• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Hunter I don't understand PvP as Hunter

Petroix

Hello.

At the beginning I would like to say that it is 100% serious topic and I would be grateful for serious discussion, because I need help. So to the point.

I don't know why, maybe it's not a class for me, maybe I don't understand/don't know something or I have to play more, idk. Anyway I picked Hunter and I really like it but.. except PvP. I don't know how to kill anything in PvP or at least survive, I'm around 40lvl now. This class looks for me like a class for tryhards, completly useless, bugged and dying in few seconds if someone gets to your death zone. The only way to be good as Hunter is to play like pro player machine. This is my feeling and I will try to explain better.

I know as hunter I should stay away and even kite (although it also makes me feel this class is worse than others because if someone gets to me = death, hunter is like a paper. Mages, Warlocks, Priests etc. are cloths and they should keep distance too but they have more cc, kind of defensive skills so they can handle it unlike Hunter. If I get CC any slow - I'm fucked. I don't have any skill to even try escape from close combat. It looks like type of class - better kill him faster or you will be killed. Ok and now everyone thinks about Freezing Trap. And this is another reason why I think this class is for tryhards and machines. I have to time and calculate everything perfectly in miliseconds to not get raped because I'm a paper. I have only one trap to save my life and I have to count it will work (they can also resist it lol). But tbh I don't even know for what this trick with FD + Freezing Trap is used. It gives nothing it just stops my enemy. When it ends he will beat me up, cc me and enter my death zone again and again and again. I can just start shooting from distance at the beginning of the fight, don't need a trap. If he can get me anyway, he will do that also when my trap effect will end. This trap isn't much helpful for me it just creates a situation like the one before a fight - I have distance but not for long..

I found simillar topic on internet http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/7712-hunter-pvp-somethings-not-right/ and after reading some tips below, I think even more now that it is a weak class and only pro player machine can be good playing it (I'm not talking about full geared Hunter 2 shooting everyone). I would like to continue playing it because it's my main on Kronos and I enjoy it but except PvP. I don't know what to do, just tell me what you think about it. Thanks.

Tell that to the hunters who Aimed Shot me and then put down a freezing trap at the end of the cast.

PvPing as a hunter in BG's is a big learning curve, you need to be aware of the eviorment around you and take advantage of it where possible, ext: hiding on a hill and shooting through the ground. As a hunter don't waste your time with pallys and warriors(unless your able to kite them). Stalk your pray from behind when possible and aimed>auto>multi>auto>slow then arcan when up if needed. Rogues, put a serpent sting on them ASAP and Hunter Mark. Mainly stalk cloth classes, if they're running away from you throw a viper sting on them and don't run after them. When ever your out of combat always have a trap down, drink and eat.

Staying your distance and knowing when to stop running after someone is the key cause half the time the player will try to lure you to more players. I find if you put a hunter mark on another player they will start looking for you and likely run away giving your element of suprise up not to add it chews up your mana quickly.

if you don't already make a FD+Trap macro(google it), if a player starts comming near you use scattershot, fd+trap then get distance, hunter Mark, and aimed shot,multi,slow.

play around with different pets, bores can charge and stun, zg bats don't shrink in size making it difficult for the other player to click on you, every pet has their ups and downs.

I didn't play BG's yet cuz i'm still leveling. I thought more about 1vs1 fights, duels and world pvp. I can't imagine duels and not escaping from duel area as a hunter. How can I fight vs melee on such small area? And as BM Hunter I don't have aimed or scatter I really can't do anything in PvP while leveling. Ofc there are PvP talent trees and PvE but even PvE trees for other classes are better in PvP than for Hunter so they can manage somehow unlike Hunter. I don't have any defensive skills, nothing to escape from slows etc. Hunter for me looks like "go full agi and try to kill him first or die" because I can't survive with this class. Casters don't have death zone, Hunter has, casters have more CC's and more useful abilities for PvP imo so how Hunter can catch up in PvP without such skills?

Well 95% of world pvp is just ganking so if you sneak up behind on someone you can unload some serious damage apon them. If someone is coming up on you best you can do is put your pet on them, blow your cool downs and kite. Try to carry health pots as they can save your life. If you manage to trap a player and you don't have a dot on you then bandage yourself right away then throw a mark on them if you haven't already. If a faster is casting use FD right before they're finishing casting their spell so they have to retarget and recast.

As a lower lvl hunter, you can use Intimidation as a hunter to CC. What you want to do as a hunter is to shoot first. If you serpent sting a rogue, they can't stealth and if you shoot a warrior, they can't charge (only intercept).

FD+Trap is very useful at later lvls, if you spec into MM. If you can freeze trap a clothie, and do aimed shot -> auto -> multishot you can sometimes be lucky and kill them straight up. I found it harder to PvP at 60 than while leveling, but maybe that's just me.

Use Aspect of the Monkey when in melee, and wingclip them, run away, concussive shot and gain distance again. Also, you'll want a melee macro with raptorstrike and mongoose bite both bound.

