in the previous video, even though he's fighting mobs 6 levels higher than the previous ones. Again, it's because he's well geared. Third, he does not use Consecration. Fourth, in the first part of the video, he gets super lucky with procs. And here comes another for comparsion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClwqeKmLFY
This one is level 49. And for those wondering, the shield in the two last videos is Scarlet Commander's Aegis. As you can see, the second video has a level 39 shield (among other equipment) at level 41, while this third video uses the same shield at level 49 (and you can see he's required to heal after the fight). So if you want to keep your bars filled, you will have to keep your gear updated to your level, all the time. You will want to keep swapping shields and most likely all your gear, to keep your armor high. This video also reveals to you another important part of your levelling, the shield spike. So you need a blacksmith friend and someone lucky to drop this recipe for your usage during the levelling.

To sum it all up:
- AoE levelling at level 20 is bullshit, all you deal back is weak Ret aura. You have no mitigation spells and no regeneration seals.
- You can start AoE levelling at level 30, but only if you spec into Blessing of Sanctuary. If you spec elsewhere, you're better off with 1v1 fights, the Seal of Light will not hold you alive.
- You want to keep all your gear updated to your level, so that your damage mitigation and stats are good enough to take 5 mobs at once.
- Good Luck with all the damn procs and chances involved.

I was playing in vanilla(dont remember the version) on prot pally,and my friend was holy one.
We were AoEing tons of mobs with consecration spell.As you know prot pally takes this spell too,and since level 30 it was some kind of cheat-shit.Both of us were pulling mobs,then we drove them into one spot and consecrate em:w00t: thats all.it was smth like 8-13 mobs per pull,it is very hard to find places with much mobs in wow:yes:.So yes,prot and holy pallys could easily AoE grind mobs,but one of em should be a tank and other should make some heal.
But i think that pally just can't do stuff like this in solo.

P.S. I should stop browse this forum for some time cause it makes the pain from waiting Kronos much stronger.And i am just weak poor human.I am certanly need some professional help.:wacko:

Last edited:
I did a lot of AOE with my pally on feenix. I can't remember the spec completely, but I think it was all three trees. On this server it won't be a problem anyway as we can just switch between the specs cheaply.

Anyways, I put titanium spike on my shield, used retribution aura and concecration. I think that you have something in your prot tree that gives you higher block%. I farmed houndreds of twilight texts this way and made insane ammount of golds by selling them :)

Don't even try to compare it.
Consecration on failnix scaled with AP (wotlk nonsense). Your damage will be 1/3 of what you are used to. Some complainers from betatest can confirm that for you.

Don't even try to compare it.
Consecration on failnix scaled with AP (wotlk nonsense). Your damage will be 1/3 of what you are used to. Some complainers from betatest can confirm that for you.
I see, I didnt know that.So consecration sales with int?

Top Bottom