• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Priest Big's Discipline Priest PvP Guide

drakesdruid

Authorized
Hi Mates. Never wrote a guide before but since this part of the forum is slacking then might as well.

WHAT THIS GUIDE WILL CONTAIN:
1. Specs
2. Recommended stats / enchants
3. Easy to get gear
4. Keybinds
5. Downranking spells
6. Macros / Addons
What you should be doing in WSG

1. Specs
So there are many "viable" specs to pvp as, depending on how you play.

Personally this is the one I use
http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_5_85c232133525101235501002x

but especially in your Holy tree, many other specs will work just as nicely, but make sure you spec into holy nova.

2. Recommended Stats / Enchants

In PvE, you will see many players with gear that just has +55 healing, definitely not recommended in PvP as disc.

When I choose my gear, I mostly look for

Intellect > Stamina > +healing > + mp5 > Spirit

Intellect is crucial as a Discipline priest. Hunters and priests will drain you all the time, and you'll also need enough mana to spam dispel. I don't recommend having below a 5.5k mana pool in PvP

Stamina, obviously because you want to survive :D. You're going to be focused, a lot.

+ healing for obvious reasons, but again stacking +healing is useless when you have no mana to heal :D

mp5 and spirit are really good to have, but are just generally less important since you get full mana per death.

ENCHANTS:
Depends on what you lack most. If your mana pool is low I recommend getting intellect / + mana enchants but if you're above 6k you can move on to stamina.

Same goes with weapon enchant, if you think your mana is good enough to get +healing then go for it, but +22int is ideal.

ALSO MINOR SPEED TO BOOTS.
3. Easy to get Gear

One thing you should know is you don't need full T2 to PvP as a disc priest

D2 is really nice to have, but D1 can work out as well because of the set bonuses, also Lord Roccor shoulders and the robe from Baron in Stratholme can be good alternatives.

Glowing Brightwood Staff is also perhaps one of the most underrated weapons in the game, and Jeweled Amulet of Cainwyn is a nice neck, both can be picked up from the AH and both give fairly nice intellect / stamina.

As for trinkets, I personally stick with PvP trinkets such as Insignia of the Horde and Linken's Boomerang / Tidal Charm, but if you're a slacker you can pick up the DM trinket instead (pick it up at the Auction House for like 30g)

As for rings / cape - you can get honored with your WSG faction and can pick up fairly decent ones at the vendor, or do some PVE and pick up Cloak of Cosmos, Bloodclot band etc.

And if you're a horde (not sure if you can get this as Alliance)
you can pickup a +6int +3 stamina wand called Nature's Breath from an easy quest at Hinterlands.
4. Keybinds

Oh god, yah here it is, keybinds, you may believe what you have is good enough, so you can scroll down but I'll also be explaining what spells are good to have on easy binds.

BIND.YOUR.GOD.DAMN.S.KEY

I can't stress enough how S key is pretty much the easiest bind to hit. :D

anyway

You should have around 5-10 binds saved just for heals (including renew etc)
I recommend putting Flash Heals / Mana burn / Psychic Scream / Inner Focus / Holy Novas / DISPELS / Shield / Dots / Racials / Mind vision / Mind control / Renew

Those will be your mainspells, these are the binds that I prefer

zrS86PT.jpg

Again I won't tell you which binds to use, whatever feels right for you.. except S. Bind it.

5. Downranking Spells

Yes, this is crucial, and no you don't just downrank heals.
I'll list them from most important downranks to least (imo)

Holy Nova - Put rank 1 Holy Nova on your Bars, whenever there's a rogue around you can just spam it and no harm.

Shadow Word Pain - you can put rank 1 dots on warriors to put them in combat, on rogues so they can't stealth, or even on literally anything to force a dispel (Savior)

Heals - you don't want to go OOM, and even if you're low this will give you some alternatives, I have Flash heal rank 4 and 7, Heal rank 2 and 4, and Greater Heal on my bars.

Psychic Scream - although it's not the best fear it'll save you when you're oom and 1-2 players are on you, rank 1 costs literally 1% mana

Mana burn - when a healer is low on mana, you can keep him low without using much mana :D

6. Macros / Addons

I'm not a big macro/addon person, but I'll give you the basics.

Macros

/script CastSpellByName("Dispel Magic(Rank 2)" ,1)

this is pretty much your Self-Cleanse macro, you can use it to dispel yourself but not change your current target.

I believe this is the only macro I can't live without :D If people have any questions about my smaller macros you can pst me ingame

Addons

Again I'm not a big addon person, but what addons I do use in pvp are

CoolDownCount - displays on your bars the amount of time left until a CD is up
Improved Error Frame - get rid of those annoying popups
NECB - Natur Enemy Cast Bar is a very buggy castbar.
sRaidFrames Improved - nice raid frames that also show a fade when targets are more than 40yds away

Again that's just what I use, there are many other helpful addons.

7. What you should be doing in WSG

There are many many things you should be doing in WSG as a Discipline priest.

Some of the main things would be

1. MIND VISION - if someone took your flag. /tar them and cast mind vision and you can see their exact location. This can also work if you have the flag and are kiting the offense, or if you're looking for a specific person, possibilities are endless but you should be using this every single game.

2. Dispelling - no healing is not all you do

3. Peeling - as a Disc priest, there are many ways to peel targets off your flag carrier. You can fear large groups of players, throw nades at them, use Magic dust, and don't forget mind control. If a warrior is on your FC, instead of Spamming heals you can peel him off easily by Mcing him all the way to Africa. You can also use Mind Control to MC people off balconies, roofs, graveyards, and pretty much anywhere that people jump from.

