• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Custom mount and companion feature = gold sink

Keldar

Authorized
Raids and DM:E farms inject thousands of gold into economy each day. There aren't many fresh level 60 dinging anymore, hungry for their epic mount and with custom respec cost the inflation is only going to get worse.

One of the few things I liked in the expansions (don't even know which one it was) is that mounts and companions had their "tab" and were learned and disappeared from your bag rather than taking your bag space. This quality of life improvement also promotes getting more mounts and companions (let's be honest, how often do you see someone having a companion in vanilla).

Now back to the inflation, I think it might be an interesting idea to implement above mentioned features to serve as a gold sink. Bought from a custom NPC for let's say 1k gold for mount tab and 500g for companion tab. In my opinion it has no impact on breaking the "vanilla immersion" (unlike goats in Orgrimmar and kodos in IF) as it is pure quality of life improvement and it may help get significant amount of gold out of the economy.

There aren't many fresh level 60 dinging anymore, hungry for their epic mount...
There are enough not to implement this change.

...Custom respec cost...
I would gladly see this changed to 'blizzlike'.

One of the few things I liked in the expansions (don't even know which one it was) is that mounts and companions had their "tab" and were learned and disappeared from your bag rather than taking your bag space. This quality of life improvement also promotes getting more mounts and companions (let's be honest, how often do you see someone having a companion in vanilla).
Strongly disagree. You never need more than one mount at once. You always have a mount that is better (based on speed and looks) than your other mounts.

...How often do you see someone having a companion in vanilla?
Every one of my characters has at least one, and my first character here on Kronos probable has about ten. Moreover, I frequently see people with owls or cats from low level locations, and some of my characters have a companion by their side (almost) at all times.

...It might be an interesting idea to implement above mentioned features to serve as a gold sink.
Raids and DM:E farms inject thousands of gold into economy each day.
If you needn't gold, stop 'farming' it. If you have gold that you have no use for, it's only your own fault. There is no need for 'gold sink'.

Bought from a custom NPC for let's say 1k gold for mount tab and 500g for companion tab.
Where do these values come from? Why are they optimal? Prices you offer are extremelly high for casual players.

And if you collect mounts or companions, it is only natural that they take up your inventory space.

In my opinion it has no impact on breaking the "vanilla immersion" (unlike goats in Orgrimmar and kodos in IF)...
Custom NPCs do break the feeling. It's not any better than instant-60, custom races and the like. Custom things are fine when they fix bugs. 'Gold sink' is no bug fix.

(unlike goats in Orgrimmar and kodos in IF)
These are definitely bad side of Kronos.

...It may help get significant amount of gold out of the economy.
This is a bad option to remove gold. Start collecting items in large amounts, put it at the auction house and into the 'Trade' channel for cheaper prices, that's the way to improve the economy. Prices will go lower if people wouldn't be able to sell for the prices they request.

Months ago, for example, Arcanite Bar (AB) was about 20g at auction while Arcane Crystal (AC) was about 6g. Then suddenly it rose to about 40g for each of those (AC still cheaper). Now prices go lower again. I think I've seen those things for about 25-28g recently. Items have not changed, they are still used for the same purpose and come from the same source. Current economy is overpriced. Boycott high prices or offer cheaper alternatives and economy will fix itself.

There are enough not to implement this change.
On Alliance maybe, but on Horde there is definately lack of new blood.

I would gladly see this changed to 'blizzlike'.
It has many pros and cons, this is not the thread to discuss it.

Strongly disagree. You never need more than one mount at once. You always have a mount that is better (based on speed and looks) than your other mounts.
Well that is you, I would like to have more mounts to switch it up a bit but the fact they would take up my bag/bank space doesn't really support it. For companions even more so.

Every one of my characters has at least one, and my first character here on Kronos probable has about ten. Moreover, I frequently see people with owls or cats from low level locations, and some of my characters have a companion by their side (almost) at all times.
I have many in bank myself, but the fact they take up some much space sucks and it definately prevents me from obtaining more. And no, people don't use companions frequently imo.

If you needn't gold, stop 'farming' it. If you have gold that you have no use for, it's only your own fault. There is no need for 'gold sink'.
People will not stop farming it, especially for expensive stuff like Black Lotus - which means that the gold is added to the economy. You don't have to give me lecture, this will not change.

Where do these values come from? Why are they optimal? Prices you offer are extremelly high for casual players.
Dude, do you really think I was thinking this through a lot? It was just an example. They prices just need to be high enough to have some impact. The exact values will be for Kronos staff to determine if they decide to implement it. Moreover, there is no need for casual player to have this. It is supposed to be premium feature so it can be even as expensive as I suggested earlier imo.

And if you collect mounts or companions, it is only natural that they take up your inventory space.
Yes, that's why almost nobody collects them.

Custom NPCs do break the feeling.
Congratulations, you know every NPC in the game apperantly. Obviously, it will not be a giant pink orc in the middle of IF. You can create some nice NPC to match the idea (some witch hidden somewhere in the world with many cats for the companion trainer for example) or give it to existing NPC for that matter.

It's not any better than instant-60, custom races and the like. Custom things are fine when they fix bugs. 'Gold sink' is no bug fix.
How can you compare this pure QoL feature to a fun server stuff?! Also, Black lotus was changed to tackle mafia, that is also not a bug. Inflated economy is not a bug but it doesn't mean it should be ignored.

This is a bad option to remove gold. Start collecting items in large amounts, put it at the auction house and into the 'Trade' channel for cheaper prices, that's the way to improve the economy. Prices will go lower if people wouldn't be able to sell for the prices they request.
Dude, you don't have to explain me how the economy works and which type of farm creates gold and which does not. Majority will continue to farm gold in DM:E if they are in need of gold and that is a fact that will not change.

Months ago, for example, Arcanite Bar (AB) was about 20g at auction while Arcane Crystal (AC) was about 6g. Then suddenly it rose to about 40g for each of those (AC still cheaper). Now prices go lower again. I think I've seen those things for about 25-28g recently. Items have not changed, they are still used for the same purpose and come from the same source. Current economy is overpriced. Boycott high prices or offer cheaper alternatives and economy will fix itself.
Obviously stuff was overpriced for a while. Now the prices stabilized a bit but are still extremely high for a new player to afford so they are usually forced to farm gold which only makes the economy situation worse. And when Naxx is close, the prices will rise significantly again.

One thing you can question about this is how will people get gold for the feature if they want it but don't have the gold. If they decide to farm gold it will help nothing but at the end of the day, I think this can have only good impact (also if people have the feature, some might buy more colors of the mounts which is an extra gold sink) or almost none but not negative.

Last edited:
Top Bottom