• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Rogue Mandatory leveling skills / rotation?

szsoulzek

This is in regards to which skills to skip training and what talents to avoid despite various 60 builds arguing otherwise (because things are different while leveling).

So my question is, is SnD worth it to use while leveling and moving from mob to mob? If so, what CP# do you try to use it with? And if not, is it just good ol Eviscerate spam?

So my question is, is SnD worth it to use while leveling and moving from mob to mob?

Depends.

The two most popular leveling builds are combat swords (with Riposte and BF, that kind of thing) and subtlety daggers (you are aiming to 1-3 shot a mob with Ambush, Gouge-Backstab and Evis crits to which end you take some early points in Assassination).

If it's combat swords, then you absolutely should use SnD - it will actually be your highest damage delivering ability. Oftentimes, you will also just throw a dagger to pull a new victim into the mincer.

If so, what CP# do you try to use it with?

Any. You spend your first CP to start your SnD rolling ASAP and then you keep it up all the time. This means you hit SnD when it has 0-1 seconds left regardless of how many CPs you have at the time. Again, this only applies to combat spec leveling.

Edit: All in all, this is leveling, man. The conventional stuff described above is just a suggestion. Nothing is mandatory. You don't have to be efficient unless that's what makes it fun for you.

I played a lot of WoW both on Retail and Private servers, but never played a rogue. I took a look at a thread further down and saw this post response involving a rogue leveling with daggers.

http://forum.twinstar.cz/showthread...rst-time-rogue?p=716313&viewfull=1#post716313

Since we're in beta, I figured, what the hell. It can't be too hard, right? I'm still learning the abilities and timing and the correct attacks to use at the correct health break offs and times, and yeah, it's a challenge.

I made some videos to show what the above linked poster was talking about, for levels 20, 34, and 54. I have a cold and so I sound like Joel Hodgeson from Mystery Science Theater 3000. My voice sounds depressed. Anyway...

level 20 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQaRTwb-5Fc
level 34 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBjVrZI05Q
level 54 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z6SNPNgSxc

I screw up with using Ghostly Strike several times when I shouldn't have. Other than that, I feel it's pretty viable. I'm used to solo leveling in open world with a Feral druid, and with that character you open with a Pounce if you feel like a pro, Feral Faerie Fire, Rake, claw up some CP's and either Ferocious Bite or Rip a bit early into the fight if it's a high health target, like a Yeti.

I felt like the Dagger Rogue doing the Ambush - Gouge - Backstab combo and then deciding to finish the fight early with an Ambush or extending the fight with a Slice and Dice and a Ghostly Strike felt pretty comparable.

Edit - answering your Slice and Dice question, I'm not a rogue pro at all. I'm just learning the class. But looking at the math, if you're using poisoned weapons and/or weapon enchantments with procs (fiery, icey, etc.) then Slice and Dice hands down becomes very powerful to use all the time, if your target's health will allow for a decent duration. If your target's health is crap due to good crit strings, Eviscerate is the winner.

Oh right. I forgot some useful macros.

1) Gouge if the ability is off of Cooldown, Backstab if Gouge is recharging. My Gouge ability is located on the 11th box of my 2nd Right Side action bar.

/script local a=GetActionCooldown(47); if a==0 then CastSpellByName('gouge') else CastSpellByName('backstab');end

2) Lazy Solo PvE sinister strike / eviscerate macro, w/ Ghostly Strike if off of Cooldown. The idea here is that after I open with Ambush, perform a Gouge, wait for some energy and hit a Backstab, I can tell how much health the enemy has and what will be needed to end the fight. If it looks tough, I'll wait the energy recovery so that enough is available for a Ghostly Strike and I'll lead off with this macro, and it will perform a 4 point Eviscerate next.

If the enemy is low on health, I'll spam the button and it will execute the lower cost Eviscerate instead of the Ghostly Strike with 3 Combo Points for ending the fight. Ghostly Strike is found on the 10th box of the 2nd right hand side action bar.