Hunters aren't that intuitive to PvP as, but if you do it right, you can frustrate alot of clothies. You want to prep properly when fighting with traps, etc.

My name is Kroel in-game (Horde). Just ask any questions IG you play horde. GL!

Hunters are 1 of the best in pvp against rogues.Only spriest/hunters counter rogues best.

Be creative and use the skills needed.I understand your problem,hunters dont even have a silence or interupt to break casters.warriors having charges and pummel,rogues with kick etc..

To be honest as a hunter,u should be killing melee's easily compared to casters.

U have wing clip wih no cooldown,basically a perma slow to target,flare+hunters mark to counter rogues,kite them with conc shot+aspect of cheetah.Fd+trap-->aimed shot+multishot and if aim crits then they will be dead.When a hunter is geared it can reach insane dmg with agi stack.I havent even mentioned the insane dodge.
U must practice and chain skills.

Literally,Scatter shot-->FD-->Trap-->get distance and do aim shot with multi and non crit it will take 60%+hp down.

Yes I use Intimidation and I made some macros etc. I think I use properly all skills but I just feel a need to have some additional skills that Hunter doesn't have like Blessing of Freedom maybe or Ice Block/Blink or you know what I mean. Something that would help me in situation when Rogue/Warrior/Druid Feral attack me first and I have to get some distance from them. The problem is that they can slow or stun me too. Even if I use Wing Clip they can stop me too from running away and I have no skills to leave from slow/stun.

Anyway thanks for tips I think I'll just try to play more and get more practice. I have one more question because I don't understand that trick with Scatter->FD->Trap at the beginning of the fight. Why don't just open with aim->multi etc. and save FD+Trap for later? If I see a guy far away I would just attack him from distance instead of rushing to him with Scatter->FD->Trap and again get some distance and start attacking what I could do before that trick with Scatter->FD->Trap.

In your 2nd paragaraph u are correct.That is what u do.Hunters are insane when geared and have money for swiftness and free action potions.

U need gear.Stack agi.Agi is your main stat followed by sta and then int.

Aimed shot is the cookie cutter skill for hunters,same goes for shadow bolt for lock,frost/fire bolt for mages etc...

If a rogue opens on u,trinket their kidney and then FD folowed by trap.Get distance and aim shot in to multi+arcane shot and he should be close to dead.

If u are slowed,u have 4 ways to get out of it.1-free action potion before hand.2-Trinket.3-Fd in to trap.4-scatter shot in to fd and trap.
U also have wyvern sting if specced in to it or intimidation.

This should help u.I was a rank 12 nelf hunt on Nost before closing down.Key thing is PACE.U must be fast.U will loose duel if u dont trap them unless u survival.

Also on low level pvp u can use serphant sting but higher level pvp it is a DONT.It breaks your trap.U use viper sting on caster and scorpid on melee.

As a lower lvl hunter, you can use Intimidation as a hunter to CC. What you want to do as a hunter is to shoot first. If you serpent sting a rogue, they can't stealth and if you shoot a warrior, they can't charge (only intercept).

FD+Trap is very useful at later lvls, if you spec into MM. If you can freeze trap a clothie, and do aimed shot -> auto -> multishot you can sometimes be lucky and kill them straight up. I found it harder to PvP at 60 than while leveling, but maybe that's just me.

Use Aspect of the Monkey when in melee, and wingclip them, run away, concussive shot and gain distance again. Also, you'll want a melee macro with raptorstrike and mongoose bite both bound.

Hunters aren't that intuitive to PvP as, but if you do it right, you can frustrate alot of clothies. You want to prep properly when fighting with traps, etc.

My name is Kroel in-game (Horde). Just ask any questions IG you play horde. GL!
Hello kroel

Lots of good info for end game, thanks :smile:

Anyway back to leveling matter because I want to play PvE and PvP both. Is this possible or better play PvP after I "fulfill" myself in PvE?

I also like some PvP while leveling because I don't rush to 60. And while leveling my BM Hunter I have a feeling he's weak because of things I listed above. You gave me really nice tips but for 60 MM Hunter so how would it look in case of low level BM Hunter? How you said Hunter needs money and good gear, potions and some PvP items are recommended too and as BM you have no Aimed and no Scatter that's why I think it's extremely hard, am I right, what you think?

I'm kind of surprised you're having this much trouble in PvP. I leveled a hunter in vanilla and played it on Ed Peenix and I always thought it was one of the strongest pvp classes. (Especially while leveling.) FD+trap gives you a chance to kite any melees and most casters won't last long enough to cast 3 spells.

Not trying to be a dick or say you're bad and I am an undisputed master ofHunters but while leveling I would sometimes feel bad for enemy players since I could just start kiting them and that meant game ovlll

Freezing trap is currently broken in pvp since it doesn't last it's full duration. It won't outlast hamstring for example.

Maybe he would also like to have 40 second saps and polymorphs as was the norm in early vanilla

Top Bottom