4. Picking flags fast - this is for any class, but a reason why keybinds are needed is because you need to be able to click flags on the ground ASAP , whether it be returning flags or taking them from your dead flag carrier's body.

5. Most importantly, Follow tactics and communicate with your team - You can't be in Africa as a Disc priest, you need to be supporting your team nonstop, you need to tell them where the EFC is ( mind vision ) and you need to stay with your group, Discs are easy to take down or to CC for many classes.

Oh well I can't think of much else, writing this late at night :D If anyone has a question can just leave a post here or whisper me ingame I probably left a lot of things out. If I'm not on just look for Pibie / Akaderp / Igor all are probably better than me but akaderp is pidaras :SSSS

- - - Updated - - -

PS chiken :bandana::bandana::bandana:

Imo more then 10pts in holy are a waste. rather put the rest into shadow for flay or even silence if your mana pool is high enought so you can drop 10% more mana.
With 11pts in shadow you are at least able to kill something and also slow + blackout ofc

Speccing into blackout is definitely good but holy nova > mind flay considering hemo rogues do more damage than any other class atm and mind flay is short range

also you can kill rogues and warrs with holy nova 1v1, but mind flay meh

AFTER FURTHER INVESTIGATION SPECCING INTO MIND FLAY IS A BRAINDEAD CHOICE DONT DO ET.

Also silence you can get if 22 points in shadow... if you do that you're pretty much a shadow priest instead of disc. really not worth it at all, at most put 5 points in shadow.

Last edited:
Maybe flay/silence does not fit your playstyle, but its far from beeing useless or a no go.
You got your opinion and I got mine. Been playing priest for quite a while and I wouldn*t miss offensive non-holy spells.
Upside: your offensive spells are a different school then your defensive, you rape casters/healers, you actually deal dmg
Downside: You give up some Disc talents, you have no AoE spell

Holy nova vs. Warriors/Rogues.. yeah right. That spells costs a shitload of mana with low dmg. I'd rather bleed them dry with a few flays forcing them to pummel/kick and then just simply heal me up again.
Ofc it all depends on playstyle, but especially as undead blackout at least is a must. 10% stun chance on first hit (or consider running arround spamming ToW) is crazy.

Holy nova vs. Warriors/Rogues.. yeah right. That spells costs a shitload of mana with low dmg. I'd rather bleed them dry with a few flays forcing them to pummel/kick and then just simply heal me up again.
Ofc it all depends on playstyle, but especially as undead blackout at least is a must. 10% stun chance on first hit (or consider running arround spamming ToW) is crazy.

mind flay has 20 yd range, barely does any damage, and its casted

compared to holy nova which does 400dmg heals 300 and does 550 crits healing 350?
not to mention R1 gets people out of stealth has saved my ass many times considering ratbad rogues carried by gear can kill me in 1 stunlock despite PW shield, inner fire and fort.

compared to holy nova which does 400dmg heals 300 and does 550 crits healing 350?

Since when does holy nova deal more damage then AE?
Just did some math on it. You need arrounf 1,4k spelldamage for that.

181-210 damage, reveicing arround 14% of your spelldamage you need to make up for 190 at least which goes arround 190/0.14=1350~

Am I that maggot atm or is this spell broken? Would even say 14% is way too high scaling considering it also heals. CoC for instance gets a 5% penalty for its slow going arround 12.58~% of spelldamage coefficiency

AAAANND edit again... according to this here it should work fine https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=384#issues

Last edited:
I sent you my calculations on Holy Nova via PM :)
That spells costs 675 mana (with 10% reduced costs for instants) and still does very low damage/heal.
Since its a T3 talent you can still get nova and use it to unstealth rogues (like you mentioned).
I dont see any reasong why this here wouldnt work as much as your specc with PI
http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11215875_5_85c232130524d230501l5023201i

holy reach is nice for wsg, and PI is for my team, also inner focus holy nova can be a life saver

why would i be spamming mind flay when i have a team to heal / anyone with a brain can walk out of the 20yd range

also you're missing out on 5% crit and 2% mana + armor bonus and spirit buff for... really imp SW pain?

but in all seriousness smite spamming does more damage than mind flay, not really any point speccing into it

Last edited:
Geting counters into smite also counters your heals thats the whole point. You can put high pressure on targets without risking to get your spell school locked.
Ofc you are not supposed to nuke targets to death, but its good to know you can defend yourself if you have to.
imp. SW:p is kind of the only reasonable filler to get to T3...

Geting counters into smite also counters your heals thats the whole point. You can put high pressure on targets without risking to get your spell school locked.
Ofc you are not supposed to nuke targets to death, but its good to know you can defend yourself if you have to.
imp. SW:p is kind of the only reasonable filler to get to T3...

i dont get globaled am too pro

Cause its no shadow build.
Mental Agility is a really important talent to safe mana. Blessed Recovery is useful, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Silence and Mental Agility are stronger.

as a support disc priest / FC id never run that spec) without holy nova any geared rogue will rape your shits and nothing in the shadow tree is really worth it at all unless you plan on 1v1ing mages your entire priest career)

in all my prems ive found to be more useful healing/supporting and fcing, if i wanted to focus on peeling / dpsing which i can still do in my spec id just play wlock) PS dont underestimate PI smite

Last edited:
Top Bottom