/script local b=GetActionCooldown(46); if b==0 then CastSpellByName('ghostly strike');end
/script if GetComboPoints()>=4 then CastSpellByName('eviscerate') else CastSpellByName('sinister strike');end

3) Stealth / Slice and Dice macro. If I'm out of combat then I stealth (or come out of stealth) hitting the button. If I'm in combat, I'll perform a Slice and Dice ender instead.

/run if UnitAffectingCombat('player') then CastSpellByName('slice and dice') else CastSpellByName('stealth');end

Edit - the above macros are useful but I do not advocate using them at all UNLESS you have key attacks or secondary macros on keys that you're able to use quickly for a PvP situation. The above is just for brainless farming. A live target is going to require that you use ALL of your abilities at the right times, at the right health levels, or in response to things the enemy player is doing. You'll die horribly if you try to 2 or 3 key button mashing fight against someone using the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really liked watching that Skosh, thanks for making those videos. Nice to still see a bit of innovation so far after the game's release.

Thank you very much! I'm a complete noob at both being a rogue and recording videos, so the good news is I can only improve from here.

After more testing and practice, the lazy PvE macro that I had listed above that could trigger either a Ghostly Strike or an Eviscerate was too unreliable. It's more important that I have control over whether I Sinister Strike, Ghostly Strike, or fire off an Eviscerate after I've done my Ambush - Gouge - Backstab combo.

I moved my Ghostly Strike key to my number 4 slot, so it's easy for my finger to hit it without a mistake. Here's the revised lazy PvE macro.

Start Autoattack if not already attacking. This will trigger a Sinister Strike if not at 3 Combo Points, or fire off an Eviscerate if at 3 combo points. My Auto Attack ability is dropped into my final #12 slot of my 2nd Right Hand ability bar.

/script if not IsCurrentAction(48) then AttackTarget();end
/script if GetComboPoints()>=3 then CastSpellByName('eviscerate') else CastSpellByName('sinister strike');end

The idea is that I Ambush, Gouge, Backstab, and if the target has very low health from 2 ability crits, I hit the key once and finish the fight with a 3 CBP Eviscerate. If the target has a sufficient amount of health to prolong the fight, I have a pair of options. I can do a 3 point Slice and Dice and wear the target down for a while and then Gouge / Backstab again, or I can trigger a Ghostly Strike which takes me up to 4 CBP instead and then do a 4 point Eviscerate.

Far fewer mistakes are being made when I do it this way, which is a really good thing.

If you are at all interested in subtlety daggers, please vote: https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=942

Sucks that it's bugged but I just don't like that talent. Unlike the priest one (which helps you regen mana regardless of how your speed is) this one requires you engage a new target within 20 seconds for the talent to actually do anything. This really isn't all that realistic when you have to bandage and eat in Vanilla unless you are grinding easy greens.

On top of that, rogue has so many good talents that are just better than this (5% hit, all the backstab damage and crits if you're going daggers, etc).

Sucks that it's bugged but I just don't like that talent. Unlike the priest one (which helps you regen mana regardless of how your speed is) this one requires you engage a new target within 20 seconds for the talent to actually do anything. This really isn't all that realistic when you have to bandage and eat in Vanilla unless you are grinding easy greens.

Again, it depends on your build and your targets to a certain degree. As you could see from my videos above where the test rogue used no consumables, enchatments, and only modest gear, the Remorseless Attacks buff would have a 100% uptime and a HUGE usefulness as the build was capable of killing 6-8 mobs in a row without needing to eat due to Ambush + Backstab crits.

If you're leveling as combat, sure, it's not as necessary. For a dagger rogue it's 2 of the very best talent points you can spend for leveling. Again, I'm new to a rogue so the leveling ease of the build above be even better if you have practice (which I didn't :( )

image.png

[video=youtube;kxopViU98Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo[/video]

Chero is so amazing. Now I need to plot out Dagger quest rewards and minimum levels to take those quests, and decide on if I'm going Horde or Ally. I wanna be on the side with the lower population.

edit - numerous Grizzly members and a metric f*ckton of Nost refugees are rolling horde it seems.
I'm rolling Alliance. Too many of my fellow countrymen are unforgiveably revolting.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I'm about to start a rogue but wasnt really excited about combat leveling. But after seeing this Im hyped! :)

Top Bottom