• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Grinding vs. Questing

Gizmo

Authorized
Hello,

I read several posts and old vanilla levelling guides and while those in-game focus on optimal quest paths a lot of guides suggest grinding as a faster levelling alternative. I do not really care about the speed, but do you consider grinding superior in terms of drops/income and perhaps the speed? Has anyone levelled Vanilla character purely on grinding and what is the experience?

Last edited:
And gain a lot of boredom. Though I admit, grinding from time to time can be quite relaxing compared to running from one continent to the other trying to find quests.

Tbh with pure grinding you will lose quite a lot of money
The opposite. Grinding gets you more money then leveling by quest as quest usually not give you much monetary rewards. Killing more mobs = more items to vendor or auction.

Plus I hate if mobs tell me what to do. Go get those 20 mushrooms yourself you twat. No, I am not running this message to Redridge for you just to find out that there is no follow up.

I do not mind the boredom really. Put on some Netflix marathon and or some music, find some decent grinding spot and go. The reasoning behind the question is my presumption that by pure grinding you might end up having more money than just by running quests.

If you throw in some dungeons along the way it seems like a viable option but I would like to hear some thoughts on that. Has anyone done that?

Hm well, when im lvling-questing/running dungeons my brain kinda turns off and I go into a state of trance. If I'd only grind I think I'd just fall asleep. :biggrin:

@ running dungeons, personally I will always run the dungeons atleast once if there's a quest for it, except for some... like Uldaman... I fk'n hate that dungeon... and people dont understand that the endboss is like lvl 48; people will start searching for it directly after Scarlet Monastery, which is 2 early. I wasted quite some time in there. I'll prolly run ZF quite a bit for those plate shoulders and BRD for HoJ. As for XP I think dungeons are fine even without quests IF u have a good group and rush through it, tho it kinda gets worse than questing if the average mob starts to get green for u. Also, u normally have to run to the dungeons +/or wait for grp members which is quite a time waste in itself.

Last edited:
Gizmo said:
The reasoning behind the question is my presumption that by pure grinding you might end up having more money than just by running quests.
Even though you will have more gold at your level and you will stock up on materials/items, logically speaking, you are losing money by grind-leveling because by questing you would reach 60 faster and you would then be able to grind more easily.

That said, I believe grinding is quite viable and pleasant if you're careful when choosing your grinding spots and I may do it myself, partially.
If I'll go for an HR after all, I am considering sticking to Human-themed areas. So, EF, Westfall, RM, running DM as much as possible, then Duskwood. Should put me close to 30 I think, which will allow me to travel to Hillsbrad Foothills and then head into Alterac and Arathi. I'll do SM a lot and grind to 39-40 while there if I have to, then go for Dustwallow Marsh before returning to do Blasted Lands, Burning Steppes (while running BRD), then complete WPL and EPL while focusing on Scholomance etc.
Will have to intersperse grinding in most zones, but the plus is that all these areas are full of Humanoids, so I'll be killing fast as a R and bank a ton of cloth. Not to mention I won't get an aneurysm by seeing to the grave 10,000 gorillas and won't have to hear the silly death scream of 20,000 raptors.

EDIT Get audiobooks.

Last edited:
It depends on a lot of things from my experience. In a lot of cases, questing will be the fastest method to leveling although grinding isn't so terrible as people make it out to be.

Early on when I first transitioned into the Barrens on Emerald Dream I found it far easier to grind outside of Crossroads from 10 until 13-14 then to proceed on the quests because I could steamroll through them. In addition to this I made a lot more money which I used to purchase myself better items. I would also do this for Thousand Needles with grinding off the centaurs, as well as Badlands grinding off the elementals.

People fail to realize that the average quest is only the equivalent to about 15 or so mobs, at least in the level 30-45 range. If your gear is good enough you can blaze through those mobs faster than the quest. Personally, I can not stand questing. It is a lot to do with my mentality. I feel quests are just too troublesome and inefficient to me so I just mindlessly grind because I feel more efficient that way. Also when I quest, I am killing EVERYTHING on the way there.

Grinding gives very comparable XP if you kill fast enough, as well as a lot more gold.

Questing can give you gear, decent XP, and access to better items down the road with not too bad of gold.

Take your pick.

Hm well, when im lvling-questing/running dungeons my brain kinda turns off and I go into a state of trance.

I know exactly what you mean. I am the same way. I will start grinding/farming and look at my phone and I have 4 unread texts and a notifications. And an hour and a half has went by and I sit there like "wow, that felt like 10 minutes."

I quest but i kill everything i see. Grind a camp when they are a level or two lower than me. Keep killing on the way to quest you you get the best of both worlds.

I quest but i kill everything i see. Grind a camp when they are a level or two lower than me. Keep killing on the way to quest you you get the best of both worlds.

This is probably the best way to do things.

However if you are strictly speaking in terms of speed then aoe grinding as a mage is the fastest it gets. Money is usually much better grinding as well. You lose the rep from questing however.

All in all, I tend to quest for hours then take a break and watch some netflixs while grinding for an hour or two. Just really depends on your playstyle

I'm having a crap time as horde around level 24-26 with questing really giving bad xp/hour, probably due to the nature of my currently available quests. I'm sure I would have leveled faster grinding somewhere. Ashenvale looks to be crappy too but let's see :)

I'm having a crap time as horde around level 24-26 with questing really giving bad xp/hour, probably due to the nature of my currently available quests. I'm sure I would have leveled faster grinding somewhere. Ashenvale looks to be crappy too but let's see :)

It is widely accepted that for 24-26 the good spot to go is the centaurs of 1k needles slightly north of town. Good wool/silk, greens, gold, grays, etc.

I'm quite confident that a hybrid of the two is the optimal choice. Questing gives you good xp and some nice rewards, while grinding will give you some nice money from junk as well as money and xp. Whenever I have a kill / drop / gather quest I usually stay there for 10 minutes or so extra to grind. Sometimes I'll even grind for an hour, this can be especially nice when grinding humanoids for cloth. You can sell the cloth or use it to level tailoring or first aid :smile:

grinding is way faster, there is only one problem - boring as fuk
u should be china robot for constant grind without mixing it with quests

Last edited:
I find I don't have the patience for grinding endlessly anymore, I might have been able to do 5 levels of grinding without a break 10 years ago but even 20 minutes of grinding bores me now :)

Top Bottom