• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid LF Pre-AQ bis

I use a google doc spreadsheet I found on the nostalrius forums. Might be useful, it has gear for feral, resto, and also tanking. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wGBasFY8fFGpBtiD1TAUBB99wxboCSVh5MW_6b_z0oU/pubhtml#
Sadly, no boomkin stuff, but there are a few good sources out there. Generally for boomkin gear, you want hit (<8%) Crit = hit (>8%) > Spellpower > Mp5. Crit scales exponentially with boomkins' spellpower, so usually by the time you can amass 8% hit you have decent spellpower as well. The more hit you can gather the better, however. The small stats aren't worth nearly as much as the other important ones, but any int helps, as well as spirit. Some good pieces to start out with are bloodvine, the UBRS turban, and Zandalarian Hero Charm along with the UBRS reed

The value of crit for boomkins is a double edged sword. It is indeed incredible value for dps but it makes you go oom that much quicker, you can have all the crit in the world but its useless if you go oom half way in the fight.

pvp on the other hand...

made some calculations some time ago, hit (e.g. bloodvine) is better for moonkins, because their crit coefficient is 1,5 and not >2

U didnt notice Vengeance talent or what?

Even with Nature's Grace and Vengeance Hit > Crit for Boomkins. Why? Well, if you cast wrath after you got the proc, you have 1s cast time and then have to wait 0,5s for the global cooldown to finish. If you cast Starfire instead, you will get from 3s cast time to 2,5s cast time, which is 1/6 (16,7%) more damage compared to a 3s Starfire. But: This faster starfire still can miss and you need to have 6 crit procs to get the same effect as 1% hit (you miss one spell less = 100% more damage on one spell).

CASE A
Now apply that to a standard 2 minutes boss fight. 120s fight length / 3s cast time = 40 spells. Now let's assume you're buffed and have 32% crit, 88% hit. Then you get an average of 11 crits (casts*crit*hit = 40*0.32*0.88), which equals 1.83 more starfires (which also can miss) from the casting speed talent.
With 88% hit you will hit 35 Starfires (casts*hit=40*0.88) of the 40.

So you loose 5 Starfires and gain 1.83 extra starfires.

CASE B
You still cast 40 starfires in the 120s If you now replace 4% crit on your gear by 4% hit you will get 92% hit and 28% crit. Therefore you will have (40*0,92*0,28) 10 crits, which is 1.66 more starfires.
But you've got 4% more hit now and will hit 37 (40*0,92) of your spells instead of 35 the from the example before. So you lost only 0,17 starfires because you reduced crit, but you gained 2 more starfires from increasing hit by 4%.

Just do the math with casts*hit*crit to see how many extra starfires you will get and casts*hit to see how many starfires will hit. Ofc you also have to count crits as "double normal hits" (cause it does 2x damage) and in the end count which hit/crit combo makes most "normal hits", but with these formulas you can do it.

Roughly got what I tried to say?

Last edited:
Yes, i did. Guess you sort of papper warrior. On practice, i am raiding with 12% chance to hit (required minimum) and 13% chance to crit (including basic druid crit and form) unbuffed and feel myself comfortble. Without massive crit we just cant get even close to mages average damage with cheating ignites or warlocks sick scaling. Only thing that bothers me hard right now is partial resistances, that what i am working at right now - to figure out how much spell pen do we need. 20 is not enough. Now add spell pen to your math, make a list of viable gear and you will see that its just impossible to hold spell hit cap, 30+ spell pen and spell crit on decent level. Also dont forget about long fights like Cthun or Razoregore or Twins and your mana managment, wich is important as well.
Just to prove you that i know what i am talking about:
http://kronos-logs.com/character_info/character/Bagdemagus

Druids, that higher of me in boss ranking, are ferals that abuse gnomeragan mace and Wolfshead Helm with shorter fight time.

CoS should cover for spell pene, so you don't really need spell pene. You can't fully eliminate partial resists anyway.

So you are saying that every bosses got excactly 75 arcane resistances? Can i have prove that Kronos got that numbers? Macro for resists doesn work, maybe GMs gave sort of table for every boss in every instance?
I can name your bosses, that have arcane resistance not covered by CoS for sure:

Broodlord Lashlayer
Ebonroc
4 Priests in ZG
Moam
Princess Yauj

Dont wanna name numbers yet, because its not confirmed information. I am at middle of tests right now, missing for Ossi bracers.

Last edited:
I think they have 145, so 70 left to penetrate. Most mages run with 30 or 40 resistance left. I personally have 60 spell pen with gear and talents, but still feel like the mobs have more resistance (still getting too many partials for only 10 resistance). Maybe you want to get rune of perfection and the rkng from skeram.

You're right. They very well may have higher resistances here on some bosses. I based my assumption off experience on another server.

Are you using an addon to test partial resistance and spell penetration out?

Yes, Glock. But the problem of this addon that he count unavoidble resistances (24 bonus resistance due lvl diffrence) very unstable. Sometimes as 10, sometimes more. And tbh i dont know what number to trust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom