• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Change made to buff-cap

Bazzil

Buff cap will be implemented
In vanilla it was possible for players to have up to 32 buffs on them at the same time. This is very unlikely to ever happen unless the player is going out of his way to gain as many buffs as possible. As you may or may not know, there are a few raiding guilds on Kronos to whom this is a desired approach to raiding. While the Kronos team don't mind such an approach, it is obviously neccesary that min/maxing is done within the constraints of what is blizzlike.

This leads us to the point of this announcement. The standard UI only allows you to see 16 buffs, but several addons enable you to see all 32 buffs. However, it has come to our attention that the 32-buff cap was not implemented, meaning that a 33rd buff might not be visible, but it would still provide its bonus to the player. From the next live update, this bug will be gone, and a 33rd buff will now replace one of the existing buffs.
Similar to debuffs, certain buffs will have higher priority than others, so that for example Flasks and Shapeshift forms never can be replaced by another buff. However most buffs are not protected, so it is recommended to keep a reasonable distance to the cap, so for example Renew don't replace things like Power Word: Fortitude all of a sudden.

You can check the sources behind this 32-buff cap by opening the spoiler.

[1] Elitist Jerks forum - 2 Aug 2006
For the last two weeks in a row on Maexxna our guild has had problems with titan flasks being pushed off the main tank during the fight. Since I am the main tank this has been especially vexing because I am deliberately stacking as many buffs as possible in order to ensure a kill on our first attempt. After it happend last week I started removing as many un-needed buffs as possible (by default I always got rid of things like spirit or arcane intellect but I also started to remove others like blessing of might and so forth.)

[2] World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.12.0 - 22 Aug 2006 == Patchnote
Flasks and player buffs should now be behaving according to the priority system. This means flasks should no longer be the first buff erased when a player exceeds the current 32 buff limit. The general buff priority philosophy is: Flasks, Stances and Shapeshifts > All other Buffs.

[3] Frankenraid.net - 21 Sep 2006
Because up to half the buffs on a player are invisible, it's not always easy to tell when you are approaching the cap, either, and of course short buffs like renew, rejuvenation, and power word: shield can't be easily skipped and are hard to plan ahead for.

[4] Wowwiki Patch 1.12.1 - 26 Sep 2006 == Patchnote
Most enchantments on items are no longer counted against the maximum limit of effects a player can have on them, so it should be much harder for a player to exceed their max limit on effects and have one be removed involuntarily.

[5] Mage at Kel'Thuzad - 31 Oct 2006
The video upload is from 2012, but this source confirms that the video is from 2006.
8:09 ::::: 26 active buffs (not counting weapon oil)

What these 5 sources show us:

1. Up to 32 buffs can be active on a player.
2. There is a priority system for buffs.
3. Buffs that are invisible may still count towards the cap, while other invisible buffs (also known as auras) don't count towards the cap.
4. We are able to see that a player can have 26 visible buffs on him. So the amount of invisible buffs are less than or equal to 6 for this player. As it is uncertain whether the mage had 6 invisible buffs (preventing him from gaining more) or 0 (allowing him to gain 6 more buffs) and because there is no way to investigate this, Kronos have decided that "invisible" buffs (or auras as they are also called) will simply not count toward the 32-buff limit.

Last edited:
so will this mean stances will count towards buffcap now? pretty sure they didnt before

On feenix there was this annoying thing when being buffcapped you couldnt change stance as warrior.

Also will you post prio list? while ur at it post prio list for debuffs aswell)

Last edited:
Only auras which gives a visible buff-icon are counted towards the cap. Therefore warrior stances will not count towards the cap.

Edit: warrior stances (protected) count towards the buff-cap to avoid game mechanics bugging out.

Last edited:
Update: Some invisible buffs count towards the buff-cap to avoid game mechanics bugging out. Warrior stances (protected) count towards the cap and some trinkets which work with both visible and hidden buffs had to be included (previously only the visible buff from the trinket was in the system, and if it got pushed off while the trinket was active, the buff would never dissapear).

These are the only exceptions to invisible buffs counting towards the 32-buff cap.

So basically another change being made that isn't Blizzlike. Just to clarify, will my stances now be showing up with the rest of my buffs?

Bazzil just to clarify: this is a reversal of the original post here where you state auras will NOT count toward buff cap on Kronos?

Was consistently getting buffs pushed off above 30 yesterday. Looked like stance and something else (would speculate it's windfury) that are not supposed to count toward the cap (per your original post).

Just want some clarification.

E: typo
E2: I can read and understand the stance is intended to count now, but additional auras appear to be counted right now as well (not a trinket). So asking for further clarification so I can appropriately file as a bug or not.

Last edited:
Is there any way to see the buff priority list from the Twinstar Kronos database?
I suspect there are some wrong priority values there. (For both invisible and visible buffs that count toward the limit)
Getting important world buffs pushed out can be a bit annoying when there is no possible way to figure out which one is the culprit.

Appreciate any input/response :) thanks

@Sandsten
There is no way to see the buff priority list.
If you want to do any research yourself you can log on the PTR and add an infinite amount of random consumables to help reach the buff-cap and see what gets pushed off.

you can use the item ID, or the name of the item in this manner:

.additem 9155
.additem "Arcane Elixir"

@Xos
Whenever Windfury procs, and you perform the instant attack, for a brief moment you get an aura for the Windfury that would take a buff spot. This is not intended on our front and we hope to have it fixed at some point. You can follow the issue here:
https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=10812

As for other invisible auras counting towards the buff-cap unintentionally, i am unaware of any cases that haven't been touched upon in this thread already, but if you find any then feel free to use the Bug Tracker and let us know about it.

Top Bottom