• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Hunter Hunter dps in raid environment

Szabinger

I don't know it it has been discussed before, but I'm curious how do hunters perform in raids regarding dps. I was a tank back in vanilla so I have no idea about this, but I'm considering rolling a hunter, and somewhere someone mentioned that hunters are basically TQ shot/kite bots, since their dps sucks.

I wouldn't say their dps really sucks but pre Naxx/AQ40 don't expect to be top 5.
Your mana runs out quite quickly so you have to FD+drink a lot and you simply do not have the uptime nor the sustainable dps a Lock/Mage has.

But I think its an excellent PvP class though.

I wouldn't say their dps really sucks but pre Naxx/AQ40 don't expect to be top 5.
Your mana runs out quite quickly so you have to FD+drink a lot and you simply do not have the uptime nor the sustainable dps a Lock/Mage has.

What changes after AQ40 that makes their dps more viable?

Better gear I guess, but as I remember it(been a long time:p) they still don't catch up to mages, locks, rogues and dps warriors. But dmg isn't all that matters, most classes have other assignments on many fights, that often far outweigh the importance of their dps. Compete with the other hunters if you're competitive like that:)

There's absolutely no reason to FD and drink. You should be popping mana pots and demonic runes, and even mana regen consumables to keep 100% uptime on your rotation.

If you have pre raid bis there are no mana problems at all with proper consumables. And if you can do your rotation well you can be top 5-10. On some fights like Shazzrah you can be #1.

Last edited:
Hunters come online once you get one or more in full T2.

The 8 piece for T2 puts a debuff on the boss that increases the Ranged Attack Power of all attackers on the boss by 450. That essentially increases the DPS of all hunters on that target by 25% or more for 7 seconds. The proc rate is fairly high and with one hunter it's supposed to be up for around 30% of any boss fight.

Once you get more hunters in full T2 the up-time increases AND they can stack.

If guilds know what they're doing they will funnel two or more hunters T2 so that they get that 8 piece as fast as possible. Once you have 2 or more hunters with it, if your hunters know what they're doing, they should be able to top DPS in almost any fight because they have an aggro wipe.

Hunters don't need armor from AQ, and even in Naxx you would make a couple hunters stay in full T2 for a long time because the buff is that huge.

Btw hunters in peenix are different from retail , thats why they are Tranq bots in peenix , they just cant fix class dps and its to low by alot . Here was a post about that , but im to lazy to look for it :D

http://www.wowhead.com/item=22194/black-grasp-of-the-destroyer
Classic Stats:
Black Grasp of the Destroyer
Equip: +28 Attack Power.
Equip: Improves your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.
Equip: On successful melee or ranged attack gain 8 mana and if possible drain 8 mana from the target.

Hunters weren't especially bad or especially good before this item. After getting this item and then picking up the right pieces of gear, their DPS is within the "acceptable" range.

Note: Using FD+Drink is quite frankly, almost never acceptable.

On Aimed Shot & Multi-Shot.
Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): This ability now has its attack power normalized the same as melee instant attacks. This means that the attack power contribution from all ranged weapons will be the same, no matter what their speed. All weapons will contribute attack power as if they were 2.8 speed. Weapons slower than 2.8 speed will do slightly less damage than previously; weapons faster than 2.8 speed will do slightly more damage.

Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): Multi-Shot - This ability now has its attack power normalized the same as melee instant attacks. This means that the attack power contribution from all ranged weapons will be the same, no matter what their speed. All weapons will contribute attack power as if they were 2.8 speed. Weapons slower than 2.8 speed will do slightly less damage than previously; weapons faster than 2.8 speed will do slightly more damage.

This means using Aimed Shot and Multi Shot with a fast weapon will deal similar damage to a slow weapon. It's not exactly the same thing, there are some differences which I won't go into.

However, this approximately means using a faster ranged weapon should produce more damage, both because you have more mana from BGD and therefore use more shots or higher ranked shots, and because you proc Improved Aspect of the Hawk more often, which means your DPS is noticeably increased by the Haste it grants.

Until you pickup BGD, slower weapons may yield higher DPS. But you won't have the mana to use AS and MS every 10 seconds until you pick up a decent bit of gear that supports the rotation.

And of course, it's all dependent upon if you can keep your pet alive or not.

Edit: And on DS8, it's true that it provides a very good amount of DPS for a very long time, that having at least 2 Hunters with the full equipped set is a very good DPS increase that would last until some combination of BGD+T3 is opened with specific weapon choices to boot. So, yeah DS8 is definitely "the" armor set for an extremely long period of time, for at least half of your raid's Hunters.

Last edited:
i was planing go play resto shaman....but on beta have too many...think to change with some relaxing pick...like hunter... :smile:

As I remember Hunters did pretty good in MC & BWL. Nothing is resisting our attacks (except arcane shot which we don't use) or no glancing blows.

After BWL the melee and casters are getting much better gear that gives them tools to fight the resists and glancing blows. Also AQ40 don't have as many resists as BWL & MC.

So in AQ40 other classes are getting a slight advantage but not that bad yet.. but IIRC in Naxx Hunters are falling behind.. especially melee is scaling much higher with high dps weapons from Naxx.

Hunters will be using Ashrje'thul Xbow from BWL for a long time because it has slow attackspeed which just is best dps for hunters (cast speed of aimed shot).

About mana problems.. as an Alliance hunter I didn't suffer so much about it thanks to Blessing of Wisdom and Judgement of Wisdom. Mana pots, demonic runes and felwood consumables help here. Also using the mp5 food is preferable (nightfin soup iirc).

Top Bottom