• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

DPSMate - A combat analyzation tool

The philisophie of the WoW-Addon-Community

• I think a license system is fair and justified considering the work

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Addons have to be free, I will never donate or pay sth, just give it to me

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Addons have to be free and I would consider donating for a good project, that I like

Votes: 83 68.0%
  • Addons have to be free but I'd show my support by sth else than donating

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Can't decide but I'd like to contribute towards the goal

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't see anything wrong with your looking to be compensated in some way but I just don't think code obfuscation is the way to go here. Especially since I'm sure you've profited a lot from looking at the code of other people's addOns yourself like I have too.

You should simply state a price for the addOn and let the honest people pay.
Honest people will always give something in return, a small amount of gold or a simple "thanks".

The main problem here is that OP wanted to get something for his work no matter what the impact of his work would create in all Vanilla servers.

I can say it's way more "detailed" than Recount for newer expansions, so that's already a big reason to have success. Also, I can see this addOn being backported to 2.4.3 (a lot of hype for these type of servers) by another guy because it's the best damage meter.

Also, I wanted to ask OP: Why there is a small delay (~0.5) between the hit itself and the register of the damage?

My bad. I did more searches and it seems you check the player hash in some modules (Interrupts, Damage, Sync, etc...).

So, to remove all the "authentications" would take a little more time. Here is a quick solution that should work for anyone: http://i.imgur.com/vLbJizA.png

Edit: @up (Renew): it was a quick hack-fix before removing all authentications.
Since the deal was to remove the "license system", here is the addOn without it (I left the "authentication" functions for "historical purposes"): http://expirebox.com/download/583a2ad07c77813d70ef23ff5731d1a6.html
Im gonna try that addon ingame and if it works then I send you 15g :D ...still good 175g discount

how u guys see this model of .lua code
in my np++ its just solo string which pretty sux :S

cfbd5c0dda7330dba9a9265b97abbddb.png

Guess Renew and AfterAfterLife are winning the gold, though you needed a little longer than expected. But I guess you have been sleeping, as well as I did.
So AfterAfterLife is not playing on K1, do you want the gold then Renew?

So one of those 2 goals are done. We still need 464 more participants in the poll. Also I'd like you to comment on your choice, ofcourse optional but appreatiated.

Some misc: Im currently writing my finishing exams so I can't work on the addon. But Im looking forward to the time after the exams.

@AfterAfterLife
Just a function to save ressources and increase the performance. Instead of refreshing the graph on every update, it will refresh it every 0.5 seconds, when an update is required.

cheers!

So AfterAfterLife is not playing on K1, do you want the gold then Renew?

i dont have a character on Kronos too :tongue:

I inspected the system just for fun :)

at the end it should be your choice how you want to publish the addon, i recommend to make it public and accept free donations from ppl who enjoy your addon :) it saves your time and time of ppl that "crack" your addon

I'm just back from work and this thread moved more than I expected.

I want to apologize for the tone of my first post but I have a bit of a raw nerve for this kind of thing.
Previous prominent addons that tried to go this route:

None of them had any qualms taking from author communities in the form of support, even specific working snippets for problems they were having.
None of them had any problem incorporating libraries from the Ace team or Cryect's graph library that pretty much "everyone" is using for graph work.
Rarely if ever giving anything back.
Most of the embedded libraries even have licenses that prohibit charging for the addon using them or obfuscating them.

I understand how much unpaid work goes into making addons (it being a hobby endeavor in a hobby doesn't matter) but I see it as a dick move capitalizing on other people's work to "make a buck" virtual or not.

I'm obviously ok with voluntary donations.

Last edited:
I think addOn devs who wants to be rewarded before releasing an addOn should make some sort of "marketing" before. Like someone said before, crowdfunding works really well in this case.
Instead of "asking for money", you set goals (usually addOn's features). For example:
  1. At 1k gold - Track trinket/CDs procs.
  2. At 2.5k gold - Save your top DPS in certain fights (e.g. Ragnaros: #1 - 511, #2 - 498, #3 - 476).
  3. At 5k gold - Compare old DPS charts with your last DPS chart.
  4. At 10k gold - Beat your "ghost dps" (similar to racing video games where sometimes you see the "ghost" of your best lap).
  5. etc...

This is very good because, in the end, people will only get what they asked for, there is no need to create tons of features, if only a few of them will be used.

But if you aren't too worried about what you will get, then just do what you want. If people like it, they will support you, if not, they simply "ignore". But they will never criticize your work because sharing is the best thing we can do for others.

I see nothing wrong with selling a product/idea that you created, but I really don't get why would you try to sell an addon for a 10 year old game, which can be replaced by different addons with similar functionality.

I downloaded the AfterAfterlife's version with "removed license system". Either the removal didn't work out, or some serious fixing is needed.

- there are multiple errors popping out when you delete a newly created window, the deletion sometimes does not work
- the dropdown menu in the config window gets stuck on your newly created window that you deleted, producing more errors. The default "DPSMate" window becomes invisible in the config menu.
- part of the menu can get detached from the rest of the config window, see: http://i.imgur.com/nV7Mt5g.jpg
- lock/unlock and test mode buttons in the config window are inconsistent with the right click menu of the minimap button (ie. tick Lock windows, then right click the minimap button and select Unlock windows. Config window says the window is locked, and you can move it)
- Raid Leader Options in the config menu has a button Hello World! with the description "Return a list of player being in the Synced-Channel", which I assume is not very useful for players from other guilds.
- Synchronization is throwing errors even after I disabled it.
- The summary graph shows the final hit of a fight, but the individual graph of a person who did the final hit sometimes does not show that hit. Also when the whole fight is done by a single player, the summary graph does not match the single player's graph.
and more...

