• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Mage Celestial Power quest guide

gotmilk0112

Another short guide for the other important Mage quest. This one is for the Celestial Orb, one of the most useful quest items you'll get as a Mage.

HJylQqs.png

I don't think it can be soloed, due to the mob in question being immune to slows/snares and hitting very hard, but I'd imagine with some help from a couple of friends, it's easy enough. It can also be done during an Uldaman run, as it's only 2-3 extra trash pulls and just off to the side of the 'main' route through the instance.

Anywho, the quest chain starts here:

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=1953

Requires level 35, another breadcrumb quest to send you out to Tabetha. She will first send you to the southern part of Desolace, to kill the Burning Blade warlock mobs for a quest item:

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=1954

After that, the next quest has her summon an elite demon for you to kill. Very easy if you're Frost, just kite it around like you would any other elite. The next quest will have you heading to Uldaman to kill the Obsidian Sentinel. Lucky for us, this mob is just inside the side-door entrance of Uldaman. Like literally, you zone in, open the door, and there he is.

(If you don't know where the side entrance to Uldaman is, it's right here: http://i.imgur.com/KTLAgT2.jpg There should be a cave with lots of elite troggs outside it. The side entrance is just inside the cave.)

Unfortunately, he is completely immune to all slow/root effects, so he cannot be soloed. (at least, not until 60 and very good gear) He also spawns adds at 80%, 60%, and 40% health IIRC. You'll want to bring along at least two friends to help, preferably ones that are capable of healing. Once you have help though, it's super easy. Kill him, loot the quest item, and head back to Tabetha.

The last quest is really easy, at least, it is on Kronos.

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?quest=1957

The Wowhead comments talk about how the mobs come in waves, but when I did it, they just spawned 1 at a time, spawning every 20-25 seconds or so. Super easy. However, if you didn't kill them, they would eventually pile up. They do grant EXP, although not much, and I found it pretty hard to AoE them effectively.

Once you kill 12 of them, head back inside and talk to Tabetha, and you'll get the next quest, which is just a "pick your reward" thing. I cannot stress this enough though:

DO NOT PICK THE STAFF!!
DO NOT PICK THE STAFF!!
DO NOT PICK THE STAFF!!
DO NOT PICK THE STAFF!!

The orb is so much better! Why? Well, for starters, the staff is easily replaced by Zum'Rah's Vexing Cane (which is much better IMO, due to the stamina), but the bigger reason is that the Celestial Orb remains useful throughout the rest of your life as a Mage, because of that sweet mana restore on it!

The 400-1200 mana restore does have a 30 minute CD, yes, but it does not share cooldown with potion, or mana gem, or anything else. So even when you're raiding AQ/Naxx, you can equip the orb before you start combat, use the mana restore once you need it and then switch to your regular offhand. It's like having a 5th mana gem. Incredibly more useful than the staff.

Last edited:
Great guide, but I wouldn't bother with the orb just for the sake of the mana restore (not to mention waiting 30 seconds after equipping just to even use it).

Also I highly recommend grabbing a couple Nature Protection Potions off the AH for the final quest where you kill the elementals. Negates their shock spam completely.

Great guide, but I wouldn't bother with the orb just for the sake of the mana restore (not to mention waiting 30 seconds after equipping just to even use it).
That's why you equip it before combat, silly. Like in a raid, you equip it before a boss, then once you're in combat and used some mana, you use it and then switch to your normal off-hand.

The staff is really dumb because you can get Zum'Rah's Vexing Cane which is much better, whereas there is no other off-hand in the game that has a mana restore on-use ability. The orb will remain useful throughout your entire life as a mage, whereas the staff will be replaced by level 44-45. That's why you choose the orb.

how about alliance?
This is for Alliance.

The quest is the same for both sides anyway, as far as I know.

Is it worth the damage loss though? Keeping a meh offhand equipped until I need it (assuming I even have a 1-hander), then swapping doesn't seem like it'd be worth the potential loss in dps. I've never heard of any raiding mage doing this before.

Also while the Vexing Cane is indeed slightly better, it's incredibly coveted by every caster and healer, and I don't really desire farming a low level dungeon for a weapon. I'd say it comes down to personal preference.

Is it worth the damage loss though? Keeping a meh offhand equipped until I need it (assuming I even have a 1-hander), then swapping doesn't seem like it'd be worth the potential loss in dps. I've never heard of any raiding mage doing this before.

It's not that much of a spell power loss, even compared to MC/BWL offhands. And you'll only have it equipped for maybe 20 seconds before using it and switching to your main offhand. So, oh no, those first 7-8 frostbolts will have 10-20 less spelldamage on them. Such a huge dps loss! :rolleyes2:

I mean, even the highest spell damage offhand in the game has 33 spell damage on it, and this offhand has 13. So at most, you'll be down 20 spell damage for the first 20 seconds of a fight. That's really not any significant DPS loss at all.

Also while the Vexing Cane is indeed slightly better, it's incredibly coveted by every caster and healer, and I don't really desire farming a low level dungeon for a weapon. I'd say it comes down to personal preference.

So make your own group and don't invite any other casters, or just reserve it.

The vexing cane is just one example though. The point I'm making is that the staff is easily replaced; the offhand is not.

Last edited:
About the spell damage loss:

The maximum ammount of spell damage you have to sacrifice here is 27 for the fire Av tome. Now let's assume the mana regen is worth 3 fireballs, that are 3*27 spell damage loss, which are 81 spelldamage non crit.
Now let's assume two mages with similar gear (e.g. full t2 or bwl bis) except one has the orb and one doesn't cast the same ammount of spells, the one with orb will be able to cast roughly 3 more fireballs, which is at least 4k damage, while the other mage is oom or has to wait for mana reg cds. So in the oom scenario the orb is definately better.

Top Bottom