• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other Need a lot of help picking a class

RudyRaccoon

Ok first to make this more simple I'm going to exclude Warrior and Mage because I hate the stance dancing mechanic of Warrior and as for Mage although slowing stuff down with frost spells is great but I'm having problem trying to pull off Frost Nova, I'm trying to pull it off without ever getting hit but a lot of times I'm not near enough and end up missing completely, it's a spell that requires practice and it's hard to judge distance in my opinion so Mage is not for me.

Now I don't know about rolling a class that can heal if my main attention is to dps? Considering this is Vanilla I believe you'll be forced to be a healer because the other specs don't work if you plan to raid, you can't raid tank as Paladin which is a shame. I think even if PvP they want the healing classes to be healers anyway. But do I like healing? I don't know, I have done it before and I thought it was ok but it's not really something I want to do.

I have tried Rogue before, it seemed alright but questing as a Rogue is very difficult, your only way of healing in combat is bandages and they have a lot of cooldowns so you have to keep waiting 5 minutes just to use most things, it's annoying as they seem just as fragile as Mage. I don't know if I was doing something wrong?

Hunter and Warlock require multitasking with pets/minions, although people say both I imagine Hunter being a pain in the bum having to travel everywhere just to tame a pet that has the next rank of a pet skill, then there's the matter of actually applying the new rank ability to the pet, this training points thing for pets is messy.

Warlock is easy mode, all you need is a hotkey to send voidwalker to attack. Rogue kills stuff super-fast if you keep his weapons up-to-date with his level (dungeon gear, AH) - don't underestimate instant poisons and 2x Fiery Weapon enchantments.

Since you seem to be bothered by a lot of things, just go warlock. Since your voidwalker takes all the damage you don't need to take care of your gear at all. Just nuke.

Warlock is easy mode, all you need is a hotkey to send voidwalker to attack. Rogue kills stuff super-fast if you keep his weapons up-to-date with his level (dungeon gear, AH) - don't underestimate instant poisons and 2x Fiery Weapon enchantments.

Since you seem to be bothered by a lot of things, just go warlock. Since your voidwalker takes all the damage you don't need to take care of your gear at all. Just nuke.

How do Warlocks work again? I haven't played Warlock a lot but I thought all Warlocks do is just dots, I'm not sure if your supposed to use Shadowbolt or anything like that else you cause aggro off the Voidwalker?

Could you go into more detail about Rogue as well? Like what weapon type, specs and poisons should you use like what is the difference between Combat swords and the Hemo Swords spec?

Warlocks have great survivability and crowd control. Healthstones are like a free health potion :D
Leveled one on Nost. Before you get voidwalker, pretty much put all your DoTs and shadowbolt. Smooth after you get the voidwalker at level 10. Tanks everything and can heal him by using your own health. Get a demon quest at every 10 levels and free mounts. Can leech health and mana. Demonology is probably your best bet for leveling but Affliction is also equal. Just pick which you want between them, Affliction is also more pvp. Destro is pve dps. You end up mixing quite a bit though, between multiple trees. So there's a lot of fun and choice you can have, especially as I said both Demo and Afflic are just as good for leveling. Afflic = dots, demo = you and your pet. Check out the trees at a talent calculator like http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#I

Currently leveling a Rogue, first character on server. Combat swords is by far the easiest and smoothest. Been proven everywhere. No point picking any other spec until you decided what you want to do at 60. I spam sinister strike and slice n dice, as the speed from the auto attacks are better than the instant damage from eviscerate, unless i already have slice n dice up. This is why you don't use the big cooldowns for leveling and as a result don't specc other trees unless you need to mix for better stuff or assassination. I use evasion and sprint sometime (both 2 minute cooldowns), because those aren't something you need to save for anything, just use them whenever is a good time. I even use sprint just to run over long distances.

Assassination only offers some tier 1-3 talents that are good for leveling, otherwise it's all about poison and pvp. Subtlety is all about stealth and burst cooldowns. Both of those trees have 2 great cool downs, but aren't for leveling at all really. Combat is for steady dps. Don't pick anything but sword specialization unless you are sure you'll be using the other stuff, but daggers are not as good anyway. Maces and fist weapons? Well, unless you want to hassle yourself just stick with swords.

Basic leveling tip: Go combat talent tree > Sinister strike (2 points), Dodge chance (3 points), Parry Chance (5 points), riposte 1 point (great ability for leveling, it's what makes everyone go combat and make it the best route to level with, like I said proven everywhere) and then pick up the 5 points in the hit chance talent.

Only need to use big cooldowns like every other class: when you come across a boss mob etc bad situation etc.

Only occasionally did I need a health potion, but that's because I was doing something very difficult anyway or I was just starting a fight at 10% hp.

However it's been very fast leveling the rogue, I do so much damage I can kill everything my level at 20% hp. I am a level 13 rogue, rng plays a big roll against a 15 raptor in barrens, but it's as every other class really. It is very fast though, especially as I have tried rerolling a warrior multiple times in the past. Stance dancing never bothered me, though yeah I do agree it's a little bit of hassle. But you can always think of it as your way of being versatile in dungeons etc, able to help the group. I always needed to eat and bandage myself as a warrior, but with my rogue it's a dps race. If you need any rogue builds I can help. Ughh, as a warrior I couldn't fight anything above my level. -_-

I have chosen not to level up a profession as It is a bit of a challenge itself, to stay invested in vanilla for me personally.

Also I love your picture, it's adorable. Take care and follow your dreams, you beautiful person.

