• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Paladin Holy paladin lvl 60 help !!!

sibiumarius1

Hello , so i just joined vanilla wow , i have never play it , so i made a pally and i am gonna lvl as retribution my question is , when i am gonna get ding to 60 and switch to holy , how i will get my basic healing items and from where? do i need blacksmith for that ?
thank you :whistling:

There aren't enough plate armor items for healing you can get before you are raiding. So as healer you usually wear a mix of cloth, leather, heavy armor and plate. Having the ability to use items of all armor classes is a huge advantage for paladins because you can pick the best items that are in the game.
So you just farm 5 man instances for all the good stuff. You usually don't have any problems healing in greens only stacking intellect and healing. Gear you can get through quests or in the auction house. With that basic gear you start farming instances for pre-raid BiS stuff.

There are a few plate items with healing you can get without raiding.

Gallant's Wristguards First ogre guard in DM north. BiS
Belt of the Ordained See it often in the AH, I'd get definitely get that one
Whitesoul Helm Blacksmith can craft you this one. Mats for it are pretty cheap
Dawnbringer Shoulders Blacksmith can craft those too although not many have the recipe for it

I think thats about it. So you see there aren't many options you have other than using items of different armor classes.

Last edited:
There are a few plate items with healing you can get without raiding.

Gallant's Wristguards First ogre guard in DM north. BiS
Belt of the Ordained See it often in the AH, I'd get definitely get that one
Whitesoul Helm Blacksmith can craft you this one. Mats for it are pretty cheap
Dawnbringer Shoulders Blacksmith can craft those too although not many have the recipe for it

I think thats about it. So you see there aren't many options you have other than using items of different armor classes.

Those are sure plate items, and good starting items, but they do no not count as pre-raid bis. You dont want items with spirit, its just waste when it comes to holy paladins, more about stats priority you can check out this guide: http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/12884-holy-paladin-guide/

The items on my link are just better stat wise, some of those items will also last you for a very long time.

Those are sure plate items, and good starting items, but they do no not count as pre-raid bis.

I never said that they are (Gallant's Wristguards are BiS though). I just listed those few items to illustrate that there is not much healing plate around before you start raiding. I pointed out that a great advantage of paladins is that they have access to gear of all armor classes.

I never said that they are (Gallant's Wristguards are BiS though). I just listed those few items to illustrate that there is not much healing plate around before you start raiding.

And I didnt think you ment that either, I just wanted to point out that those items might not be worthy to get/spend gold on when you can get items that are better. You could ofc get those plate items, but they are not optimal for holy palas, even if they are plate.

If you skip on healing plate ? do not heal with an offhand flower,
or you can get 2 shotted by a ( 5 man ) elite.

The advantage of full plate + shield in pve is ( imo ) too great to pass.
With full plate you can bounce aggro and also off tank if the group pulls 10 mobs and half of the group dies.
Ok. If the group is systematic, careful and all know exactly what to do
you can wear a flower + skirt and stand back 100 yards from the action, at all times,
but then you might as well play resto druid instead.

If you skip on healing plate ? do not heal with an offhand flower,
or you can get 2 shotted by a ( 5 man ) elite.

The advantage of full plate + shield in pve is ( imo ) too great to pass.
With full plate you can bounce aggro and also off tank if the group pulls 10 mobs and half of the group dies.
Ok. If the group is systematic, careful and all know exactly what to do
you can wear a flower + skirt and stand back 100 yards from the action, at all times,
but then you might as well play resto druid instead.

Having a shield as a holy pala is ofc the ideal thing, but unfortunately there just isnt any shields with the right stats. Getting that offhand is prob one of the last things to get before going into raids aswell. You can get away with having a shield for 5mans, but in a raid you need all the healing stats you can get.

