• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Hunter Feign death + shadowmeld trick

bicross

Authorized
Hi everyone,

So I was wondering if the feign death + shadowmeld trick works on Kronos (we can see it on that video at 56:30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCN6OClqDNY).

In fact, I don't even know if it was possible back in days (hard to find sources) but I assume it would since shadowmeld is a vanish-like mechanic.

Thanks for your time !

:biggrin:

Shadowmeld is not vanish-like in the sense you cannot use it in combat.

Since feign death drops combat I think it should be possible to execute FD -> Shadowmeld... unless leaving feign death puts you back in combat?

Thanks for your answer, and sorry, I think I didn't explain the trick very well...

I know it's totally possible to use FD to drop combat and then use shadowmeld (like you can use traps after FD).

What I don't know is if shadowmeld could "negate" a spell in travelling (like vanish can do it for rogues), if it's blizzlike, and if it works on Kronos. You can see what I just described on the video I linked, but that's on a private server so it doesn't really help to know if it's blizzlike or not :)

Edit: you can see it here at 01:02 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKf8w7DDIMc too.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, and sorry, I think I didn't explain the trick very well...

I know it's totally possible to use FD to drop combat and then use shadowmeld (like you can use traps after FD).

What I don't know is if shadowmeld could "negate" a spell in travelling (like vanish can do it for rogues), if it's blizzlike, and if it works on Kronos. You can see what I just described on the video I linked, but that's on a private server so it doesn't really help to know if it's blizzlike or not :)

Edit: you can see it here at 01:02 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKf8w7DDIMc too.
Well as I understand it, Shadowmeld will not remove any effects, it's like regular stealth - you may require some supplementary ways to remove debuffs if they will otherwise take you out of Shadowmeld. Purification Potions, Restorative Potions, Luffa??, stuff like that.

Afaik you'd have to activate shadow meld before the spell cast is finished and not when the projectile is already in midair to negate a spell.
What is shown in these 2 (private server) videos seems to be a bug.

In a vurtne video (think it was 2) you can see a rogue stealth before a frostbolt hits and gets unstealthed by it.
In vurtne 4 its the same for a rogue standing in a net-o-matic projector.
Any evidence how it should be would be much appreciated. Until then I doubt this is correct behavior.

-> shadow meld should only cancel the cast, not the projectile.

So you would have to use feign+meld before cast finished to utilize it and melting instants would be impossible.

I agree with you about stealth Lharts. I remember, like you, that the rogue's stealth would be cancel if activated when the spell is in the air (whereas I'm 100% sure that vanish would negate it).

The thing is we don't know if shadowmeld have the same mechanic as stealth. And as i said, it's really hard to find sources on that specific spell in that specific situation at that particular period.

I would definetely love to read what developers think about that.

:biggrin:

Edit: I know that the post-wotlk shadowmeld (which is usable in combat) negate midair spells just like vanish do. The mechanic could have been reworked tho...

Last edited:
(whereas I'm 100% sure that vanish would negate it).
I know that the post-wotlk shadowmeld (which is usable in combat) negate midair spells just like vanish do. The mechanic could have been reworked tho...

Both correct.
Vanilla shadowmeld worked just like stealth and the fact you can't find any hunter videos where the above action is performed (even though 90% alliance legolas hunters are nightelfs) backs this up even more.

OP (or us) should find evidence that it is infact not a bug and should work this way. Which I highly doubt.

If I'm not mistaken vanish makes you enter an "improved stealth" mode allowing you to absorb the damage of a mid-air spell.

According to a popular vanilla database, vanish triggers "vanish purge" which grants you an immunity aura for 10 sec.

Shadowmeld works similarly to stealth so I don't think you would get the mid-air spell negation. I was also surprised when I saw that hunter video from a private server as I never remember my Shadowmeld working as such. I assumed it was a bug when I watched it tbh.

I agree with you guys, I'll search a bit more on youtube if I can find situations that could prove anything but I think it's a bug too.

Shadowmeld still is nice to eat/drink quietly or to engage a fight. I'll definetely roll a NE. I really like dwarves and orcs for their racials and how they look too, but female NE ftw haha :biggrin:

Last edited:
So, all in all, noone has clear evidence that shadowmeld should or should not negate mid-air spells if you use it right it hits you ?

You only need common sense. Its a bug, period.

Reason why you don't find evidence is simple. Noone would file reports about something that is working as intended.

You only need common sense. Its a bug, period.

Reason why you don't find evidence is simple. Noone would file reports about something that is working as intended.

"commen sense" has been proved wrong several times, especially when it comes to remember how vanilla worked

Shadomeld has virtually no difference to regular stealth in terms of the mechanic. The only difference is that it drops on any action other then sit/stand.
Just check any vanilla PvP movie and you will see what I mean. Check my post above and see for yourself.

IIRC in Vanilla you can cancel a spell cast with FD since it will drop target. People used to have /targetlast macro against this.

Top Bottom