• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Hunter vs Warlock

AndrewFromHD

Hey guys! Just came back to Kronos and I wonder which class should I play on now, because the new realm opened. I'm really struggling to choose between hunter and warlock in both pve and pvp bg/open world. Can you tell me which one would be better between these two?

When I created my warlock I was sort of torn between the same decision. I like pet classes, so naturally these were my top picks to start my vanilla experience anew. In the end, though, I decided to look down the road to which I would enjoy more during end game. Both offer a great deal of utility to raids, but if my (admittedly fading) memory serves me correctly, warlocks produce more DPS than hunters. I may be wrong, and I'm sure if I am then I will find that last sentence quoted and thoroughly flamed, but that's what I remember and that's what made me lean towards warlock for my first character.

Even though warlocks do better damage and are beneficial in any raid, I have seen many good guilds lacking hunters in the past 4 years. A warlock is easier to replace than a hunter.

Both have great Xv1 potential in pvp.

However I played a hunter until lvl 40 on K2 and I noticed a few issues. Due to the server lag (which may not be there anymore) I was having issues with feign death / trap macros not working properly. The part of the macro to set trap after fd would take too long to be useful against a quick opponent.

Also, I kept having problems with my pet disengaging target after chasing. If for example my opponent tried to run from me and I had pet on him, the pet would regularly stop chasing and return to me even though I never told it to.

I never had these issues on retail vanilla.

I cannot speak for warlock bugs.

Go for Warlock. You are PvP-god.

As a Hunter you are just roadkill.

Not quite true tbh...
PvE wise, Lock and Hunter stand almost ins the same category utility.
Remember that apart from healthstones and portals, only 1 lock maybe will be assigned to land a curse due to debuff slot cap (talking about raid not just UBRS runs).
Also Lock will have to compete with the rest of cloth users for gear in all of his slots.
Hunter on the other hand is more of a support class than a true dps as it is in after TBC era.
Hunter is kinda single class use gear in terms of ranged weapons (armor also if you're alliance), but with crappy itemization.
Therefore they're almost equally needed in raids and both are under presented in the max level.

PvP wise...well that's an entirely different story.
Everything depends if we are talking about solo or group play.
I'll just state the solo play, since if you are in a premade, most likely you'll trump the enemy random team.

Warlock is more affected than Hunter in low level gear and therefore more easy to shutdown (even if specked as SL for better survivability).
Fear has his up but downs also, which might end up braking after the very first tick, also you have to take in mind WoTF (if ally) and spam dispel / cleanse / fear ward (if horde).

Hunter on the other hand is more straight forward as you're not that much affected from dispels etc but has the dead zone drawback.
Without lag and proper FD - trap macro can avoid some nasty situations.
Flare is also a nice utility safe zone against rogues + Mark can make a difference.

If you manage to get some high content gear (or craft / get the equivalent of ZG / tier 0.5 gear) you will have equally fun play with both.

Just stating that neither of both is PvP-god...

Last edited:
Play whatever you prefer more. In PVP warlock is Cloth-Caster-Pet-Dot-Control-Quick Burst-type and hunter is Mail-Long Range-Quick Burst-Control-Kite-Pet-type.
Tbh I think in general you can say that hunters are more agile and more cooldown dependent (aimed shot + multi shot combo) while warlocks are more static but have a more constant dps output due to dots.

Dont make a hunter. There is a known bug that your pet might get bugged and lost all skills. Even the ones it had when it was tamed. GMs won't fix this for you either, so basically if you're unlucky enough you must get a new pet couple times in a week. (I lost my pet's skills twice in couple days, and what makes it even more sore is that I rather not camp Broken Tooth again)

Top Bottom