• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Hunter Considering 1st time hunter

Spacey

So I've been playing wow for years. From 2006 to 2010 on retail as a shaman, and then priest/rogue on various private servers. All these years I havent ever played a hunter.

I would really like to try a hunter for once. So I'm wondering whether anyone has an opinion on how hard it would be to play it for the first time compared to other classes? I know vanilla wow very well in general just not hunters. I'm also considering a priest which I feel like I master pretty well, and I'll probably pick priest or hunter depending on how difficult hunters are.

Thanks in advance :)

Order pet to attack.

BTW, hunter is easy to play, but rly hard to master (in my opinion)

I see. As in easy to learn basics, but hard to get really good at?

I'll have to consider. thanks

Leveling with hunter is really easy even with basic knowledge , but at max lvl , its really hard to master . You will find some randoms hunters in battlegrounds , that knows only basic and you will say , oh its sucks i can kill that class... but only you will meet players that has mastered this class , you can be really surprised , they are really strong class . But mastering it will take alot of time , and tests ( i would call one of the most hardest class to master )

Concerning PvP, which is what I'm mostly into. It's a class that one can easily be adequate without much practice or skill. However, as others have previously mentioned, to master it is not so easy. Of course that statement probably applies to all classes, to some degree.

Hunters do get a reputation as a noob class, because when it comes to lvling, they are much easier than many of the other classes. But that faceroll PvE rarely translates into PvP prowess.

Hunters do get a reputation as a noob class, because when it comes to lvling, they are much easier than many of the other classes.
Their wide array of proficiencies and an apparent lack of understanding what constitutes a good item for a hunter also factors into this. Almost everyone has at least one story of Hunters rolling need on something suited for another class because they think it will benefit them.

For reference to above, I am 90% sure that (melee) weapons Hunters use are basically stat-sticks, much like casters. Also the stat for damage you want on them is Agility, not Strength. Obviously Stamina and Intellect do confer a bonus at least. I don't exactly recall the situation with attack power on weapons because I think vanilla did something funky with melee/ranged attack power being distinct concepts.

I'm sure someone who has actually played a Hunter can correct me on this, though :smile:

Hunter is really amazing, at start it will be just to tank with pet and help him to kill mobs from range but at lvl 60 the fun begins. You are almsot the only one class who can kill any mob... yes any mob and it is thx to kitting. You can slow down normal mobs and jsut kill them, but elite monsters are different story you have to be at max range with aspect, switch agro with your pet and so on.

HOWEVER as was mentioned you need to check internet or discus with guild items you can loot. Ranged weapons and hunter's Tx are your, but you still need rings and stat weapons (from raids is best ZG set of rings (ring from Ragnaros is better for rogues or even furry warriors)). Weapons are always problem, bcs weapons that will boost you, boost much more other classes.

If you have ppl who know what to do with their classes then you won't be in top 8 dps, but you are great support for your group (as MM only) or even raid (mainly healers).

PvP is hard with him, but you can kill anyone if you will know how to play him. Sory, no everyone, you can't kill druids :(

Just try him it is fun and i belive you will have great times with him :)

Hunter is the easiest class to level, and also quite overpowered once you get powerful gear. Also, trinket+scattershot+FD+trap combo. Grrrrrrr.

On some bosses you can top meters and thats because you have FD to reduce threat. So other dps has to stop but you can just FD and continue. The problem is when your FD resists :D

If you top the dmg meter on any raid boss, I have bad news for all the mages/warlocks/rogues in raid : )) Doesn't seem reasonable at least not 'til late tier 3..Hunter's role in Vanilla is very important in PvE tho.. No tranq shot = no win. No kiting = no win. Etc. etc. : )

Also their pets are useful as damage soakers on huhuran in aq.

And you can skip wipes with feign death and be the hero with jumper cables if they forgot soulstone.

Also their pets are useful as damage soakers on huhuran in aq.

And you can skip wipes with feign death and be the hero with jumper cables if they forgot soulstone.

Huhuran may not be supposed to hit pets.

Last edited:
Troubles in PvP when opponents are geared above t2 when you are same geared coz low burst and no silence, so you can't kill any good healer that can survive your burst(like aimed+multi+(ZG trinket)+multi+arcane coz no way to stp their healing except scatter, but you will be CD'd after that(10 sec cd multishot) so if you are no so close to do trap after - they will heal to full hp. 50/50 vs mages and warlocks(any specs), SP, good vs rogues, druids(except restore coz you can kill them when they fight vs you, but you can't if they just run with flag from you fox example) and warriors(but requares some time and space to kite so on BG t's not that common situation especially if prem vs prem). For PvP some all round classes like mage will be better in action. In PvE hunter provides good damage but not top obviously.

Will be my first time in WoW really levelling a Hunter, just wanted to say thanks for helping out on these topics - really looking forward to getting started.

Fun little thing I used to do on Vanilla years and years ago when people were actual noobs:

As a level 60 Dwarf Hunter (well my friends lvl 60 hunter) I went to Durotar and tamed Sarkoth (black scorpio for Orc/Troll quest)
Named him Sarkoth too as my pet, then moved around as if he was still a mob. (Eyes of the Beast spell) I would hide my hunter behind a tree or somewhere on top of a high rock.
Then a low level Troll or Orc would come after a while to do the quest and it would be impossible for them to kill it.
Since Hunter stats are passed down to pet no matter what the level.
And they died, and were PvP flagged so I could gank them with my Pet using the above mentioned spell.

Basically terrorizing low levels with my Pet and Im sure a lot of them did not know what the f*** was going on. Scorpids on a rampage lol.

Needless to say, this was a lot of fun!
Quite probably not the same on this server because of less noobs, but still worth a try if you ever get to.

I personally love Hunters, and they have been one of my all time favorite classes.
Too bad they get bad rep because of retarded people.

Last edited:
Hunter pets got a contribution of Hunter stats in 2.0 patch iirc.

I remember my bro maining a Hunter and me not wanting to even touch the class because Aimed Shot + Multi + Auto got old FAST and pets were basically useless when not Bestial Wrath'ed.

Top Bottom