• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Druid Maelstrom value for feral drood

entyckk

Hello,

I am looking for some brutal theorycrafter (Ermean help me :D) to decide what the real value of Maelstrom is for a cat druid.

This table is widely used for vanilla cat druids in order to assign values to each stat. It might not be 100% accurate, but I think it's getting there.

1agi=2.1
1str=2.4
1hit=15
1ap=1
1crit=22
1dmg=14

So if we use these values, Blackhand's Breadth is valued as 44, but for example I cannot determine what the real value for items like Heart of Wyrmthalak, Hand of Justice and Maelstrom is. I am pretty satisfied with the stats table, but I would like to know, how to determine the DPS contribution of the items with some proc chances.

Anybody around, who might wanna take the theory crafting to the next level?

Btw druid's attack speed should be one white hit per second.

If you listen closely, you can almost hear the "OMG REROLL, FERAL IS SHIT" people comimg to the thread :w00t:

Yea, I am not interested in these kind of inputs. As long as I am not on the bottom of the DPS list in the raid, I am fine with my feral druid. I am aware of the possibilities of Feral druids in Vanilla WoW as I have read a lot on this topic. I am in a casual guild and we are not looking for the "best possible" setup that you can make, we do not require pre-raid BiS items, we do not require tons of consumables, we just want to have fun while playing this game. So if it would be possible to stay on the topic, that would be nice.

I don't have any numbers for you but from what i recall Heart of Wyrmthallak and Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom are bis feral druid trinkets. It has something to do with how fast the druid attacks, boosting the likelihood of either to proc and, in theory, boosting damage output more than a constant bonus to crit from something like Blackhand's Breadth.

Hand of Justice never. The extra attack does not proc for ferals so you might as well just use Rune of the Guard Captain if you can't find anything better.

Last edited:
I don't have any numbers for you but from what i recall Heart of Wyrmthallak and Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom are bis feral druid trinkets. It has something to do with how fast the druid attacks, boosting the likelihood of either to proc and, in theory, boosting damage output more than a constant bonus to crit from something like Blackhand's Breadth.

Hand of Justice never. The extra attack does not proc for ferals so you might as well just use Rune of the Guard Captain if you can't find anything better.

Thanks. Heart of Wyrmthalak is alright, but in current content it is not worth much as most of the NPCs are fire immune or resistant. I might use it for ZG though. Regarding HoJ - where have you heard it does not proc for ferals? Because it does work for feral druids in Vanilla WoW - hence my question what is its real value? That one might be tricky because the extra attack is based on your current attack power. I wanna get the Maelstrom asap, but I am not sure what to use for the second trinket until I'll be able to get my hands on Drake Fang Talisman.

Last edited:
Good point on the fire damage being useless for MC and BWL, didn't even think of that myself.

In regards to Hand of Justice, i have been on 3 prominent vanilla servers before Kronos and each was scripted to not grant feral druids the extra attack from the trinket. I am not 100% if it is the same way here but i would find out before taking it over any melee dps only to find out that the bonus is not received.

Yea DFT is an option but the likelihood of getting it is pretty low. Getting Earthstrike might be a viable option if you are down to farm CH rep.

Last edited:
If I were to farm CH rep it would be mainly for Might of Cenarius, but I don't really feel like it :D Zandalarian Hero Medallion might be a better choice than Earthstrike, but I think getting Maelstrom should be my priority regarding itemization. I'll have to put my mage to use though in order to farm the gold for it :D

Btw regarding items like Maelstrom, does it have a static chance on hit e.g. 2% or is it based on your attack speed as well?

Everything that reads "Equip" should also work in feral form and did so when I tested it. Which was not very recent :smile:

Items like Maelstrom have a PPM. Their %-chance to trigger is dependent on attack speed.
For enchants I recommend you do some math on Counterweight (3% faster attack speed). If I remember correctly this should also work for ferals and might be superior to any other enchant.

Everything that reads "Equip" should also work in feral form and did so when I tested it. Which was not very recent :smile:

Items like Maelstrom have a PPM. Their %-chance to trigger is dependent on attack speed.
For enchants I recommend you do some math on Counterweight (3% faster attack speed). If I remember correctly this should also work for ferals and might be superior to any other enchant.

That +3% AS enchant is an interesting idea. I googled it and it should work in feral forms...Does that mean I would hit (1/0.97) times per second?

If that first conclusion is correct the math in my eyes should be answering my question: "If I were to use +3% AS enchant, what average white hit damage would I have to consistently deal in order to choose this enchant over the +9 Weapon damage enchant?"

(D+9) = (1/0.97)*D
D = 291 Damage

So if this simple equation is correct, I would have to inflict 291+ Damage with my white hits for the +3% AS to be superior. But this does not include the Special abilities as they do not benefit from faster AS but they do benefit from greater physical damage. Anyway bottom line is, even with crits included I am nowhere near 291 white hit damage. That alone would be 300 DPS and I get over that value only with using special abilities and powershifting. Maybe with naxx-content gear, but no way at this moment.

Thanks for the idea though, I liked it.

If my math is BS, feel free to correct me, it is very much possible.

Last edited:
I remember that on hit damage proc trinkets were incredibly powerful for a cat with the 1.0 attack speed. It was like 2k5 so I dont remember a lot of details, but I do remember my guild had a feral druid that would usually place very high on the damage meters, and could replace one of the tanks in the 40mans and just OT on fights that needed it. He went to the wall on damage when not needing to wear tanking gear and did very very well on the meters. We used to bring some pugs to fill spots and they'd be shocked at the cat damage =)

I rolled druid in BC cuz of that and never regretted it a bit. But in BC cat damage was very viable. I dont know if that feral guildie in vanilla was just a master or if ferals were just HIGHLY under rated and under played. I intend to find out now! I played wow from release night until early cata, like 2k4-2k9, never played since till now on Kronos.

Top Bottom