• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Rogue How to max Lockpicking

Rinde

Hi all - this is a short guide for everyone don't know how to lvl lockpicking fast.
I have tips for both horde and alliance to get your lockpicking from 1-300 pretty easy. Having it at 300 is the best thing because you don't need to worry about keys for doors, there are exceptions though. Since the keyring was added keys don't take up space, but you could still pick a lock before you get the key, like the searing gorge key.

In addition to the steps below, make sure you pickpocket any humanoids that you can, hopefully they'll drop chests. If you can't open it up then save it for when you are at that skill so you have a fast boost. There is also footlockers in various locations that you can use for skill ups.

You can also sit in town and open boxes for people. You don't get much business this way but it does help you level for free.

Levels:

All lockpicking levels listed below are when the item first becomes "orange", you may pick the locks on them until it is no longer beneficial to do so (turns grey, better options, etc)

Junkboxes
Battered Junkbox - 25
Worn Junkbox - 100
Sturdy Junkbox -175
Heavy Junkbox - 250
Strong Junkbox - 300

Lockboxes
Ornate Bronze Lockbox - 60
Heavy Bronze Lockbox - 75
Iron Lockbox - 85
Heavy Iron Lockbox - 125
Steel Lockbox - 180
Reinforced Steel Lockbox - 225
Mithril Lockbox - 225
Thorium Lockbox - 225
Eternium Lockbox - 225

Doors
Gnomeregan - 150
Scarlet Monastery - 175
Searing Gorge Gate - 225
Blackrock Depths - 280
Scholomance - 280
Dire Maul - 300

Footlockers
Bit unsure about the final levels overall - plz give some confirmation.

Hillsbrad Foothills - Durnholde Keep - 75?
Redridge Mountains - Lake Everstill - 75?
Ashenvale Forest - Zoram Strand - 75?
Stonetalon Mountains - Windshear Crag and Associated Mines - 75?
Wetlands - Murloc Camps - 100?
Desolace - Sar'theris Strand - 175?
Badlands - Angor Fortress 175?
Swamp of Sorrows - Pool of Tears - 200?
Searing Gorge - 200?
Tanaris Desert - Lost Rigger Cove - 225?
Azshara - Bay of Storms - 275?
Eastern Plaguelands - Tyr's Hand - 275?

Step 1 : (About 1-75) Do the Initial Rogue lockpicking quest

Horde:
This entails feeding a parrot a cracker close to ratchet, then unlocking the chests on the boat. You want to do this until the chests are grey to you, and ya, its going to take a while.

Alliance:
You're going to go to the tower in Lakeshire and open them up until they're grey to you as well.

Step 2 : (About 75-175) Poison Quest

Horde:
Little known trick, while doing this quest in the NW barrens in the Venture Co. area is a chest at the top of a tower... Repeat what you did in Step 1. Open that chest until it goes grey... That'll help get you passed or up to 175

Alliance:
Similar to Horde. While in the tower at Westfall keep opening the chest at the top until you reach about 175. May be hard if the boss aggro's you so bring a friend or level up. The chest will curse you every time you open it so if you do this after the initial quest you have to get a cleanse.

Step 3 : (About 175-250) Scarlet Monestary (see step 4 if to hard)

Horde and Alliance:
You can first start with unlocking the door into the instances but this can only be done about every 10 minutes per door. If you don't wait then it doesn't count as skill up. So just pick them then run into the Cathedral. Jump into the left locked door and into the cathedral instance. Sneak up, or run if you can avoid being aggro'd, and pick the cathedral door then run out and reset. If you find you are too low to start on the door because you are too lazy, jump into the first instance and pickpocket everything in there. This is of course, making sure you have your stealth maxed to avoid detection. You can repeat that as many times as needed, but if you followed step 1 and 2, the cathedral door will get you to 250. This step can take longer than when I originally did it since you can only reset an instance 5 times an hour.

Step 4 : (About 250-280) Pickpocketed Boxes or Various Footlockers

Horde and Alliance:
Like mentioned at the top, when you pickpocket mobs and they drop boxes you can't open yet, save them and when you can open them you'll get a big fast boost. Once I opened up the SM doors to 250 I had heavy lockboxes I used and got 20 free points. Pickpocket and lockpick them until your heart is content. Although SM is more effective cause of the respawn, it is better then getting pummled by elite's. You also want to go around to zones that are within your level range and find footlockers.

Step 5 : (About 280-300) Black Rock Depths

Horde and Alliance:
All you have to do now is lockpick inside BRD until 300. What you do is go into BRD and turn left and open up the 3 doors. Rinse and Repeat until 300. You get a max of 3 skill ups per run.

There you go and congrats 300 Lockpicking!

Last edited:
Hillsbrad Foothills - Durnholde Keep
I just got 175 from a Battered Footlocker there. Was green at 174.
Great place to skill up, since there are 5 footlockers there and not that far apart.
Mobs are 20-ish humans.

Also, keep trying until you get the skill up. Then loot the footlocker.

Desolace, Sar'Theris Strand
Out in the water. Around loc 37,20 there are air bubbles. They instantly refresh breath 100%. But I guess being undead makes all this swimming around alot less troublesome.
To the west is a flat area with a couple of waterlogged boxes.
To the south is an underwater ruin with several waterlogged boxes.

L33-ish nagas are swimming around.

Waterlogged were green at skill 224.

I found this map really helpful

locknodes.png

Attachments

• locknodes.jpg
    locknodes.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Top Bottom