• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Character Naming Filter

Cr0wL0ck

Greeting's

As most who played on other private servers have experienced, player names can bypass the chat filtered words on other servers when picking a name. you can even call yourself "blizzard" if it is not already taken.

so i would like to suggest making a list of a variety of insulting, censored or reserved names and make sure they cannot be picked like blizzard did and whenever they found someone with a horrible name they gave the choice to rename or get deleted.

so simply reserve words like:
blizzard, Dumbledore, master, gamemaster, leeroy, ragnaros etc.

and any name that contains the words:
homo, gay, dick, or anything that would normally be censored to avoid the worst troll names

Afaik there is a list of forbidden words within the server itself. That means the hack/edit that bypasses the client's forbidden name detection will not work, since the name is checked server-side too.
I found a mpq file suited for naming @wotlk, but not one for vanilla. I could rework the file to use on Vanilla, but I'm kinda lazy to rework the file on my own :p

If you have the file or filter for vanilla, send it to me and I can check the issue on our alpha test realm.

I think we will have a pretty good system currently, these things usually police themselves. If you pick a stupid name, you'll probibly get laughed at. And, in the event that they just don't care theres no real help for those sorts if yea know what im saying. even if u banned the word dick from the filter some smuck will come along and spell it dlck or dyck (oddly my friend has a character named that) or any other combination that when yea sound it out in your head sounds like dick :/

Also dick is only partly dirty, Dick is short for Richard.

Last edited:
hmm wouldn't it be a lot faster just to create those character name's.

ask the community for sending a long list of common troll names ? i could give you a long list as well if you want, then just from the database reserve or use them on characters that wont ever be used on reserved account with limitless character list that is then banned ? :)

GMs can flag you for renaming when they see you running arround with unappropriate name. You will be force to rename your character then.
Like Psojed said there are already checks for such names so I doubt it will be necessary. Maybe on some rare occasions.

Who would even care if I named my character Dogballs? Would you? I'd think people have waay more important issues in their lives and even in their wow "lives", than the name of some dude's bunch of pixels.
Or am I just too old to get worked up over stupid shit like that?

Last edited:
Who would even care if I named my character Dogballs? Would you? I'd think people have waay more important issues in their lives and even in their wow "lives", than the name of some dude's bunch of pixels.
Or am I just too old to get worked up over stupid shit like that?
You underestimate people's ability to get mad over things

well i guess it depend's on who you are but in short:
name yourself "Blizzard" or "Gamemaster" and you can trick some into believing you if you act like it, ofc only a child or tired person would fall for it but that is enough.

you could also go to the point where you take another players name and uses it to insult him:
lets say a character named "bob" is playing and he is on every day, troll see's and names himself "bobisgay" yes not everyone would care but the troll would think it is.

another part is that some would call themself random disgusting things just to bother others and play normally, blizzard added a filter for this pupose and i believe they mainly thought of the children when they added that but it removed the worst distatefull names, and afterwards as said game masters could flag for rename in case they call themselves something else that isnt detected or as bad but still needs rename.

i don't really care much anymore about it but i still dislike seeing such disgusting naming when i see it.

fixing it is rather simple, as said you could make an account with limitless character's and add 1 after another worst names and thereby remove most of that before you get the mail, or post from players who feel insulted or disgusted ☺

note: the best Solution is the solution that is added before it ever becomes needed, fixing things that could go wrong before they go wrong.

Last edited:
so simply reserve words like:
blizzard, Dumbledore, master, gamemaster, leeroy, ragnaros etc.

and any name that contains the words:
homo, gay, dick, or anything that would normally be censored to avoid the worst troll names

Don't forget all the insulting words.

was just an example, but yes anything that's normally filtered in chat shouldn't be allowed within a character name either ☺

i thought that i should find the correct rules regarding names for the thread, so i went ahead and found blizzards rule book, where (iv)+(vi)+(vii)+(ix)+(xi)+(xii) can be mostly be prevented before it ever becomes and issue that a GM needs to take care of, thereby severely reducing that type of case before it ever arises :laugh::
you may not use any name:
(i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

(vii) Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;

(viii) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(ix) Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);

(x) Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");

(xi) Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")

(xii) That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")​

i thought that i should find the correct rules regarding names for the thread, so i went ahead and found blizzards rule book, where (iv)+(vi)+(vii)+(ix)+(xi)+(xii) can be mostly be prevented before it ever becomes and issue that a GM needs to take care of, thereby severely reducing that type of case before it ever arises :laugh::
you may not use any name:
(i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

(vii) Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;

(viii) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(ix) Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);

(x) Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");

(xi) Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")

(xii) That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")​
Isn't that mostly for RP servers or am I wrong.

nope :D

blizzard really got mad back then when you tried to break those rules, most of the words that would categorize as those listed wheren't available, if you then used "´`¨" or similar signs to change i to í just to take a blocked name then they would soon contact you.

there is no penalty for doing so but, it is clear that they don't want it. i made 2 characters named "Voldemorth", "dumbledoore" for fun back then. i barely got them to lvl 7-11 before i stopped playing, months later i was got a GM popup suddenly while playing where i was informed that i wont be able to log on him again before i rename them and next time it will be considered if obvious that the character would just be deleted. don't think they would delete it but never found out since i deleted them right away since i had nothing stored on them and i had barely used any time.

If you play on the retail and pick a name such as the above:
A: it is reserved and wont ever show up in the armory since blizzard has it in some naming filter and it doesnt exist.
B: you picked a word/name before it is filtered, perhaps a celebrity that first became known recently. if that celeb or the word becomes well known enough blizzard will inform you to pick a new name for free, this is done on all their servers. i think they add to the filter once every end of the year or so, it's become rather rare since most of the well known word and names are already blocked.

without a filter the first to join will pick names like: Blizzard - Hitler - Fuck etc. since the names aren't affected by chat filter either.

Top Bottom