• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Gearing up for PvP in Vanilla

Nelsha

Authorized

SUMMARY: Give players the option to grind honor points to buy pvp gear

BACKGROUND: my life, skip this if you CBA
Ok 2 minutes of background: I've played Vanilla a fair bit but never got around to raiding (was busy alt-ing and discovering the game).

I then mostly pvp'ed in BC (arena) although I enjoyed some heroics and got carried through BT/Sunwell as Boomkin towards the end of the expansion in my brothers' guild.

In WotLK I "raided" (quite easy really) Naxx 2 times before getting bored of it (Starfire, starfire, star... ZzzzZzz) and of facerolling my way to victory n my retadin in PvP.

Playtime was always an issue back then and it is even more so now that I have a busy working/family life (which I assume should be not uncommon for Vanilla players...we've aged!).

Although I like the concept of discovering raids & downing bosses as a group of friends etc. I'm afraid I just won't have the time to do any of that even though I'd love it. I'd be more after short (1-3 hours) bursts of pvp fun when I log in.

WHY?: Gearing up for PvP as a casual in Vanilla
Now from what I've seen in Vanilla it is virtually impossible to gear up decently without raiding / spending your life grinding R14.

I'm not very interested in leveling to 60 and then finding myself forever at a disadvantage in pvp because I don't have the massive free time needed to raid/grind ranks.

This was an issue recognized by Blizz as early as BC. By now you should guess what my suggestion is :)

SUGGESTION:
I'd like to have the option to grind honor points like in patch 2.0. Put whatever crazy amount of honor you want on each piece purchase price but this would actually give me and people like me a way to very slowly gear ourselves up without playing our life away. A goal to look forward to, as far as it may be, is still better than nothing!

I know it's not exactly Vanilla but it's not too far off. And judging from forum talk I don't see anybody looking back on rank grinding too fondly.

If you want to shoot down this suggestion as being not Vanilla enough please take the time to justify an alternative way for us players with limited playtime a way to gear up. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If i am not mistaken, there is no way to make honor points curency. For this, there must be some workaround, but i am prety sure, that it will displease many other players

The blue pvp gear is also very strong ,this is vanilla and blue items are still relevan unlike retail where u get shovered with epix anytime you login.

How hard/easy is the grind to full pvp blue? I also doubt you can hold your own in blues once all the raiders are on to BWL/AQ epics...

Pvp blues are very strong. Stronger then t1 or at least on par with it ..so yea you can wreck with blues pritty good,and ofc you are more skilled in pvp then the average PvEer :)

Last edited:
Roll ENG and you might rape them anyway with all these funny stuff:biggrin: atleast 1v1

I don't see how sitting in BGs 24/7 with a premade is somehow more an indication of skills than getting honor points through HKs and BG wins. Enlighten me.

Even if you are a casual gamer it should be very easy to get appropriate gear.
By the way. The most casual way to gear up IS raiding. You invest 2 evenings per week and get the most out of it.

Not sure what you've been told about vanilla, but half of it is just made up junk.
You can play competetively with minimal play time. I did the same for almost 4 years now and never had a problem. You won't have the state of the art gear of course and then again, it doesn't matter.

Get some parts of the blue PvP set and maybe some ZG, MC or just 5 man items and you are set till all eternity. At least for most classes. Would be nice to know which class you want to roll.

Last edited:
Lharts is right:) as i said this is vanilla and even blue gear is relevant, which is one of the things i like about vanilla.

WHY?: Gearing up for PvP as a casual in Vanilla
Now from what I've seen in Vanilla it is virtually impossible to gear up decently without raiding / spending your life grinding R14.

This seems to be the crux of your discussion. It's not virtually impossible to gear up decently without raids/r14 grind. The problem is that you have tried to make an objective argument (which I applaud you for) about gearing up turns into a specific rant about how competitive you can be with limited time. What you don't want us to notice (or maybe you don't notice it yourself I"m not sure) is that you then sneak into your phrase a nifty word like 'decently' which is ENTIRELY subjective. Why>? What is decent to you may not be decent to me, what is amazing to you might be horrible to me. What is efficient/effective might be slow/tedious for another.

That being the case, I think remembering the context for vanilla is key. Which It's obvious you want to slightly alter.

If you want to shoot down othis suggestion as being not vanilla enough please take the time to justify an alternative way for us players with limited playtime a way to gear up. Thanks in advance.