Last edited:
Ah thanks Irvin, it's my raccoon fursona. :laugh:

For professions at the start go with Mining/Herb and Skinning and then when at 60 with enough gold you can drop one of them and pick a crafting profession.

So as a Warlock as soon as you have a voidwalker then all you do is put your dots on the mobs, health funnel voidwalker, drain life and then finish mob off with drain soul unless you've got enough shards, I think that's how Warlock works, I don't really know what the spell rotation is?

For Rogue I liked to at least have MoD and Camouflage because it makes getting around tight spots much easier and it makes pickpocketing easier too to gain some extra coinage. But I still wouldn't know if your meant to use Dagger even if you plan to PvP?

Ah thanks Irvin, it's my raccoon fursona. :laugh:

For professions at the start go with Mining/Herb and Skinning and then when at 60 with enough gold you can drop one of them and pick a crafting profession.

So as a Warlock as soon as you have a voidwalker then all you do is put your dots on the mobs, health funnel voidwalker, drain life and then finish mob off with drain soul unless you've got enough shards, I think that's how Warlock works, I don't really know what the spell rotation is?

For Rogue I liked to at least have MoD and Camouflage because it makes getting around tight spots much easier and it makes pickpocketing easier too to gain some extra coinage. But I still wouldn't know if your meant to use Dagger even if you plan to PvP?

Did you make it? I wanna get a Wolf fursona but I suck at art :p

I can't be bothered to do professions, so I'll rely on pick pocketting and random auction housing.

Nah you won't usually need to heal the VW, he's so tanky. You'll see. Prior to getting one though, you'll basically use every spell you can, apart from curses as you can only have one per warlock on the target.

You won't need MoD and Camouflage because if you want to just level faster, you'll run up to mobs. You feel more like a fighter, as apposed to thief, but that's the way it is until Cata leveling I think. I really enjoyed Cata leveling with a sub rogue :D You'd feel like a complete ninja almost 1 shotting with ambush.

Anyway, yeah you won't even need MoD or Camouflage even for pick pocketing, that's easy enough and I do it. You'd prefer using swords leveling combat, every other specc requires daggers I think. Because they use backstab and ambush that require daggers.

No, I didn't actually, I'm not so good at art either although I did draw this a long while back. http://fav.me/d1ksll3

Well the professions I mentioned are what I've been doing although I'm not sure what crafting profession to get in the end, people say go with Engineering for a PvP advantage but Alchemy has some great stuff, you can make speed potions.

Well what I'm trying to say about Warlock is do you ever have to use any of the Destruction spells like Shadowbolt or are using those spells not viable because of gaining aggro?

To be honest I find pickpocketing a bit hard to do, I always get discovered by mobs easily because by the time I get behind them they instantly turn around, instantly see me and attack, the mobs never seem to stay still while I'm very very slowly sneaking to their back.

Anyway, if I roll a Warlock is it alright if I play on Alliance? It's just that I heard Alliance Warlocks have a disadvantage because of Horde having Shamans.

No, I didn't actually, I'm not so good at art either although I did draw this a long while back. http://fav.me/d1ksll3

Well the professions I mentioned are what I've been doing although I'm not sure what crafting profession to get in the end, people say go with Engineering for a PvP advantage but Alchemy has some great stuff, you can make speed potions.

Well what I'm trying to say about Warlock is do you ever have to use any of the Destruction spells like Shadowbolt or are using those spells not viable because of gaining aggro?

To be honest I find pickpocketing a bit hard to do, I always get discovered by mobs easily because by the time I get behind them they instantly turn around, instantly see me and attack, the mobs never seem to stay still while I'm very very slowly sneaking to their back.

Anyway, if I roll a Warlock is it alright if I play on Alliance? It's just that I heard Alliance Warlocks have a disadvantage because of Horde having Shamans.

Sorry for the late reply! School :S

Personally I don't feel like I need MoD camouflage etc. You use shadowbolt whatever specc you are, like a heroic strike, judgement etc. It's pretty much to kill time as your only source of damage unless you specc into a lot of destro i think. Play whatever faction you feel like, that disadvantage is as minor as being a night elf warrior, just because of the 1% dodge. It's only for the complete try hard etc. Don't worry about race combos. Just enjoy.

I loved that drawing from you. Take care and follow your dreams, they'll come true, Mark. :)

Last edited:
Hey, no worries. :smile:

Well it looks like I'm going with Warlock. Demo or Affliction you say, ok, I don't know which spec variation like between common ones like SM/Ruin or an Affliction/Demo spec but your information has been very helpful to me. :smile:

Oh thank you, your very kind. :biggrin:

Update: Ok, it didn't quite go the way I wanted it since the last post, I was talking into the world channel for suggestions, not much luck and then all sudden a GM came to see me in game which is a first for me. I explained that I wasn't interested in healing and I tend to lean more towards dps. I explained my trouble with Mage despite it actually being one of my favourites, I told him about my issue with Frost Nova, he says you just need practice. Hunter and Warlock I'm very neutral about, Vanilla Hunter is very annoying like I already said in the first post. Warlock, it plays fine but casting fear might be a bit of a concern like the mob would run into other mobs and aggro them. Despite the nice GM trying to help, we were still no wiser. :huh:

Last edited:
If the frost nova range is the only problem you have with mages, roll a mage. It took me like one level to get a feeling for it. There are things with just any class that you have to get comfortable with. Other than that I think its pretty easy to maintain distance as a mage.

I have the problem that I roll a class, play it to 15-20, go man, I miss X ability, and roll another class. I suffered from this in 2005 as well. It is driving me crazy.

Top Bottom