• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Character Auctions on Kronos

I can give you an example. I have been playing ele shaman on TBC realm. Week ago, i've realised that my guild will not come back and that we will raid no more. Then what to do with my char? I will not play it anymore, that's sure. It's full epic, so what to do with it? I've sold it. Now i have stars fior mount on kronos and i've maded happy one person, who wanted decently geared shaman. In my PoV win-win-win situation - I have stars for my mount, that person have char he desired, Twinstar project have money for maintaining good services they provide, 99% of the server community will not even notice what happened.

I can give you an example. I have been playing ele shaman on TBC realm. Week ago, i've realised that my guild will not come back and that we will raid no more. Then what to do with my char? I will not play it anymore, that's sure. It's full epic, so what to do with it? I've sold it. Now i have stars fior mount on kronos and i've maded happy one person, who wanted decently geared shaman. In my PoV win-win-win situation - I have stars for my mount, that person have char he desired, Twinstar project have money for maintaining good services they provide, 99% of the server community will not even notice what happened.

You have a mount, the buyer has a new shaman and the nonbuyer still leveling his shaman didn't get the raidspot cause the buyer hit levelcap first.

Yet still, it's 3 win vs 1 loss which means that pros overweight cons :wink: And it's not even PtW cuz i've give a lot of effort to get this char to this level and now i've transfered this effort to someone else. Nothing came up form nowhere.

You have a mount, the buyer has a new shaman and the nonbuyer still leveling his shaman didn't get the raidspot cause the buyer hit levelcap first.

You are making too many assumptions to have your point be taken seriously.

You don't know that the person who got his character immediately got into a raiding guild. Any guild that recruits based on character's gear is going to have enough problems.

You don't know that someone else is in the process of leveling a shaman, and even if someone is, you don't know that they would apply to, and get the spot in said guild. What if that guild finds a different shaman, what if the guy leveling the shaman can't make the raid times? What if the guy leveling is a tool? What if he doesn't speak the same language?

Your argument is based in speculation and fiction.

my favorite part about private servers in general is that every guild has 40 100% attendance raiders that never burn out or quit ever, it's the best.

my favorite part about private servers in general is that every guild has 40 100% attendance raiders that never burn out or quit ever, it's the best.
yup never in the history of Vanilla private servers was there a guy who nollifed a couple weeks, got rank 14, and never showed up again

his argument was an example, used to explain/prove a point. A good one at that.

I understand the point that he is trying to make, and that it is a possible outcome of A particular situation; but just because you can come up with one case where it sucks for a third party doesn't mean that's always the case.

This thread is about the picture as a whole, not just shooting down people's points with one example of one particular case that is bad.

That could definitely happen. But so could a hundred other things. The point is, does having Twinstar oversee the trade of accounts make more sense than the black market? Cause his example could just as easily happen if the character was sold privately.

This thread is about the picture as a whole, not just shooting down people's points with one example of one particular case that is bad.

THERE! There exactly is the problem. Because for somebody, this thread is about the whole picture. About the effect of the character auction on gameplay/Kronos. But for others this thread is about not liking that someone buys a lvl 60 character. It does not matter how and it does not matter whether it affects the realm in any way or not, the point is that it is unfair.
It's as if one half of the argument kept repeating how much oranges taste really good and the other half kept repeating that it's unfair that their orange has way more seeds in it than the next person's. While both are perfectly reasonable opinions, the corelation between them i's not exactly perfect. And that's why this discussion continues and noone seems to budge.

I don't think that people being able to buy 60's is fair. I think that most people don't think that's fair. Those that do are making arguments about having the freedom to do so, and how it may or may not have an effect on the server.

Regardless of any of that, people will buy/sell/trade. Twinstar can't stop it, but they can try to regulate it and gain something from it. I think that's a perfectly fine idea because even if it makes it easier to do so, you aren't getting real money out of it, so the incentive isn't that great.

You can't stop the character trade, so you need to put aside the distaste for it and think about whether the server should use it to their advantage or do nothing.

such PTW very PTW you totally win over me when u buy some random character wow, i think i missed something, i read whole thread and only saw some invalid arguments about how u will have advantage over me or how it isnt blizzlike or how is it unfair,on the topic of blizzlike: funny how for example max 5g retalent doesnt butthurt you that much, does it? and on the topic of unfair, i think its unfair that someone can play 25/7 like np and hit 60 month before me bcos of his ez RL, and im not yellin that they should limit it so he can play only 5hrs/day, i can get through it and enjoy teh game; i think my attitude, temperament is better than yours7
-conclusion- many ppl explained it to u, u understand but u just dont want to admit it cos of reasons and your temperament

This is such a bad excuse, just because something is unpreventable doesn't mean it should be allowed. Murders are always going to happen, should we legalise it cause "There is no way to prevent it"?

You are still buying something that you would have otherwise had to work for. The fact that the characters aren't generated for you doesn't make it any less pay to win. It makes it have less of an impact on the server economy though, so it's not as bad as could be.

You seem to be against the idea of buying items for your character, but not aginst the idea of buying a character with items. What is the core difference?
Also, would you not, for example, be able to sell your current character for stars, then buy another similar character with a better belt for slighly more stars, therefore esentially buying gear?

