• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Are Raids scripted properly ?

Dareptor

So... some of you guys might have heared all the trouble another major vanilla server had with the raid scirpts. How are Raids on Kronos so far ? Time is running and the release date comes very close. Are special tests for MC / Onyxia needed, or are the bugs fixed there ? This is a major concern, because Nostalrius bosses are / were (Dunno about the current state) extremy buggy and every one exploited them - Ragnaros didn't know what to do once no one was in meele range. You kill all progression if this is the case on Kronos too. Will Raids be finished on release and could a dev give us some insight, if you they test them intern too (Bringing 40 People to raid during the beta isn't really that easy and raid tests are propably best done with a small team of experienced devs with god powers to specifically test the mechanics which are buggy).

I've seen a video some time ago / might have been a livestream too were Majordomus didn't despawn after summoning rag or there were two rags at the same time - things like that should be the Nr.1 priority at the moment... do we need more time or will the release be fine ? Nostalrius isn't something to worry about anymore in my opinion. They clearly showed that they are no threat and the last thing we want is a rushed release like they have at the moment...

MC and both world bosses were done during the beta and afaik they are all fine. Not sure if Ony was done as well.

If you're truly interested, you can get on the bugReport subforum and search for the specific encounters you would like to see. Many of them have bugs reported and you can actually see the development process behind the fights.

Is it a real indication of the state of the fights? Nope, but at least we have this instead of an invisible bug report where we have no idea what's working and what's broken.

i wish i could answer your question, but i only tried Onyx whit 19 full t3 geared ppl. it whiped the shit out of us, i think that was bacuse some ppl did'nt know tactics. but i've been pvping abit and alot of duels whit a friend, that was alot of fun and the game where smooth and Wsg worked perfect.

That Onyx raid.. Onyxia have some animation problems but she do, what she's suposed to do. In third phase, we had problems with threat. It's now point of discussion. Chero says, that she acts as she should in phase 3. I'm not convinced about that, but we'll see when we try her with 40 ppl in rare/MC gear.

That Onyx raid.. Onyxia have some animation problems but she do, what she's suposed to do. In third phase, we had problems with threat. It's now point of discussion. Chero says, that she acts as she should in phase 3. I'm not convinced about that, but we'll see when we try her with 40 ppl in rare/MC gear.

Glad someone else pointed this out.

I mentioned something during the stress test, and was assured the agro was working as well by management, and also flamed to high holy shit for mentioning it in world(go figure). I personally know not much about it, but one of the other tanks seemed to think it was a little weird. ;) we will see. Hopefully the animations are fixed!

Excited to try this server out!

Having raided Onyxia every week for well over a year and tanked it in my guild back in 2005-2006, I can assure you that the threat wipe is correct for phase 2-3 (the fireballs during phase 2 seem to be threat wipers, as many sites have said). That is why there is absolutely no DPS in the beginning of phase 3 when she lands so the tank can get aggro back. If you don't, the potential for a wipe is almost absolute.

There were many times where over-excited DPS killed all of us because they didn't wait for the tank.

I did ony during the stress test and it was definitely something wierd/buggy about it. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

I stand behind Cyndans comment. I raided Onyxia every week from 2005 till 2006 and experienced the same scenario.
We had to instruct the DPS that could dot in the 2nd phase to time the DOTs with the phase transition and for everyone to stop DPSing when the phase transition started. We also gave the tank a bit of time for him to pick Onyxia when she landed and build enough aggro. In some rare occasions we had healers pulling aggro if they were not careful.
So as far as my experience tells between phase 2 and 3 there was indeed a aggro reset.

I stand behind Cyndans comment. I raided Onyxia every week from 2005 till 2006 and experienced the same scenario.
We had to instruct the DPS that could dot in the 2nd phase to time the DOTs with the phase transition and for everyone to stop DPSing when the phase transition started. We also gave the tank a bit of time for him to pick Onyxia when she landed and build enough aggro. In some rare occasions we had healers pulling aggro if they were not careful.
So as far as my experience tells between phase 2 and 3 there was indeed a aggro reset.

We used the exact same tactics, due to aggro wipe on phase changes.

i too stand behind Cyndans comment. i even remember one of our tank's dual wield two 1 handed wepons, just to try and gain more threat.

I hope that counts for all major bosses, even dungeons - Rivendare, Gandling, Thaurissan etc. All endgame content needs to be in proper shape and that counts for pre-60 dungeons as well, to a lesser degree.

And like most of us, i can get along with some minor bugs/oddities, but not if they make the fight a joke. The game is easy enough to begin with.

TBH 2 maybe 3? competent guilds tested MC and other bosses during that other major vanilla servers Beta. Just b/c you have done it doesnt mean bugs wont pop up.

I don't support any threat wipe theory. On retail when we fought Onyxia we did only white/wands damage. Tank had to build huge aggro in phase 1 just to compensate the aggro raid did on phase 2.
I remember the guild that killed Onyxia only in 5 players. Warrior tank, druid and priest healer, mage and hunter. Most of the damage from phase 2 was done by the hunter because he could Feigh Death and clear his threat. Mage was dealing with whelps and also boss. But only Blizzard knows the true mechanic.

A fun thing I encountered during a Stratholme UD run on the rival server was "Ramstein the Gorger" spamming "DU HAST!!". #blizzlike

A fun thing I encountered during a Stratholme UD run on the rival server was "Ramstein the Gorger" spamming "DU HAST!!". #blizzlike

I think it's funny : ) It's supposed to make you smile and not cry about #blizzlike.

Well, our problem was, that in phase 3, only tank (full T3 + thunderfurry), 2 healers and me (rogue) survived. Yet still, onyxia switched from tank to healers when she used wing buffet or fear. I understand, that her aggro should be a bit weird, but there is no way, that 2 Healers can overaggro T3 tank with TF + full T3 rogue. If anyone had potential to overaggro, then it was me, not healers.

Well, our problem was, that in phase 3, only tank (full T3 + thunderfurry), 2 healers and me (rogue) survived. Yet still, onyxia switched from tank to healers when she used wing buffet or fear. I understand, that her aggro should be a bit weird, but there is no way, that 2 Healers can overaggro T3 tank with TF + full T3 rogue. If anyone had potential to overaggro, then it was me, not healers.

Aleris, that kind of scenario is probable. I remember some situations when, at 60, we lost plenty of raid members only to have a few left in phase 3 (she was deep breathing more :tongue:). In this case we were reduced to a few healers and DPSers and it was possible for healers to be in the top of the threat list and be the ones targeted by Onyxia when the tank was feared and in some cases pulling aggro off the tank.
This is also normal in Broodlord when he uses his Knock Away. In the case of Broolord, as far as I remember, Knock Away reduced threat by 50% threat while Onyxias Knock Away is 25%.
If I am not mistaken you also required a bigger % of threat if you are ranged to draw aggro compared to melee. However do not forget that priests do not have any mechanism to permanently reduce threat. Fade is just temporary. Only Druids (via cat form) and Shamans can dump some threat while rogues, by default, produce less threat and have mechanisms to clear threat.

All in all I remember situations where healers could indeed be targeted by Ony when the tank was feared. I am, since I did not do Onyxia in this server, sure if things are 100% on spot. I can only share my experience from raiding in vanilla wow.

One last thing: could we please have every week a different probability and frequency for Deep Breaths? That will make Onyxia very realistic while bringing tearful players to the forum :w00t: (yes I am taking the piss)

Last edited:
Top Bottom