• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Other New player, which healing class to choose?

omarion2322

Hello community :)
I've previously played on many PvE oriented WotLK private servers and on Retail during WotLK + Cataclysm entirely as a healer (Disco + Holy Priest). At that time, I was raiding with progression guilds (both retail and private) so my focus is almost entirely PvE.

To the real question, what healing classes are needed on the server? Also, as a player who never played Vanilla and is tempted to try the original WoW experience, which classes are recommended?

Healers are needed for 5man & raids.
Tanks are needed for 5man only.
Enough DPS it seems. Too few locks / druids in some guilds though...

Horde or Alliance, restro druid is needed more often than others.

For Alliance, if you wanna stay priest, go Dwarf for fear ward.

For horde, troll Shammy.

I'm probably going to roll Alliance, playing a Paladin doesn't really do it for me, and I'll probably decide between a Priest or a Druid.
Which is more in demand and which is more fun in your opinion overall?

Druid is in more demand. Priest, being dwarf will get you a raid spot.

Think.of priest as a reactive healing, and druid as proactive healing.

Ex:

Priest: Tank takes a damage spike, you would then shield, flash heal.

Druid: Pre-Hot tank with rank 2 regrowth, and max rank rejuvenation, swift med take after the damage.

If you learn fights, when (range or melee) people take damage, you can pre-HoT the people who will take damage with Rank 2 regrowth, and then spam th r m with rejuvenation after, will top meters and take a lot of stress of others.

I like that style more than priest, but takes a lot of fight knowledge to know who is gonna take damage before it happens.

Priest can do some of the same, but can also be a good MT healer.

Druid is in more demand. Priest, being dwarf will get you a raid spot.

Think.of priest as a reactive healing, and druid as proactive healing.

Ex:

Priest: Tank takes a damage spike, you would then shield, flash heal.

Druid: Pre-Hot tank with rank 2 regrowth, and max rank rejuvenation, swift med take after the damage.

If you learn fights, when (range or melee) people take damage, you can pre-HoT the people who will take damage with Rank 2 regrowth, and then spam th r m with rejuvenation after, will top meters and take a lot of stress of others.

I like that style more than priest, but takes a lot of fight knowledge to know who is gonna take damage before it happens.

Priest can do some of the same, but can also be a good MT healer.

Reminds me why I enjoyed Disc Priests back in WotLK, you really had to know the bosses and the phases properly in order to do well and progress. Resto Druid it is, thanks!

Paladins are excellent raid healers. They are also buff bots and dispel bots. In later endgame content, they become probably the best healers cuz they're critting all the time and never going oom.

Druids are probably the weakest healers, usually only 2 per raid, and do not scale well into endgame, but are always necessary and bring great utility to the raid. You will be innervating priests a lot.

Priest are the best tank healers and can compete with Paladins in raid healing. Also have the option of going disc for PI buff. Generally are the best all around healers. Going Dwarf for fear ward is great for MC and BWL, but human priest with +5% spirit racial is the optimal min/max priest race. In later content that racial really starts to shine when you're stacking big amounts of spirit.

Shaman raid healing with chain heal is OP and are in high demand in every horde raid cuz totems.

Last edited:
Paladins are excellent raid healers. .....

Druids are probably the weakest healers......

and do not scale well into endgame....

Priest are the best tank healers and can compete with Paladins in raid healing. ....

Start with the palli comment, "Paladins are excellent raid healers"

Just cause you have mana from crits, doesn't make you a good raid healer. Raid damage is smaller typically which lines up with pallies fast, small heals, however "raid damage" usually happens to all the melee, all the ranged, or the entire raid. The have no way of preemptively healing this like druids or priest can with down ranked HoTs, to get multiple people healed at once. They are not "Excellent raid healers".

To sum up why pallies are so good, is when on the back of a tank they deliver constant small heals, close to 2 small heals per boss/mob auto attack. This keeps a constant non-overhealing flow of +HP on the current tank(s) that pairs well with a priest spot healing the damage spikes, and ticks nicely with the druid/priest HoTs.

And on some bosses they are debuff/dispell bitches, and is nice if they have an MP5 set for these few encounters.

Turning to wrong statement #2 "druids... weak healers.... do not scale well into endgame".

Druids scale the BEST with end game gear.

Guild: <De Profundis> one of the top horde guilds on VanillaGaming:

http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidOverview.aspx?Raid=43886 druid is only beatn' out by the OP shammy chain healing.

Guild <Chaos> other top horde guild on VanillaGaming:

http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidOverview.aspx?Raid=43851 druid is top healer.

Guild <Equilibrium> one of the top alliance guilds on VanillaGaming:

http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidOverview.aspx?Raid=43997 druid is top raw healing, and another in the top 4.

Keep bringing them just to innervate, I'll be expecting a bit more production out of my druids.

It's hilarious is that in each of those examples you gave, there's only 2 druids per raid. In one of them, they have 3. Wonder why that is?

Your entire premise that top of the meters = best healer is totally flawed. Healing is not the same as dps meter whoring. Top of the list doesn't mean shit.

Lastly, yeah, a paladin backing up a priest in raid healing is a great team up. Paladin keeps a steady stream of small heals and the priest drops bombs. You also typically have many paladins in a raid for buffing, and you don't need them all on the tanks all the time.

Druids are unique and necessary healers, not just innervate bots, but there's a reason that only 2 spots exist for resto druids in most raids. There's also the "bring the player not the class" mentality that correctly states you should bring your excellent druid healer instead of your mediocre priest any day of the week.

Why not more druids?

Because "Horde or Alliance, restro druid is needed more often than others."

Also doesn't help when new people think about being a druid that others give incorrect information and push them into playing another healer class. Further adding to the issue of lack of druids.

To add, am I saying you should bring 7 druids? No. Because you close the benefits pallies bring with pumping small heals, or a shammy easy/breezy healing melee (Buffs/Totems).

4 is a good cap on druid. 3 is best statistically to keep them from overwriting HoTs if they are all the same spec.

Ideally you'd want 2 moonglow and 1 Natures Swiftness, NS one being assigned to main tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also good to point out that you're not going to be raiding all the time and druids can do other things in feral or boomkin spec that priests can't do. Priests have 2 healing specs and 1 dps/pvp caster spec. Druids can be healer, tank, melee dps/pvp, or caster dps/pvp.

But in raids, you will 100% have to be healing.

4 is too many druids. You're either replacing priests or paladins with druids, which isn't a great idea, or you're replacing dps with healers, which you also don't want to do if you can avoid it. 2, maybe 3 maximum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom