• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Field of View hack allowed?

Marvos

Hello.

Will a fov hack like this be allowed on Kronos?
https://www.worldofcorecraft.com/content/hack-243-1121-field-view-fix

What the linked thread says is that in vanilla and TBC, field of view decreased if you used a widescreen monitor (perhaps because widescreen monitors weren't that widespread back then, and this was not handled properly), whereas from Wotlk onwards, field of view increases with a widescreen monitor (as it should).

Images from the linked thread showing this:
4:3 Vanilla & TBC
16:9 Vanilla & TBC

4:3 Wotlk
16:9 Wotlk

The thread creator Turdas offers his hack to increase the value of fov. The source code is included in the download. This hack edits the memory of wow.exe when it is running, so you must run it every time you run wow. No files are changed. You can choose your own value for fov when you run the hack.

I made these screenshots myself:
Default fov
Suggested "wotlk" fov
Biggest possible value fov

As you can see, there is a potential for exploitation, but you do not see much more than what you would if you zoomed the camera out. The scene looks nicer in wotlk fov, though, and I feel I have less motion sickness, too. So what are your thoughts on this? Should this be allowed or not?

That tweak looks pretty neat, it's a bit unhappy that 'hack' is included in his name which makes it sound very bad in advance.

Why not call it fov addon?

Last edited:
I really prefer the range since WOTLK but if it can't be distinguished from actual cheating then I understand why it couldn't be allowed. I wish there was some way of implementing that for all.

Camera distance and FoV are two different things. I'll borrow a nice pic from mmochamp forums.

FoV.png

I didn't mention before, but in all the screenshots I posted (both from the linked thread and the ones I made myself) the camera remains at the same distance from the character. Here are two comparisons between different values of fov in some shooters:
Example 1
Example 2

There is an added effect with higher fov besides being able to see more. Take a look at this picture and notice how the world is more curved with higher fov. I am all for this hack being allowed because the world in WoW looks less flat with higher fov.

I agree that this "fix" is pretty awesome but, imho, sadly it must be forbidden, because you can easily edit that program to do more things that just fixing the fov, and there is no certain way to prevent that. That is why it is called a "hack", because that is what it is.

I agree that this "fix" is pretty awesome but, imho, sadly it must be forbidden, because you can easily edit that program to do more things that just fixing the fov, and there is no certain way to prevent that. That is why it is called a "hack", because that is what it is.

Oh yeah lets also ban medicine because it can abused as drugs. All those close minded people at kronos are insane o_O

Last edited:
Oh yeah lets also ban medicine because it can abused as drugs. All those close minded people at kronos are insane o_O

Awful argument, because medicine has many, really, many processes that secure is perfectly safe to your body to use them in the indicated dose. In this case, like I said, there's no process that can absolutely assure this like medicines. And I don't say it just for saying it, I am a programmer myself and I know what I am talking about. Programs that modify memory use while WoW is running should be ALWAYS be forbidden (and they are easy to detect).
Furthermore, I don't know where you live, but in many countries the abuse of many medicines is illegal because they have drug effects.

Last edited:

Just because you actually have the skill/power to modify this hack and turning it into something else. We all know your evil thoughts and what u did on Feenix Zzuk. No offense but in my eyes you need to prove yourself, in order to gain my trust. (Probably doesn't matter, but still you are known for previous intentions such as exploiting and hacking.

I agree this is indeed a nice fix, but really FoV? And such a small adjusment the "real" one. For sure people will survive without this.

Top Bottom