Here's the solution: Understand the game you're playing.

1.12 Will just not allow for people who have little time to invest into the game to keep up with the person putting in 12+ hrs a day. That's the way the game is made. You want to change the game so time isn't required, totally understandable. I wish that was the case as well for times and places when I can't play as much. But catering for people who will be less invested into the game so that the less invested can be just as effective as the people who are more invested actually makes people want to play less... and be less invested. Because the reward is negligible if time is devalued. That's the state we're in NOW with retail.

Last edited:
You can aleays try to get dungeon set 2 when it comes out,it takes some effort(like everything in vanilla) and you can do it at your own pace :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Just want to point out I didn't mean the post as a rant. I know my suggestion has little chance of passing through but I'll still be playing regardless :)

FYI I'm planning to roll Hunter as I've researched it needs less gear than other classes to be effective. I also enjoyed the playstyle quite a bit (but only rolled one when we got AS scaling off AP and Steady Shot so not sure how they are without those).

Regarding how decent I want my gear to be... I'm fine with playing at a gear disadvantage, always have. What I'd find cheap is outplaying my opponent, blowing through my cooldowns and my mana, using engi stuff whatever and STILL not land a kill because 2-shotted/insane HP/too little damage done in bursts etc.

Regarding possibility to raid... I don't know really. I live in a timezone few people live in, I'd probably only raid weekend because of the time difference. Not being a regular raider usually means you raid a lot before seeing any gear trickle your way I imagine.

In any case there were some good replies so far:

1. PvP blues
2. T0.5
3. ZG
4. Some MC maybe when most people clear it
5. AQ20?

Looking at the above gearing option would you say hunter can do decent? If not which are the classes you can/cannot play with that "gear level" ?

1. PvP blues
2. T0.5
3. ZG
4. Some MC maybe when most people clear it
5. AQ20?

If those sources are all an option for you then you can roll any class you like. If you like hunter, then go for it.
ZG and AQ20 give you enough gear to compete.

As others have said before the blue gear from PvP/ZG & AQ20 is more than adequate to compete, in that kinda gear you will only find yourself seriously undergeared when going up against people in Naxx gear and I don't think, even when Naxx comes out, that you'll see alot of people wearing that.

It's also worth noting that vanilla actually have gearing options for the very casual player through PvP, it takes a looong time to get, but there's no reputation decay and you can pretty much gear any class to near full epics by BG reputation rewards alone.

When picking a class knowing that you can't invest much time in it I would very much recommend you picking a non-hybrid class as the hybrid classes are (generally) harder to gear up, so hunter seems like a fine choice.

Back in retail vanilla all I did endgame wise was pvp. Was a lonewolf gamer back then and played WoW pretty much as a solo game. Very seldom premades and no raiding at all. Main was a rank 11 dwarf warrior.

I used full pvp blues paired up with exalted rewards from ab/wsg/AV. A setup like that will, like others have said take alot of time to get , need rank 10( can't remember if I was bg exalted before or after I hit 10) but if you really enjoy to pvp it's not a problem.

Would ofc start with pretty horrible gear but it's not a problem if you are a pvp nut. It's fun in its own way to play undergeared. You get some satisfaction from knowing you where at a disadvantage by default when you kill someone.

Rember to roll eng too , kiting with viper sting will allow you to beat a lot of class even if they overgear you.

With 5man gear you will be fine for a long time, even if kill a t2+ paladin will be close to impossible.
still you can scatter shot+trap and run away :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys, barring a couple of tryhard posters you've been very helpful.

As mentioned, I don't mind working/grinding for my gear for a long time. I just can't play in long 4+ hour sessions so need to find gear rewarded by taking part in activities that fit with this constraint.

Be seeing you in game :)

If you dont like working for your gear, go retail.

or wait until there are good guilds facerolling pve, and then join up :wink:

went from randomly assorted tier 1 and equivalents to 2.5 this way :wheelchair:

Gearing up for pvp is a time commitment in original vanilla.

This doesn't hold true for the private server scene.

Assuming MC/BWL are truly truly blizzlike, health values and all, PuGs will be 10x more accessible for the average player 5-6 months into the server. And given that consumable stacking has been fixed on this server, the amount of time farming for consumables has been greatly decreased.

Top Bottom