You are trading out-of-game currency for a leveled and (presumably) geared character. You are buying a more powerful charcter. You are buying power.
While this isn't as bad as making something exclusive to paying players (as Sivo so kindly pointed out an example of), it's still buying an advantage and therefore pay to win.

I'd also like to point out that pay to win doesnt mean "The only way to win is to pay" or "If you pay you are guaranteed to win". Pay to win means that by paying you get an unfair advantage over those that choose not to. This is why mounts, tabards and non-combat pets are not pay to win, while donating for gear, characters or xp boosts are.

haha,haven't seen so many facepalms before :lol::lol:

Don't take this to seriously, I was not sure if I even wanted to post this, though it did spark some nice discussion so I guess it wasn't all wastet :smile:

Yet still, it's 3 win vs 1 loss which means that pros overweight cons :wink: And it's not even PtW cuz i've give a lot of effort to get this char to this level and now i've transfered this effort to someone else. Nothing came up form nowhere.

It's still pay to win. The buyer has put in 0 effort and has a level 60. The nonbuyer does not have a level 60. How much effort you put into this is not related to this, it doesnt affect the situation.
Something doesnt have to be generated out of nowhere for it to be pay-to-win. I could do the example about buying gold again but noone seemed to understand that :innocent:

Don't take this to seriously, I was not sure if I even wanted to post this, though it did spark some nice discussion so I guess it wasn't all wastet :smile:

It's still pay to win. The buyer has put in 0 effort and has a level 60. The nonbuyer does not have a level 60. How much effort you put into this is not related to this, it doesnt affect the situation.
Something doesnt have to be generated out of nowhere for it to be pay-to-win. I could do the example about buying gold again but noone seemed to understand that :innocent:

I want to counter all your arguments with a brilliant refutation: I'm rich so I like pay-to-win, suck it! :)

My knee-jerk reaction to the idea of character auctions was filled with passion, and i kept thinking to myself "how could they allow this?"

Its easy to get up in arms about this sort of thing, because you believe it is morally wrong (vidya game morality :p) to trade characters or buy a 60. You may believe it should be illegal. And in a perfect world, nobody would trade/sell characters.

The reality is, people will do it. But those are minority, severely a minority i'd like to think. And yelling that this is a terrible idea, which I initially wanted to, would be incorrect. I wont notice this in my playing experience, sold characters through the system dont award real money, so transactions will still largely stay on the black market. Most people on the char auction site for kronos will prolly jist safely trade characters for one another.

Very few 60s will be put up, i bet, if at all, for random dudes to purchase. I'd rather not the system be in place, just because it seems a point of contention and i mighy see a few people talking about it uselessly in game, but having it doesnt really impact me playing the game. I just cant imagine people selling even a non geared 60 for kronos stars, i mean really.

Personally, with this system in place, I'd still give my acc away if i decided to quit. Theres no incentive for the average player to up and sell his warrior for just kronos money.

yup never in the history of Vanilla private servers was there a guy who nollifed a couple weeks, got rank 14, and never showed up again

A couple of weeks? A couple of months. Grinding a couple of months to sell your account for what amounts to a week's worth of welfare. Sounds like it'll be widespread.

That person who bought the account isn't causing anyone to lose out on their raid spots. The buyer will likely be shit at their character and won't have that raid spot in the first place, because guilds should be screening their applicants for shit like "do you actually know your class".

Even if somehow the buyer is great at their character, there isn't only one raid spot available, ever. Hell, even look at Emerald dream--it has 8 guilds per faction at the absolute worst it's been. It was peaking at around 10-12 raiding guilds per faction that had cleared all the content.

If you're good at your class, even mediocre, you'll get a raid spot. Even if every guild is at capacity for raiders, wait a few weeks. I guarantee you someone will burn out, or just not log on with any explanation. It's just how this game is.

Wait a minute - If you auction off your Kronos character, which would probably go for a lot of these "stars"(the virtual currency), can't you just use those stars for any of the other three Twinstar servers (TBC/CATA/WOTLK)?

Isn't that a pretty big incentive to use the Character Auction system?

Wait a minute - If you auction off your Kronos character, which would probably go for a lot of these "stars"(the virtual currency), can't you just use those stars for any of the other three Twinstar servers (TBC/CATA/WOTLK)?

Isn't that a pretty big incentive to use the Character Auction system?

Yes, you can use stars on all Twinstar servers. You can also buy vanity items or characters on other realms. And In my opinion if someone wanted to play a character on a wotlk/cata expansion, only an ****t would start levelling up a character on vanilla.

If you were worried about cata players swarming to Kronos, levelling characters, selling them and then buying tabards on cata you can calm down. They have easier ways to get stars than downloading a vanilla client(don't forget about this one) and levelling up.

Auctioning off on Kronos wouldn't get the auctioneer a substantial amount stars, as compared to the other servers? Seems like it would because of the leveling troubles.

If it were ready made 60's then I would be concerned. But I seriously doubt people leveling to 60, grinding rank 14 and/or gearing out their toon in raid gear then selling it is going to be an epidemic. You do realize how much time that takes, yes?

One man compared murder and theft with player's ah.Don't you know that they legalized killing long time ago,maybe hundreds years ago.So an auction is fine for me=)

P.S. I can't wait any longer!I want to play Kronos so badly!

Last edited:
Top Bottom