• Dear Guest,

You're browsing our forum as a Guest meaning you can only see a portion of the forum in read-only mode.
    To view all forum nodes and be able to create threads/posts please register or log-in with your existing account.

TwinStar team

Problem Opinion : The Group XP Buff on K3 was a misstep

Vanilla should be Vanilla. Why is it so difficult to sublimate your own personal desires to a baseline? Sticking with the standard is the only way to avoid this selfish bickering about what features should be in or out. Nobody should be catered to, or left out in the cold. Just make it as faithful as possible.

I dislike the bonus group exp personally. I found this server late, didn't really have time to meet a bunch of buddies for a good group throughout 1-60. Wouldn't let me log on for 1-2 days at start of server release.. so i was 20+ levels behind other players. Now that I'm finally in all i see is groups of 3-5 lvl 40+ and they have no room for other players, they steal every tag from ya and leave you for the 5 man opposing faction group to spawn kill you. Basically if you don't play in a group you are gonna be pretty far behind. Doesn't matter how experienced you are. Also what they said above.. groups of 50-60 now get to farm so much extra loot. Gonna kill the economy a bit with the crazy respawns and groups of 5.

I agree problem is both dynamic spawn rates and xp buff. The only thing I like about the xp buff, is thinking that at least, those who do AoE will advance levels faster, and thus be weaker at X level than me slightly because I spend most XP-time killing mobs, so you know I can actually still get a little bit richer doing something else than joining aoe group.. but it would be better with no bonus xp (so less people would do this) and also no dynamic respawn (also so less people would do this, and all the other benefits in terms of rythm and balance of mob kills vs traveling questing tracking pvp population management (cause ppl would likely leave an crowded area if there are no mobs) and etc)

I mean AoEGroup vs solo mob kill to get more wealth (or somebody who would gather a lot of stuff for example between level ups or between mob kills and etc)

because yes for me also half the game is 1-60 then another half after 60 pretty much, it is very important to me the dynamics of the game as originally balanced while leveling, it makes the experience great when all is in balance as designed by the devs yo

Vanilla lovers: "Retail is horrible since they made all these convenience changes. Vanilla was great because it didn't make everything easy!!" (Creates server -> Immediately makes convenience changes)

this was very big fail at 1st you make vanilla server and than because there will be so much people in you will respawn mobs faster... what a logic.

I totatlly agree it just destroys the vanilla feeling, and Im saying it while playing a mage... Is there any Information when it will be changed back? I think it due time already after 1-2 weeks after launchin...

What are you even talking about ? If you rush to lvl 60 in 2 or 3 weeks you dont care about lvling anyway. You want to be 60 asap. I dont think thar the minor increase in group xp makes that big of a difference. It pronotes group play for once. Usually lvling as a grp is way slower than solo. I would say it is comparable now. Also what stops you from finding a group yourself? There are more than enough ppl to grp with.

Between K1 & K3 people got to 60 around the same time... i cannot see the difference to be honest... its quite a minor thing that only makes it less negative to form small groups to do a quest instead of going solo... easy to collect thumbs up while thats the only thing that functions i wonder how many countless downs this post would have had if people had the option... I also see some people complain about vanill feeling but those are usually the people who believe that the gathering stone was a summoning stone in vanilla and literally confuse patch & expansions anyways...

the XP buff has really caused some issues. Questing seems a bit tricky in some spots because mage AoE groups.

i wish they made nerfed xp, and gave us less quest so leveling took longer. so i can practice for classic. leveling is prob my favorite part about vanilla.

Reactions: dms
the XP buff has really caused some issues. Questing seems a bit tricky in some spots because mage AoE groups.
"A bit tricky"?? Understatement of the month. I can't set foot in a popular questing area without a troop of mages blasting by me leaving the area entirely devoid of life.

I dont know why im still bothering with this thread.

No the aoe groups do not farm at popular questing spots theres not enough mobs to kill, the aoe spots are very specific outside of populated spots to avoid contesting for the tags.

You are arguing that mages and other classes would not aoe farm without the group xp buff? Of course they would. Questing is not that much slower since they fixed the dynamic respawn bug (mobs spawning faster when only partially looted).

With current high population the group xp buff encourages doing low lvl dungeons and grouping for quests as its not that penalizing anymore, complaining about aoe farming is idiotic as it would happen with or without the group xp buff.