Also
- Increase your addon memory in your addon tab of your character screen to at least 150 mb. You can find the number in the upper right corner of the tab.
seriously?

That is pretty good idea.

Now I am finally done with my finishing exams. Im currently working on a surprise that I will show you when we reached 500 votes.

Also I'd like to apologize for all this hazzle. Guess this could have gone a lot better.

cheers!

Edit: @Spasi:
Most of the errors are caused because of the non removed license system. However a few of them are intersting:

the dropdown menu in the config window gets stuck on your newly created window that you deleted, producing more errors. The default "DPSMate" window becomes invisible in the config menu.
Are those errors caused after deleting an window?

Synced-Channel
The guild wasn't meant :p

Synchronization is throwing errors even after I disabled it.
Can you tell me the error message and when It occoured?

The summary graph shows the final hit of a fight, but the individual graph of a person who did the final hit sometimes does not show that hit. Also when the whole fight is done by a single player, the summary graph does not match the single player's graph.
I know, I have to work out an dynamic scaling for that depending on the amount of contributors. However I cant scale it to the individual player graphs because otherwise the graph will be useless due to the individuals being to tiny. Now you can see the spikes, at least.

and more...
Can you tell me those errors, I can't fix them otherwise :)
If you like you can put them into this thread or directly into the Bugtracker.

Also (...) seriously?
It is not really required but since a lot of people are using very heavy interfaces, it is recommended. And as long as you are not playing on a piece of wood, you should be able to increase it without getting any issues.

Last edited:
I'll post them into the tracker.

The other errors included an error when posting a report into chat for example, but I couldn't reproduce the sync error or the other errors with a non-bugged window, so it seems they were also the result of the deleted window error.

One thing I noticed with your addon is that all checkboxes accept clicks that do not actually land on the checkbox. For example the blue addon window - point your mouse as if you wanted to open the configuration, then move a few pixels away from the "cog", point to the blue bar. Clicking the blue bar will Enable/Disable the addon, as if you actually clicked the checkbox. Same thing with the checkboxes in the configuration menu.

150 Mb shouldn't be an issue for today's standards, but one addon consuming that much memory is still pretty insane.

I saw it, thank you!
I will fix it this evening hopefully. Im currently very busy with an side project that I'd like to release along with DPSMate once we reached 500 votes.

The Checkbox bug is annoying indeed. I tried very hard already in order to fix it, but as it seems is the checkbox template damaged or it expects an string as well. However If you changed this template I'd break the whole interface. So I have to make my own one and change the whole menu again. So another task, that I have in mind though.

Yes I'm aware that this is insane. This is mainly because of all the data that DPSMate is collecting, not actual processing usage. The logs can get up to 30mb after a long raid day. If I compressed the data though, I would cause a lot of processing lags during the fight, which I wanted to prevent. So luckily our computers can finally handle a lot memory :p

Thanks for the report!

P.S.: 425 votes left, maybe I will release it earlier, can't wait. :3

Kronos implemented a max packet limit. If you surpass it, you will be kicked. Currently DPSMate is sending too many packets per second which means that you can't be in synced mode currently. This will be fixed with the next update.

So deactivate synced for now.

cheers!

I'm currently on vacation to celebrate my successful school finishing exams. Personally I aim for the 15. I have to test something though before which requires a raid, so wish me luck^^

It will be released on Sunday or slightly afterwards, since the servers were down and I wasnt able to test all the stuff.

I got a question about your addon. Would it track certain procs like Heroism Card from Darkmoon Faire and D2 set for warriors? Would it track it like normal heals or would it just track how many procs. Reason I ask is because I've been wanting to track how much I'm healing while farming in my heal set.

Yes it can. Atleast is should, I have never tried it^^

Maelstrom card and D2 set from rogues work for example.

Hey,
I am sorry to tell you that I can not release DPSMate today due to the recent events of Kronos. It is not only the downtime that restricts any tests it is also a recent change in the core of Kronos which limits the amount of a packet type to be send. Due to the heavy data collection and its resulting synchronization, DPSMate needs to send a lot of packets in a small time. I have implemented a system that compresses the data even more and developed a sending algorythm in order to deal with this system. This however needs then again to be tested in a raid. If this system is not working you will be receiving client kicks during the gameplay due to this system of Kronos, which is why I will postpone the release a bit longer.

cheers!

Yo!
Im excited to make this announcement. Today I was able to test the remaining changes I made and this test was successful. Therefore I will provide you with the official public version of DPSMate.

Be aware that DPSMate is not localized yet, meaning it is ONLY working on english clients.

Also I am excited to give you a little sneak peak of the little secret regarding DPSMate.
a53b3b48b79c023ef4069316d2ccdc1b.png

Soon ^_^

Download and install:
1. Download the addon folder here.
2. Rename the folder to "DPSMate"
3. I recommend to increase the addon memory to 150 mb.
4. Remove DPSMate.lua and DPSMate.lua.bak in your WTF/Account/YOUR ACC NAME/Kronos/YOUR CHAR NAME/SavedVariables/ (if you had DPSMate installed before)
5. I recommend to disable SW_Stats.

Support me!
1. Report bugs that you found.
2. Suggest improvements in this thread.
3. You can also donate for my projects if you like.

I am looking forward to your feedback on this addon :)

cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom