• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Priest Inner Fire & Shield

AgentMulder

Authorized
My understanding of our shields is that they absorb X amount of damage that would have been done to you taking into account all armor, resistance and modifiers (such as Inner Fire which buffs armor). So if something hits for 100 but after armor, resistance and modifiers only 60 of that is actual damage...the shield absorbs 60 damage (not 100).

It makes sense then that we would want to keep Inner Fire up as much as possible and even further...kinda makes Improved Inner Fire more attractive right? Simply because that would negate even more damage and prolong the life of the shield. Not to mention that when the shield is up...Inner Fire charges are not consumed (but the modifier is still contributing to what the shield absorbs).

Am I correct in assuming these mechanics?

Last edited:
You are correct about the mechanics, your interpretation depends on the setting. In PvE it's a waste of mana, in PvP you may be right.

Only devs can answer you this properly.
Shield will not be affected by resistance or armor cause technically the shield will prevent the damage from even reaching you. Damage to your shield is therefor always 1:1.

You said yourself that Inner Fire charges are not consumed when beeing hit while shielded. So it seems like shields are taken into consideration before armor calculation.

Should be easy to find out with high shadow resistance and dots that would barely destroy the shield. If it always manages to break it then you have your answer.

Even if you're correct, putting 3 points in inner fire makes no sense unless you're in a Power Infusion build. The points are much better spent elsewhere in either deep Holy or Shadow builds.

Naice said:
You are correct about the mechanics, your interpretation depends on the setting. In PvE it's a waste of mana, in PvP you may be right.

So the shield does last longer taking into consideration all modifiers?

Lharts said:
Only devs can answer you this properly. Shield will not be affected by resistance or armor cause technically the shield will prevent the damage from even reaching you. Damage to your shield is therefor always 1:1.

You said yourself that Inner Fire charges are not consumed when being hit while shielded. So it seems like shields are taken into consideration before armor calculation.

Should be easy to find out with high shadow resistance and dots that would barely destroy the shield. If it always manages to break it then you have your answer.

I thought this too but there are posts on the old Nost forums that shield does benefit from all modifiers. I have no idea how it worked back in 2006 retail so I have no comparison or any way to prove/deny how it should work.

I will have a friend duel me several times, testing different things out and will report my results back here in a couple of days once I can get back into the game.

Gardash said:
Even if you're correct, putting 3 points in inner fire makes no sense unless you're in a Power Infusion build. The points are much better spent elsewhere in either deep Holy or Shadow builds.

I thought this was implied but...this would be for a deep Disc PvP build, which I'm told is something that becomes viable with gear (in vanilla). I wouldn't personally ever take Imp Inner Fire in any kind of PvE build.

Hoping to test and have results soon as to what contributes and what doesn't.

Top Bottom