I dont know why im still bothering with this thread.
No the aoe groups do not farm at popular questing spots theres not enough mobs to kill, the aoe spots are very specific outside of populated spots to avoid contesting for the tags.
You are arguing that mages and other classes would not aoe farm without the group xp buff? Of course they would. Questing is not that much slower since they fixed the dynamic respawn bug (mobs spawning faster when only partially looted).
With current high population the group xp buff encourages doing low lvl dungeons and grouping for quests as its not that penalizing anymore, complaining about aoe farming is idiotic as it would happen with or without the group xp buff.
AoE farming without group xp bonuses were usually done by solo mages not groups of 5. Also I always had the impression that a majority of mages were questing normally on blizzlike servers. As it stands now the /world chat has more messages about "LF mage AoE farm" or whatever than it has LFG for dungeon groups. It's a travesty and I'm not sure why you're defending this.

The aoe farming feels very bad, BUT it's doesn't really affect "normal" people. It will ofc make stuff like Felcloth as valuable as toiletpaper, but other things could increase in value, like fish that can't be aoe-farmed ;)

The aoe farming feels very bad, BUT it's doesn't really affect "normal" people. It will ofc make stuff like Felcloth as valuable as toiletpaper, but other things could increase in value, like fish that can't be aoe-farmed ;)
I disagree. I see people make the same argument about servers that offer instant 60. "You don't have to take the instant 60 you can just as well choose to lvl 1-60 the normal way". To which you will obviously reply "Yeah but I will be the only one doing it". We have a similar situation with Kronos 3 AoE farming although not quite as extreme.

AoE farming without group xp bonuses were usually done by solo mages not groups of 5. Also I always had the impression that a majority of mages were questing normally on blizzlike servers. As it stands now the /world chat has more messages about "LF mage AoE farm" or whatever than it has LFG for dungeon groups. It's a travesty and I'm not sure why you're defending this.
You still dont understand that people know more about the game now ? You are chasing for the blizzlike experience, and the blizzlike experience is that people are retarded. Same thing with felcloth devilsaur leather etc. You think people dont know that these items are needed? Of course they will be farmed and if you have even a slight grasp of basic economics, what do you think happens to the value of goods when supply skyrockets?

Yes aoefarming in groups is slightly faster at the moment, not as fast as it used to be and ppl just have the thought in their heads now that you must do it to level. Questing is still relevant and works fine.

Can the staff do something about people on forums crying about non-blizzlike features. I remember playing during vanilla and nobody ever cried on realm forums about blizzard implementing non-blizzlike features. I know people will tell me I don’t have to read the forums, but just as people are forced to stay on World channel reading to "LF mage AoE farm", so am I forced to read the forums. This really ruins it for us who try to relive the amazing vanilla experience.

Also, the world channel is a totally non-blizzlike feature and I would ask the server admins to remove it. It makes looking for groups way too easy and wasn’t present in 2005. The admins should also look for ways to prevent people from accessing vanilla databases (except thottbot), because using those makes leveling trivially easy and totally destroys the “vanilla feel” for me. Again, I don’t have use the databases, but the fact that other people do is enough to diminish the vanilla experience for everybody. After all, in vanilla leveling what other people do is far more important than what you do. Using the old class talents is another way the admins could improve the leveling experience for us players. Remove the group xp-buff and dynamic respawns, because those can help people level faster (very bad) and can also be used to farm gold and consumables in a non-blizzlike fashion The latter might lead to inflation, which would make it easier for players to access epic mounts (very, very bad).

I hope the admins will continue prioritising fixing pre-60 issues, because while level 60 dungeons/raids and battlegrounds are nice and all that, the leveling experience is infinitely more important. I mean, let’s face it, fixing the kodo quests in Desolace is without a doubt the single greatest achievement of the Kronos staff. Kronos staff should use their time to watch old vanilla leveling videos to make sure all quests work as intended and give the appropriate amount of experience. Stuff like proc rates and warriors globaling people in battlegrounds are of little importance and should only be look into after all pre-60 content has been checked and double-checked.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Last edited:
Boltzmann you're portraying the complaint about AoE farming as an illegitimate concern while at the same time you're portraying game/class balance issues as legitimate concerns later on in the post. The thing is the AoE farming issue IS a game/class balance issue. Rather than "can help people level faster", it's "mages/warlocks and healers get 88k/hour". It's a class balance issue just like the way hunters could farm twice as much gold as everyone else in DM north was a class balance issue.

Top Bottom