• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Copyright Violation

squiretoad

I downloaded and installed the vanilla WoW 1.4.1 (or whatever) yesterday, created a character and played yesterday with no problems.

Today I get an email from Spectrum (my internet provider) warning me of a copyright violation, and to not do that again or I'll lose my account. Details of the violation: WoW 1.4.1 !!

So the folder is deleted, I'll probably delete the account here or at Kronos or wherever. Losing my internet access (and possiibly my legitimate paid-for Blizzard WoW account) is not worth the vanilla experience.

Just a heads-up to you all.

The game client was free to download back in the day, as far as I know it's not protected by any copyright law.
Details of the violation: WoW 1.4.1 !!
These are just some idiots who can't even spell the version of the program correctly. But probably they're spying on what you're torrenting trying to find illegal stuff. Call them, you're the client, they're the ones who owe you an explaination on wth they're trying to blame you in.

Sunderwear, I never said the ISP was spying. Someone ELSE (can we spell "Blizzard", hmmm?) had picked up on it. In any event, after more study I suspected that maybe it wasn't running that old client, connecting to a vanilla server, that triggered the problem; that it was my accidentally leaving the torrent client turned on ... and it then trying to seed the WoW .zip archive! I did everything over again, but this time immediately turned off the torrent client after the download was complete. I've been playing vanilla WoW (although on a different server now, a PVE one) with no issues, no warnings. Looks like it was the torrent client. So lesson learned: if you use a torrent client to download an early version of WoW to play vanilla WoW, do NOT let it start seeding that package!

So lesson learned: if you use a torrent client to download an early version of WoW to play vanilla WoW, do NOT let it start seeding that package!
If you use a torrect client to download something, be ready to shoo off morons for whom torrent = illegal.

I just received an email like this aswell using the windows client download from the kronos website, the client is probably compromissed or the site it is downloaded is.

Neither the client nor the Kronos website is compromised. You got this notice from your ISP because you seeded the file via torrent.
Just google a bit around about "wow torrent isp notice".

Basically what happens when you use a torrent is that it also automatically seeds (uploads) what you downloaded. The ip you are using for this is not really hidden, therefore everyone can use this information to make a complaint at the owner of that IP. A simple iplookup reveals which ip address belongs to which ISP....this is public information. When your ISP receives such a complaint they need to act. Basically they are just relaying to you what the person/company filing that complaint said to them.

This method has become common practise. They just assume because you are using torrents that you are doing something illegal while they have actually not a single piece of evidence that you did so.

Top Bottom