• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

[AQ] AhnQiraj AQ40/Naxx Boss Spell Resistance Values

Anyone interested in doing the same thing again for Naxxramas? Would really help on gear choices.

I'll start collecting some data for myself, however, more players means more accuracy.

I gathered info on all bosses and I can only say that this custom spell resistance makes some items from aq/warsong better than items like the mage/lock t3 chest, for instance. Would be very nice if those high resistances on some bosses could be changed back, please.

I gathered info on all bosses and I can only say that this custom spell resistance makes some items from aq/warsong better than items like the mage/lock t3 chest, for instance. Would be very nice if those high resistances on some bosses could be changed back, please.
Can you share your measured resistance values?

I've yet to see a 75% resist in Naxx, which tells me that there is no added resistances. This is Kronos though..... Nothing works as intended.

My observed fire resistance of bosses (boss name, resistance observed, number of fire spells cast):

Patchwerk, 117, 405
Grobbulus, 119, 237
Gluth, -, -
Thaddius, 115, 115
Anub'Rekhan, 131, 235
Grand Widow Faerlina, 124, 168
Instructor Razuvious, 126, 183
Gothik the Harvester, 129, 73
Thane Korth'azz, 117, 171
Lady Blameux, 170, 48
Highlord Mograine, 111, 127
Sir Zeliek, 109, 71
Noth the Plaguebringer, 96, 413
Heigan the Unclean, 106, 373
Loatheb, 78, 565
Sapphiron, 102, 758
Kel'Thuzad, 122, 229

Ofc the numbers will still change and on some bosses where I did not do many casts, they are not accurate enough, but you can see the trend. Mb someone share his observations, too, so we can make a sheet to get more precise results?

My numbers for shadow spells, although I haven't been able to test much due to not being able to raid much. I have numbers for KT on a different computer and will add them when I turn it on again. I will also edit this post when I get new or more accurate numbers

Patchwerk
Grobbulus
Gluth
Thaddius
Anub'Rekhan, SR: 57, Casts: 96
Grand Widow Faerlina, SR: 45, Casts: 76
Maexxna, SR: 123, Casts: 76
Instructor Razuvious
Gothik the Harvester
Thane Korth'azz
Lady Blameux
Highlord Mograine
Sir Zeliek
Noth the Plaguebringer
Heigan the Unclean
Loatheb
Sapphiron, SR: 107, Casts: 436
Kel'Thuzad, SR: 126, Casts unknown until I turn on my other computer

Last edited:
Are these numbers before or after curses applied? I'm calling bullshit on these numbers. Show me a 75% partial resist screenshot in Naxx and then maybe we have something here... After casting thousands of spells I have yet to see one.

This is what glock (the addon bazzil told us to use in order to find out resistances) delivers. I think it takes everything into account: curses, talents, gear.
So e.g. on Anub'Rekhan it's most likely 130 +-5 resistance, with curse, talent and t2,5 robe it's 130-75-10-20=25 resistance left. Even ignoring the 25 resistance left, if you equip the t3 robes as a mage / lock, you might get some spell damage and some hit, however the 20 spell pen on t2,5 make the latter the better choice for a pve robe, which makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
From what I gathered searching on this topic, all glock does is take your spell pen and add it to whatever partials you're getting from level-based resistances. So assuming curses are always up on bosses and all the locks and mages have 20-50 spell pen., then every boss is going to show the numbers you're getting. I've asked dozens of casters if they've noticed more partial resistances than usual and they all say the same thing... spell pen is useless for pve. I am struggling to get the correct answer on this and I really can't figure out a solid method of figuring out resistances, other than raiding with 0 spell pen and without curses, then casting thousands and thousands of spells. What would make this a lot easier is if the devs told us what the values actually are, but I have a feeling if they did that... that it would be embarassing for them. They have no problem telling us the armor of bosses? The only use I've seen for spell pen is in pvp, where people have buffs and occasionally wear resistance gear.

I cannot agree with this. Just try Cthun with 50-60 spell pen on gear and 10 from talents and try Cthun without any spells pen gear. The difference is remarkable.

*edit* use the addon eavesdrop for resist tracking

Last edited:
As for my numbers: we were raiding with only 2 warlocks on Anub and Faerlina and I was wearing 40 spell pen total.

@stevepelle:
I agree with you. You would need to test with 0 spell penetration to get valid numbers. As long as curses are up and you are wearing 40 spell penetration any resistance below 115 should indeed show up as 115 in Glock (because it adds up spell penetration and just calculates resistances from there).

Will check out eavesdrop.

I would even go as far as saying that spell penetration is completely broken on kronos with the reasoning being this.... All bosses should have 24 resistances from level which, according to the spell penetration tables, should give all bosses a 1% chance to resist 75% of your spell. I have NEVER seen a 75% resist on boss. Explanation? Kronos custom fun server....

Okay, after watching a couple videos of C'thun kills I've witnessed multiple 75% resists and enough various partials for it to be obvious. I apologize for being part of the problem, but I play devil's advocate in these situations because it really irritates me when rumors are spread. Players from numerous "top guilds" have told me that spell pen is useless. I guess people are doing their part in making this server Blizz-like by keeping secrets from each other? Or the general populace of the server doesn't care enough about improving their game-play?

With high spell resistances, T2.5 becomes better than T3 and many old items become viable. Crit is already difficult enough to stack without world buffs and it honestly takes a lot of the fun out of playing a mage. Stacking spell pen = even less crit = ignite falls off = gimp damage & oom. 125 resistance sounds like a more reasonable number to me, as this would require 40 spell penetration for gear to be capped as a mage. There are options in Naxx to achieve this without having to make awkward gear decisions.

If you have 2 or 3% crit more or less plays no big role for ignite uptime compared with the importance of 7 or more fire spells hitting the target within 4s, so don't worry too much about crit. Rather make sure you have 7 (better 8+) fire spells hit the target.
But you are totally right that dropping crit for spells pen makes a noticeable difference in mana usage.

Looks like there were some changes regarding boss spell resistances or the numbers glock delivered so far were just not very accurate.

^^ Indeed. I have been running Eavesdrop with no spell pen gear or talents and I haven't noticed anything unusual with partial resists. A couple 25% here and there and very rarely a 50%.

The fix was made already at 8th of nov and yesterday was the first run I "forgot" to use spell pen gear. Oh man! -.- time to reset Glock.

I'm noticing frequent partial resists again..... This is really starting to drive me crazy. Can the devs please just tell us what the bosses stats are? It's really not fair to the players when you alter these stats without so much as letting us know. You tell us to use addons to keep track of it, but how is that possible when the stats are being changed while we're in the process of gathering the data required to make an accurate conclusion? This is absolutely ridiculous. Fucking god damn amateurs...

Top Bottom