• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Priest Blackout and Shadow Reach

godinabox

I played Vanilla at release for about 2 years (like I stopped before even 1.12) and I just found Kronos and made a priest. Looking at the vanilla priest builds posted online I was surprised to see noone picking up blackout or shadow reach in their builds for pvp/lvling shadow. I thought that spriests treated those 2 like part of the bread and butter always back then. I know some stuff that was cookie cutter in vanilla has since fallen out of vogue as people developed a deeper understanding of game mechanics but anyone have thoughts on these talents? yay? nay?

also read some random thing saying 5/5 shadow focus was a waste because of a soft cap on resist(?)

thanks

It's good for pvp and bad for leveling, because you should maximize your damage/mana coefficient and mana regen. If I was to level a priest, I'd go for sometihng like this, getting wand specialization after spirit tap and maybe dropping it later on. BTW smite priest (go for disc talents after taking all in that build or whatever you like) is not so bad for leveling and is good for healing in dungeons. I have had a smite priest in my group that did better than other damage dealers in similar gear, it's subpar only in raid/pvp.

Last edited:
You only ever need 3/5 Shadow Focus unless you're end-game raiding as a Shadow Priest. 3/5 will cover the 6% hit cap in any PvP build and while leveling it will make it so your spells hit on equal level mobs (yellow mobs) almost always.

Honestly...I have both 5/5 Blackout and 3/3 Shadow Reach in my leveling build, and I'll never look back. This is simply because Kronos is a PvP server and you're going to run into some world PvP while leveling. If you think you can just avoid that...well then you haven't gotten to STV yet lol. I also have 4/5 Spirit Tap because 80% chance seems to proc plenty often. I even leveled with 3/5 Tap for about 20 levels and noticed little downtime, as 60% chance is still good.

While solo questing...I open with Mind Blast (free cast cause no aggro yet) then immediately start back pedaling. While back pedaling I apply my instants...SWP, VE if I need it (I don't bother if my health is fine), then get 2 MF's off and wand till dead. 10% of the time I get Blackout procs mixed throughout...which allows me another full MF. I very rarely need to bubble or even fear the mob(s) off me, so that's mana saved there. Rank 3 MF and on starts to really out damage your wands unless you get really lucky on the AH with some of the blue BoE wands. It was at this point that I started to wand less and less and only if I felt I needed to save mana.

The game is 12 years old. I min/maxed during retail. This time around I favored survival and utility and not only is it tons more fun...but I don't feel like I ever die. I have no issues with mana so long as I'm not over pulling.

Last edited:
You only ever need 3/5 Shadow Focus unless you're end-game raiding as a Shadow Priest. 3/5 will cover the 6% hit cap in any PvP build and while leveling it will make it so your spells hit on equal level mobs (yellow mobs) almost always.

Honestly...I have both 5/5 Blackout and 3/3 Shadow Reach in my leveling build, and I'll never look back. This is simply because Kronos is a PvP server and you're going to run into some world PvP while leveling. If you think you can just avoid that...well then you haven't gotten to STV yet lol. I also have 4/5 Spirit Tap because 80% chance seems to proc plenty often. I even leveled with 3/5 Tap for about 20 levels and noticed little downtime, as 60% chance is still good.

While solo questing...I open with Mind Blast (free cast cause no aggro yet) then immediately start back pedaling. While back pedaling I apply my instants...SWP, VE if I need it (I don't bother if my health is fine), then get 2 MF's off and wand till dead. 10% of the time I get Blackout procs mixed throughout...which allows me another full MF. I very rarely need to bubble or even fear the mob(s) off me, so that's mana saved there. Rank 3 MF and on starts to really out damage your wands unless you get really lucky on the AH with some of the blue BoE wands. It was at this point that I started to wand less and less and only if I felt I needed to save mana.

The game is 12 years old. I min/maxed during retail. This time around I favored survival and utility and not only is it tons more fun...but I don't feel like I ever die. I have no issues with mana so long as I'm not over pulling.

I find that my 2nd MF doesn't finish before I take a hit. Do you pws or am I missing something about how to combo rotation?

I find that my 2nd MF doesn't finish before I take a hit. Do you pws or am I missing something about how to combo rotation?

As long as I'm back pedaling after the Mind Blast pull, and if I skip applying VE, then I typically get 2 Mind Flay's in before needing to wand. Sometimes it'll get clipped if the mob simply has a faster run speed, or server lag. But truthfully you don't really need to do 2 anyway, wanding does enough damage as long as your wand isn't horribly behind in level.

Top Bottom