Paladins have one of the best defensive spells in the game, you have to play smart and utilize the spells you have to prevent getting aggro. You can use salvation on yourself before big pulls, wait for the tank to get some threat before healing. With a little help from your groupmembers and clever usage of bop and Devine shield there shouldnt be any problems.

The whole idea behind shield is that you gain easy armor to compensate any lack of it from your other gear. In other words, feel free to wear cloth as long as you wear a shield. The difference between 7000 armor and 5800 armor is not that big, but the difference between 5800 armor and 3000 armor is quite big (as in % physical damage reduction).

In PvE raids, there are two common concepts
1) You will get hit for 1000 or more damage, so having a shield means you survive more than one hit = wear shield.
2) Your tanks are elite guys who know how to play, so a monster will never suddenly start smacking your face = wear an off-hand.
So I would adjust your gameplay to the guild you raid with. As for PvP, shield is a no-brainer.

Having a shield as a holy pala is ofc the ideal thing, but unfortunately there just isnt any shields with the right stats. Getting that offhand is prob one of the last things to get before going into raids aswell. You can get away with having a shield for 5mans, but in a raid you need all the healing stats you can get.

As a long-time raider with a shield, I can definitely confirm that your statement is false :wink: Since we're talking pre-raid, shield with the right stats means a shield with mp5, intellect or +healing. Pick your poison. The first one can be obtained solo and I dare say it's much faster than AV exalted flowers.

Paladins have one of the best defensive spells in the game, you have to play smart and utilize the spells you have to prevent getting aggro. You can use salvation on yourself before big pulls, wait for the tank to get some threat before healing. With a little help from your groupmembers and clever usage of bop and Devine shield there shouldnt be any problems.

Let's just say that it sounds like you never ran Scholomance with a random group on Kronos :tongue:

The whole idea behind shield is that you gain easy armor to compensate any lack of it from your other gear. In other words, feel free to wear cloth as long as you wear a shield. The difference between 7000 armor and 5800 armor is not that big, but the difference between 5800 armor and 3000 armor is quite big (as in % physical damage reduction).

Let's just say that it sounds like you never ran Scholomance with a random group on Kronos
tongue.gif

That is true, Ive never ran scholomance on Kronos, however Ive got a lot of experiance as holy pala from playing on other servers. From my own experiance I havnt got any problems with running without a shield for most of the time.

As a long-time raider with a shield, I can definitely confirm that your statement is false :wink: Since we're talking pre-raid, shield with the right stats means a shield with mp5, intellect or +healing. Pick your poison. The first one can be obtained solo and I dare say it's much faster than AV exalted flowers.

I dont see how my statement is wrong, no mather how you look at it, This is still better statwise than any of the shields you have linked. As a long-time raider I bet you are aware of the importance of switching gear for each specific scenario in raids, if you know you will take more damage you simply equip the right gear for it.

I dont see how my statement is wrong, no mather how you look at it
As a long-time raider I bet you are aware of the importance of switching gear for each specific scenario in raids, if you know you will take more damage you simply equip the right gear for it.
Okay, let's break it down.

Having a shield as a holy pala is ofc the ideal thing, but unfortunately there just isnt any shields with the right stats.
I linked three shields with stats that a fresh 60 healing pally is looking for - healing, intel and mp5. And I didn't mention any raiding shields like Red Dragonscale Protector, that means there are shields with the right stats, which makes your statement false.
You can get away with having a shield for 5mans, but in a raid you need all the healing stats you can get.
You can still heal well without anything equipped in your offhand at all! Currently I'm raiding as a hybrid spec, allowing me to switch into retri gear and add some extra DPS when we have too many healers. I haven't configured an Itemrack/wardrobe yet, so I often forget to swap a piece of gear and I'm missing 5% holy crit from talents. And it's not like the raid will fail because I don't have that extra 5 crit or extra healing bonus from a forgotten piece of equipment. So, no, you don't need all the healing stats you can get, that is very relative to the group you raid with. In general, awareness and knowledge of bosses is much more important than your offhand.

