• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Help remind me what vanilla is like, and help me choose my class

Jyash

Howdy everybody,

Jyash here, I'm excited to start playing on this server. I played a night elf hunter in vanilla (clearly, you know that I was a noob from that alone, but trust me, I was neither a dishonest nor entirely incompetent player! Although a noob certainly) and mostly alliance in vanilla.

While thinking about which class to play, I'm trying to remember some things.

Are Paladins viable tanks at all past the leveling phase? Or is holy the only way to go. I remember Ret being quite useless. Also, how good are paladin's at soloing content (such as quests, being out in the world etc.)?

Druids, if I remember correctly, can tank things up to UBRS, maybe ZG and AQ 20, but not viable in Molten Core. Am I remembering correctly?

Since I didn't play much horde back in the day, how viable are shamans in their different specs?

What seems to be lacking in dungeon and raid groups? It sounds like mostly tanks from dungeons, although there are an excess of them in raids. Also, am I hearing correctly that hunters (is this actually a vanilla server? :p ) are in high demand along with mages and warlocks? This suggests that healers are in excess.

Of course these things aren't all that matter to me, nor the most important. I just thought it would be nice to check up first.

What really draws me to a class are things like, lockpicking, kiting, levitate, slow fall, stealth, feign death, resurrection, portals, summoning, etc. A lot of the really cool niche things.

One of my favorite things in vanilla was pulling and kiting mobs, so I'm tempted to play a hunter again. But I feel like I should do something different this time around. Currently I'm most interested in playing a Druid, Paladin or Hunter. I've never really played a paladin much in any version of the game so that could be fun. Although I also think being Horde would be cool since I didn't do that much in vanilla.

I want something that can solo well, is useful in any situation or group, and is most importantly fun with interesting or nontraditional spells/abilities.

Thanks for all of your help. I know I asked a lot of questions, so feel free to just answer one or two if it so pleases you.

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention that my goal is to do the end game dungeons, big quest chains, and the earlier raids like ZG 20, BWL, MC and AQ20. But I'm going to be doing it somewhat casually. I don't necessarily plan on doing naxx or AQ 40.

Also, I like tanking, healing and dps. And I love to pvp!

Last edited:
Based on what you wrote I would suggest druid, I had fun with him. You can fill all roles outside of high tier raids. Best tank for dungeons due to aoe aggro, feral dps in pvp is unexpected, if you get to stack some strenght items from higher tier raids and the feral mace from AQ, which gives you a big enough boost where you can dps in all raids if you want, and be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

And yeah its good to start as a tank, farm up all the dungeons for healer gear, and you can respec once you got it. You get to use all 3 roles. I didnt like resto in pvp though, mostly a flag carrier. You miss all the fun, cat is the way to go, you destroy things like frost mage/rogue so easy its addicting.

Based on what you wrote I would suggest druid, I had fun with him. You can fill all roles outside of high tier raids. Best tank for dungeons due to aoe aggro, feral dps in pvp is unexpected, if you get to stack some strenght items from higher tier raids and the feral mace from AQ, which gives you a big enough boost where you can dps in all raids if you want, and be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

And yeah its good to start as a tank, farm up all the dungeons for healer gear, and you can respec once you got it. You get to use all 3 roles. I didnt like resto in pvp though, mostly a flag carrier. You miss all the fun, cat is the way to go, you destroy things like frost mage/rogue so easy its addicting.

I have to quote SeeQ, looks like druid is your class! And don't even try paladin, it's the most boring and facerolling class in WoW (even though you get a nice golden banana set...).

P.S. I'd give you a thumb up SeeQ, but I'm having some problems loading ajax.googleapis.com scripts so I can't...

What you remember you remember right.

I'm +ing for Druid, but to be boring I'll ask you questions about Paladins: they are decent leveling & 60-5mans tanks (even if lvling in Ret or Holy). They are also usually like unkillable, both in solo and wPvP. But yup, they don't have enough buttons to press, don't have a lot of "perks", and they only heal in raids.

I'm playing Horde to feel some difference too... :blushing:

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Yes I think Druid will be good as it will give me a lot of flexibility and cool perks, even though it's not the maximum most efficient class.

I was never able to really play pallys because they have few and far things cool about them except their lore. Pretty boring. =/

I've also thought about warlock too, as summoning infernals and doomguards would be fun. But overall I don't want to be stuck shadowbolt spamming xD

Are you talking about the rep mace, or a boss drop?

Thanks!

Top Bottom