This is still better statwise than any of the shields you have linked.
It lacks armor :wink:

Last edited:
I linked three shields with stats that a fresh 60 healing pally is looking for - healing, intel and mp5. And I didn't mention any raiding shields like Red Dragonscale Protector, that means there are shields with the right stats, which makes your statement false.

You linked 3 shields, all of them are lacking either healing, int or mp5. You cant combine them and get each of all the stats, right? :). Ofc there is good shields you get from raids but we were talking about shields pre-raid? Best shield drops from Kel'thusad and next best is an offhand from Sapphiron, thats just how it goes. There will be offhands that are better than shields, and shields thats better than offhands.

So, no, you don't need all the healing stats you can get, that is very relative to the group you raid with. In general, awareness and knowledge of bosses is much more important than your offhand.

Awareness and knowledge is indeed important, but in raids where you going for progression all the stats you can get do matter. If you do have everything on farm however, it not that big of a deal. Theres a lot of bosses where theres simply no way you will get aggro/take physical damage, so having that extra armor just becomes useless.

You linked 3 shields, all of them are lacking either healing, int or mp5. You cant combine them and get each of all the stats, right? :).
Yeah, so what? You yourself recommended him that
you should try to just get items with +healing, int and mp5.
The point here is, next post, you tell a new player that "there is no good shield", which is not true.
Ofc there is good shields you get from raids but we were talking about shields pre-raid? Best shield drops from Kel'thusad and next best is an offhand from Sapphiron, thats just how it goes. There will be offhands that are better than shields, and shields thats better than offhands.
Now you said yourself that there are good shields, then I don't get why would you tell a player this:
unfortunately there just isnt any shields with the right stats.
:blink:

Theres a lot of bosses where theres simply no way you will get aggro/take physical damage, so having that extra armor just becomes useless.
Panthers, Backstab and possibly even Whirlwind on High Priest Arlokk?
Charge from Mandokir, Mar'li, Jeklik, Thekal?
Mindcontrolled raid member at Lucifron or Hakkar?
Unbanished minion of Garr?
Skeleton Drakonids on Nefarian?

There are so many ways to take physical damage I can't even remember them all.
in raids where you going for progression
Especially in raids where you are going to progress, the kill won't be flawless, there will be mistakes, and the chance something smashes your face is that much higher than on a farm raid.

Yeah, so what? You yourself recommended him that
The point here is, next post, you tell a new player that "there is no good shield", which is not true.

Now you said yourself that there are good shields

The OT wanted to know how and where to get his starting healing gear. Ive been talking about pre-raid gear all along, I dont know why you suddenly start talking about shields you can get in raids. I havnt said that good healing shields doesnt exist, but for pre-raid there isnt any. You are taking stuff out of context, which makes it hard to argue with anything you say

if you know you will take more damage you simply equip the right gear for it.

As Ive said, you equip the right gear. Bosses like that you should equip a shield, but then its not about healing. Its more about adapt yourself for that bossfight, same goes for having resistance gear, stamina gear etc.

Panthers, Backstab and possibly even Whirlwind on High Priest Arlokk?
Charge from Mandokir, Mar'li, Jeklik, Thekal?
Mindcontrolled raid member at Lucifron or Hakkar?
Unbanished minion of Garr?
Skeleton Drakonids on Nefarian?

There are so many ways to take physical damage I can't even remember them all.

You can also easily avoid taking damage on some of those bosses. I cba to list all the bosses where you cant take any physical damage, Kurinaxx, General Rajaxx, Moam, Rangaros, Vaelastasz, Patchwerk are a few. Most fights where you might get aggro are just so easy to avoid damage by just using bubble.

It does not matter anyway really. Depending on the situation you can switch to another off-hand item anyway. The shields may not have better stats than some other off-hand items but they have armor, which makes them a better choice in some situations. That's why I usually carry both around.

Top Bottom